Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by PHM76
G-ZBJG did not have Wi-Fi yesterday. Crew said the aircraft had not been fitted with it but perhaps it was a technical fault.
As I type this, I believe that :
1. None of the B787-8s have WiFi,
2. B787-9s G-ZBKE/F/R/S are also still not fitted, although the new B777-300ERs have now all been to Cardiff to have their WiFi installed having entered service without it, for some reason it wasn't installed on the production line like the B787-10s and A350s.

You can eyeball whether your aircraft has WiFi or not, there's a bloody great flat aerial thing (actual technical term right there good people, be blinded by my level of science !) on top of the forward fuselage on the B777-200ERs, mid fuselage on the B787-9s and on the rear fuselage of the B777-300ERs and all the A350-1000s. It's not aerodynamic friendly believe me!

Last edited by skipness1E; Dec 7, 2021 at 8:04 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
G-ZBKF didnt have WiFi on 17 MAR flight to IAH

on G-ZBKS today (IAH-LHR) - doesnt show wifi too
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Tried the wifi on the BA0195 from LHR-IAH yesterday.

Firstly, bought the messaging full flight package (£4.99). I couldn't send any messages, I did receive an e-mail after an hour or so. Most of the time I couldn't even get a single 32 byte packet of data through (tested by pinging microsoft.com or ba.com).

In case it was the cheapo package that was the problem I then bought the full flight package advertised for streaming, web browsing etc (£17.99). I left my laptop connected for the full 8 hour flight, but it failed to send an e-mail with a 600KB attachment.

So, neither seemed suitable for purpose. I didn't complain directly, but I overheard numerous other complaints (with no resolution).

Is this normal for transatlantic/over USA? Or was there a specific issue with this flight?

It really would be better to have nothing at all I think - it would at least have meant I could get another couple of hours sleep (or champagne time) instead of trying in vain to do some work...

Do BA do refunds?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by richonlybyname
Tried the wifi on the BA0195 from LHR-IAH yesterday.

Firstly, bought the messaging full flight package (£4.99). I couldn't send any messages, I did receive an e-mail after an hour or so. Most of the time I couldn't even get a single 32 byte packet of data through (tested by pinging microsoft.com or ba.com).

In case it was the cheapo package that was the problem I then bought the full flight package advertised for streaming, web browsing etc. I left my laptop connected for the full 8 hour flight, but it failed to send an e-mail with a 600KB attachment.

So, neither seemed suitable for purpose. I didn't complain directly, but I overheard numerous other complaints (with no resolution).

Is this normal for transatlantic/over USA? Or was there a specific issue with this flight?

It really would be better to have nothing at all I think - it would at least have meant I could get another couple of hours sleep (or champagne time) instead of trying in vain to do some work...

Do BA do refunds?
I share your pain. It's incredibly frustrating when that happens and I agree with you, you'd have been better off not trying in the first place. When this has happened to me on both BA and AA I have requested and received refunds without any problem. Last time I did it with BA I used the customer services web form.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
I share your pain. It's incredibly frustrating when that happens and I agree with you, you'd have been better off not trying in the first place. When this has happened to me on both BA and AA I have requested and received refunds without any problem.
Indeed, there seems to be a major disparity between what is advertised here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us.../wifi-on-board

"Stream music, video content and films" - that's totally unrealistic in my experience.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:37 am

"Stream music, video content and films" - that's totally unrealistic in my experience.
I've had good experiences too but 'good' for me is a fairly low bar with access to email, WhatsApp and cloud based systems. I wouldn't expect to be able to stream stuff regardless of what the blurb says.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:42 am

Flew LHR to San this past Sunday and despite a few of us telling the crew the WiFi couldn't be connected to, they blamed user error and said it was working fine. At least we couldn't actually get to the payment screen to get ripped off.

A bit of a contrast to our internal Southwest flight to Vegas yesterday, rock solid WiFi for the full 45 mins, free WhatsApp messaging, live TV, 2 free checked bags, 2 snacks offered, free soft drinks for £50.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I can normally stream Spotify on longhauls, though I have to make a point of starting and thus updating Spotify on the ground just in case it starts trying to download 60 new tracks when in the air. My experiences with BA's Wifi is that I can usually get it to work quite well, apart from inner Greenland and the seriously cold bits of Canada, but once in a while the system won't work for any passenger. I have also had refunds without quibble.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Are the four remaining B787-9s (G-ZBKE/F/R/S) scheduled to be fitted with WiFi this year? Any plans for the B787-8 fleet to be fitted? Wiki says 6/12 are done but none have the very obvious upper fuselage fairing.
I note the new B777-300ERs had theirs fitted at Cardiff some months after delivery.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:17 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Is it normal for an iPhone to disconnect from the Wi-Fi after the phone’s screen locks? Every time I wake up my phone from the Lock Screen, the Wi-Fi icon in the top right is gone, I have to go into Settings to connect to BAWi-Fi again, and only then does the phone reconnect to the network. Makes it tough to download/send things in the background or even get push notifications.

If it makes a difference, I bought the full-flight plan for LHR-EWR on the 777-200.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
Is it normal for an iPhone to disconnect from the Wi-Fi after the phone’s screen locks? Every time I wake up my phone from the Lock Screen, the Wi-Fi icon in the top right is gone, I have to go into Settings to connect to BAWi-Fi again, and only then does the phone reconnect to the network. Makes it tough to download/send things in the background or even get push notifications.

If it makes a difference, I bought the full-flight plan for LHR-EWR on the 777-200.
No, that's not normal and I suspect it's more likely to be an issue with your phone. There are quite a few suggestions on how to fix that on the internet. Here's one but I can't vouch for its veracity as I've not had this problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250285673
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:30 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
No, that's not normal and I suspect it's more likely to be an issue with your phone. There are quite a few suggestions on how to fix that on the internet. Here's one but I can't vouch for its veracity as I've not had this problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250285673
That was a perfect solution - I switched off networking location services, and it did the trick. Thanks for the link to the Apple Forum. I’d found a bunch of others, but not that specific one. Many thanks!
golfmad and abraxias like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Brownyboy
Flew LHR to San this past Sunday and despite a few of us telling the crew the WiFi couldn't be connected to, they blamed user error and said it was working fine. At least we couldn't actually get to the payment screen to get ripped off.

A bit of a contrast to our internal Southwest flight to Vegas yesterday, rock solid WiFi for the full 45 mins, free WhatsApp messaging, live TV, 2 free checked bags, 2 snacks offered, free soft drinks for £50.
I had the same experience LHR-SAN on the 2nd April. I gave up after 20 minutes.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Wifi on 787s - am I just unlucky?

Just got back from a trip ORD/LHR/ORD. On neither flight was there WiFi. I thought we were finally at the point when it was effectively standard, but I'm clearly wrong. I could not get any coherent info from the IFM today (on BA297 20 April) as to whether it was not working, or if the plane did not even have the technology. Very frustrating.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
There are just 4 of 18 B789 aircraft that do not yet have Wi-Fi, have a look here for further information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-underway.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.