Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Brilliant. 12 hour flight during my business hours, and I can't even know if I'll have wifi until boarding. LOL.
I had a 10 hour flight to AUS in business hours and found the wifi to be indifferent. Worked about 50% of the flight and often was so slow it wouldn't even download or send emails. On the flight back, it was even worse. Remember, like all wifi the pipe is shared between all flyers, so I guess you only need 10 people using it and it starts to crawl.

You pay £23.99 and it's pot luck whether it works or not.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm not familiar with the Android problems but I'd recommend anyone using the BA WiFi (or any airline WiFi for that matter) get yourself a small light travel router. You can connect that to the onboard WiFi and then use any and all devices to access the internet using the same connection. I will typically have three devices connected during a long flight over the same connection.

This is the one I use. It's currently $30 on Amazon and available in other countries too.

Amazon Amazon

It will sidestep any problems connecting with Android and also provide simultaneous multi-device connectivity.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:58 pm

Apple got a new competitive advantage - compatibility with BA WiFi 😀

[​​​​QUOTE=Ned1968;34880626]I flew BA15 from LHR to SYD via SIN last night in First- wifi didn't work on my Android phone (worked fine in First on previous First sectors in Nov and Dec)

The free wifi for First button didn't do anything. Could get to every other page that was on the BA page. Couldn't pay for wifi either - timed out trying to connect to the payment server. Tried many, many times over 20 hours

Worked fine on iPhone

Crew apologetic and logged it as an issue

Tried clearing cookies, resetting phone. Nothing worked[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:34 am

interesting to see Delta going with the free wifi option (for all their frequent flier members) - wonder what BAs thoughts are on that?
Still dreading voice calls… #DYKWIA
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by gw76
interesting to see Delta going with the free wifi option (for all their frequent flier members) - wonder what BAs thoughts are on that?
Still dreading voice calls… #DYKWIA
I saw that but when I read their press release it only covers most domestic flights.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Thinking about ponying up for streaming level WiFi on my next trip. What are my chances of having a stable enough connection to use it for netflix?

Going LHR-SAN
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I really wouldn't count on it for a reasonable Netflix experience, particularly if you end up over Greenland / the more out-of-the-way chunks of Canada. Using it for Flyertalk is fine though! iPlayer downloads would make more sense if you want a good few un-interupted hours.
Erwin10 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I really wouldn't count on it for a reasonable Netflix experience, particularly if you end up over Greenland / the more out-of-the-way chunks of Canada. Using it for Flyertalk is fine though! iPlayer downloads would make more sense if you want a good few un-interupted hours.
I don't have a TV licence so no iPlayer for me

I can d/l other streamed shows though

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone have experience of streaming live tv onboard short haul? Is it troublesome or possible?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
I was able to stream a world cup match on ITV Player. Had to use a VPN though. It didn't buffer at all and quality was acceptable on a 10" tablet for 95% of the time.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Thinking about ponying up for streaming level WiFi on my next trip. What are my chances of having a stable enough connection to use it for netflix?

Going LHR-SAN
Perhaps the pragmatic approach is to download your Netflix viewing in advance of the flight so that you can view without an internet connection.
golfmad and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Is there a Wiki/spreadsheet/etc documenting which short-haul A320 family aircraft have WiFi fitted?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
You pay £23.99 and it's pot luck whether it works or not.
But with a 100% chance of a refund when you ask!
Old May 6, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Flew on G-TTNP this morning. Aircraft has WiFi signs at the seats but crew told me wifi has not been installed. They were commenting how this doesn’t make sense considering it’s a new aircraft.

Quite annoying as was planning to do some work. If BA had a way of telling which plane has WiFi it would have allowed me to plan better. I (maybe wrongly) assumed all the NEO’s have WiFi.
Old May 6, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Flew on G-TTNP this morning. Aircraft has WiFi signs at the seats but crew told me wifi has not been installed. They were commenting how this doesn’t make sense considering it’s a new aircraft.

Quite annoying as was planning to do some work. If BA had a way of telling which plane has WiFi it would have allowed me to plan better. I (maybe wrongly) assumed all the NEO’s have WiFi.
Based on experience, if the plane has the larger overhead lockers, then there's no wifi and no curtain. Unless this changes, it means fewer and fewer aircraft will have wifi as time goes on.
skipness1E and mmogdan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.