Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry I don't see this in the Wiki or on BA.com, but how much does WiFi cost on BA? Like for an entire flight LHR-JFK?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry I don't see this in the Wiki or on BA.com, but how much does WiFi cost on BA? Like for an entire flight LHR-JFK?
Looking back at my records, I paid £17.99 for LHR-JFK the full day flight JFK-LHR in Feb 2020 and then the same price LHR-JFK a few days later.

If you're in F it may still be free. If you're on a 789 or A350 the prices may be higher.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by stimpy
From the Wiki:
For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft except the A350 and 787-10 is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

The A350 and 787-10 have a different system installed to the rest of BA's long-haul fleet. Price is based on how much data is used:
  • 25MB: £4.99
  • 75MB: £11.99
  • 150MB: £17.99
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies I missed that in the Wiki. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Simple Flying are reporting that BA have completed the WiFi rollout on its short haul fleet. This is more good news.

The catering transition is accompanied by one more point. In September 2020, Simple Flying analyzed how likely passengers were to have WiFi on flights. As part of its announcement, British Airways confirmed that it had completed a full WiFi rollout across its short-haul Airbus fleet.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:44 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by golfmad
Looking back at my records, I paid £17.99 for LHR-JFK the full day flight JFK-LHR in Feb 2020 and then the same price LHR-JFK a few days later.

If you're in F it may still be free. If you're on a 789 or A350 the prices may be higher.
It was free for the whole flight in F on my 789 to Miami last month. Click in a link for F passengers in the payment page and it asks for your seat number and name.
Single device only.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Single device only.
Unless your single device is capable of creating a WiFi hotspot
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:15 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by golfmad
Unless your single device is capable of creating a WiFi hotspot
I was on my laptop, so I had gone down the route before that idea came to me, and really couldn't be bothered getting the CSM to reset my login, or whatever needed to be done.
Did you try it, and did it work? Worth bearing in mind for the future....
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
I was on my laptop, so I had gone down the route before that idea came to me, and really couldn't be bothered getting the CSM to reset my login, or whatever needed to be done.
Did you try it, and did it work? Worth bearing in mind for the future....
Yes, it's works great. I use a GL INET AR300M which is a pocket sized travel router. With that connected to the airline's WiFi it's then possible to use as many devices as you like.
Jet Ranger likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, jetBlue, Lufthansa, Network Southeast, and Amtrak.
I was in a meeting today addressing the North Sea blind spot in Deutsche Telekom's EAN service being provided to BA, and there are now two active service points out there on the briny, approximately along the LHR-OSL route, with a further seven or eight points planned, including further north for routes which are currently not in service due to COVID. However, even the planned coverage will leave a few small blind spots. Unavoidable, given the technology in use by the EAN platform.
alex67500, RG1X and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
BA167 Wed the 18th (tomorrow LHR-TLV), it's a 788, the wiki show only half are setup for wifi, any way to find out which aircraft will be on said flight?

Secondly, how does .air work for a zoom call (video not important, a quiet word said here and there but mostly listening in)?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The wifi isn't supposed to be used for calls, and I think crew are under orders to interupt anyone using it for that purpose. I guess if you really do say nothing at all then you may get away with it. The latency isn't great for this sort of thing anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Simple Flying are reporting that BA have completed the WiFi rollout on its short haul fleet. This is more good news.
Presumably with the caveat that the majority of A319s (23/35) won't be getting it? How often are the WiFi-less 319s operating anyway?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The wifi isn't supposed to be used for calls, and I think crew are under orders to interupt anyone using it for that purpose. I guess if you really do say nothing at all then you may get away with it. The latency isn't great for this sort of thing anyway.
I actually was successful in listening in on a Teams call at one point during the pandemic. I was surprised that it worked so well. Instead of talking during the conference call, I texted my comments in the chat field.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:09 pm
L22

Programs: BA Executive Club
A350 Pricing

It seems that the pricing structure on the A350 has been changed and brought in line with the rest of the fleet. I flew LHR-YYZ on G-XWBE and the pricing was based on time rather than the amount of data used. The full flight for browsing and streaming was £14.99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.