Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by ajbrowc
Based on experience, if the plane has the larger overhead lockers, then there's no wifi and no curtain. Unless this changes, it means fewer and fewer aircraft will have wifi as time goes on.
Any reason why BA are not fitting WiFi to the newer NEO’s?
Old May 6, 2023, 11:06 am

Gatwick 777’s

Travelling to Orlando, friends teenage daughter was asking if the plane has wifi, we don’t usually bother and just pre download things to watch or use the onboard films.

She isn’t keen of being unattached from her phone for the flight so are we likely to have wifi?
Old May 6, 2023, 11:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Any reason why BA are not fitting WiFi to the newer NEO’s?
I think it was something to do with lack of the parts to do it on delivery which means some of there newer to a320neos don’t have wifi installed. I am sure it will be installed in due course.
Old May 6, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ipswich1984
Travelling to Orlando, friends teenage daughter was asking if the plane has wifi, we don’t usually bother and just pre download things to watch or use the onboard films.

She isn’t keen of being unattached from her phone for the flight so are we likely to have wifi?
Yes. All the 777s have wifi fitted.
Old May 11, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by Cloudy_Up_There
Update from the network side. BA now has 47 airframes active on the EAN network, and IAG as a whole has 82. Overall 226 IAG airframes have been fitted with the equipment. There are two notable dead spots on the network which are in the process of being sorted out. The first is the North Sea, and EAN is putting transmitters on oil platforms and wind turbines there. The second is in the Balkans, where EAN has 10 new towers going up, to cover a fairly small dead zone there. There remain some dead zones in the Mediterranean, but they're not notable for BA routes.
On a flight from LIS-LHR with standard routing there is always a 20-30 minute dead spot over the bay of biscay. I assume due to the nature of ground stations that this is impossible to resolve ?
Old May 11, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton, jetBlue, Lufthansa, Network Southeast, and Amtrak.
Originally Posted by mmogdan
On a flight from LIS-LHR with standard routing there is always a 20-30 minute dead spot over the bay of biscay. I assume due to the nature of ground stations that this is impossible to resolve ?
I believe there are no fixed objects out in the middle of the Bay of Biscay (such as oil platforms) on which to mount the equipment, but I am not 100% sure of that. I will bring it up and see if I can find out if there are plans to sort it out.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Wifi on 78-9

I was on BA165 to TLV yesterday, and furious to find the plane had no Wifi. The purser told me that none of the 78-9s have Wifi - is that really true? Beyond belief in this day and age. And bonkers set against the fact that flying down from NCL the previous evening I had the chance to purchase it.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Yes it is true. Strange thing to get furious about. Even we the aircraft do have it no way would I depend on it for work.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by DominicB
I was on BA165 to TLV yesterday, and furious to find the plane had no Wifi. The purser told me that none of the 78-9s have Wifi - is that really true? Beyond belief in this day and age. And bonkers set against the fact that flying down from NCL the previous evening I had the chance to purchase it.
According to our WiFi thread 14/18 789s have WiFi fitted but relying on getting it in a working state is a recipe for disappointment.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:40 am

Last I heard, the hardware supplier chosen for the rest of the fleet wasn't certified for the 787s; a different supplier (I want to say Panasonic, but I'm not too sure) was selected, but Boeing wasn't certified to line-fit the equipment on the 789s as they were rolling out of the factory (they eventually got the line fit certification for the 787-10s, I seem to recall).

Fitting wi-fi on the 787-9s ex-post requires a rather lengthy hangar input, including drilling through the carbon-fibre fuselage, and I'd say that this isn't BA is prioritising given the shortage of frames, shortage of people, shortage of equipment and, well, shortage in general.

If some bright mind hadn't decided to alienate the whole 747 fleet, as well as making sweeping cuts in the Engineering organisation, then perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation.
skipness1E and megaloman like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Yes it is true. Strange thing to get furious about. Even we the aircraft do have it no way would I depend on it for work.
no it isnt, I flew to IAH last August on G-ZBKO it had wifi. Flew on G-ZBKS to LAX in Feb it didnt have wifi. Some have,some haven't as the thread eludes to ,14 do have it apparently
Old May 16, 2023, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Magnus77
no it isnt, I flew to IAH last August on G-ZBKO it had wifi. Flew on G-ZBKS to LAX in Feb it didnt have wifi. Some have,some haven't as the thread eludes to ,14 do have it apparently
If 4/18 then I was unlucky. It would be near enough unthinkable to fly on any plane in the USA without it being Wi-Fi enabled. I’m so many ways BA is an embarrassment.
Old May 16, 2023, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Magnus77
If 4/18 then I was unlucky. It would be near enough unthinkable to fly on any plane in the USA without it being Wi-Fi enabled. I’m so many ways BA is an embarrassment.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC
I read that Singapore Airlines are offering free wifi on all aircraft to their customers who are members. Would BA follow suit? It feels a little dated to be paying for wifi nowadays in public.

I wonder what the revenue is for BA and whether many passengers actually pay on flights?! I’d certainly welcome a free service for all but also offer a pay for faster streaming service for HD films etc.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I read that Singapore Airlines are offering free wifi on all aircraft to their customers who are members. Would BA follow suit? It feels a little dated to be paying for wifi nowadays in public......
SQ have free wifi for First and business class passengers. Krisflyer members in PE get 3 hours free wifi, members in Economy get 2 hours free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.