Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by yankees368
It's more complicated than that. Installing Wi-Fi post-delivery requires essentially tearing apart the entire interior of the brand new aircraft. All the seats, all the sidewalls, all the ceiling panels, it all comes out to install the wiring, access points, etc. It's a lot of work.
It's hard to believe that any long haul passenger aircraft delivered in the last few years would not be pre-wired with what's required.
lsquare and megaloman like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
It's more complicated than that. Installing Wi-Fi post-delivery requires essentially tearing apart the entire interior of the brand new aircraft. All the seats, all the sidewalls, all the ceiling panels, it all comes out to install the wiring, access points, etc. It's a lot of work.
Why not select the right Wifi provider in the first place?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Why not select the right Wifi provider in the first place?
I mentioned it before. It was the only one Airbus would install in the factory for the A350. Anything else would’ve been an aftermarket delaying the entry into service. At the time in Summer 2019 BA badly needed the aircraft so presumably this delay wasn’t wanted.

As for whether they’ll retrofit them at a later date, I’m not sure. There’s still 787s with no WiFi that are of a higher priority.
lsquare and JFX1764 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Maybe, somehow Virgin had no issues getting much better WiFi fitted while BA opted to be a cheapstake.
MaxFlyer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Paul Lucas posted a video to YouTube this morning in which he flew on G-ZBJA to Athens. It also has the .air sticker by the door but the wiki has it as one yet to be fitted.
The .air sticker has been applied to a number of the -8 aircraft but none of them actually have it fitted. It was reported when they first started to appear, pre COVID, no one has explained why.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
Maybe, somehow Virgin had no issues getting much better WiFi fitted while BA opted to be a cheapstake.
BA opted for gogo 2Ku service, while Virgin went for Inmarsat's GX. Theoretically Inmarsat is superior, because Ka "gives" more bandwidth, however there are a couple of points to mention with regards to BA's choice: gogo isn't exactly cheap either (the average satcomm system for a plane is about $100k turnkey), Ku is more widely available/tried and tested (Inmarsat will greatly increase its coverage and has the 5th satellite up and running now) and, finally, BA was burned by being a launch customer for Inmarsat EAN service (using S-Band satellite & 4G cellular masts), which was delayed for 2+ years. Finally, if memory doesn't deceive me Virgin selected Inmarsat Ka a while after BA chose gogo. Oh, and one last thing: Inmarsat GX is available for line fit in Airbus, gogo doesn't (but I think does on Boeing?)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by 13901
BA opted for gogo 2Ku service, while Virgin went for Inmarsat's GX. Theoretically Inmarsat is superior, because Ka "gives" more bandwidth, however there are a couple of points to mention with regards to BA's choice: gogo isn't exactly cheap either (the average satcomm system for a plane is about $100k turnkey), Ku is more widely available/tried and tested (Inmarsat will greatly increase its coverage and has the 5th satellite up and running now) and, finally, BA was burned by being a launch customer for Inmarsat EAN service (using S-Band satellite & 4G cellular masts), which was delayed for 2+ years. Finally, if memory doesn't deceive me Virgin selected Inmarsat Ka a while after BA chose gogo. Oh, and one last thing: Inmarsat GX is available for line fit in Airbus, gogo doesn't (but I think does on Boeing?)
I'm confused. On 747/777/380s BA runs unlimited internet where you pay for time, but not bandwidth - so SIN to LHR cost around £25 and gets you a full flight of streaming. On 350 (and I think new 787 deliveries) BA has opted for a different service where data is limited and on my flight LHR-YYZ I was asked to pay £18 for 150MB of data - not enough to stream a single show on netflix, at a very low speed. Do you happen to know which aircraft uses which system? and why BA decided to go for a much worse solution for A350 when they already offered better wifi on other aircraft?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:15 am

I'm confused. On 747/777/380s BA runs unlimited internet where you pay for time, but not bandwidth - so SIN to LHR cost around £25 and gets you a full flight of streaming. On 350 (and I think new 787 deliveries) BA has opted for a different service where data is limited and on my flight LHR-YYZ I was asked to pay £18 for 150MB of data - not enough to stream a single show on netflix, at a very low speed. Do you happen to know which aircraft uses which system? and why BA decided to go for a much worse solution for A350 when they already offered better wifi on other aircraft?
Most providers offer either data or time (so do phone companies). What I was referring to is the band used by the various satellites; engineers will correct me but the shorter the wavelength, the higher the frequency and the higher the energy carried by the radio wave - which in turns allows for greater bandwidth. There are lots of variables, of course.

On the 350s I believe that BA has a Panasonic system; I'm not sure how it works, whatever little experience I have is in the maritime sector, but basically Panasonic (I believe) would work like an Intellian, or Furuno, of the maritime world: they build the system and ship it to Airbus for it to be installed. And then it's activated by an airtime provider which either has, or uses, satellites. And it could be that either gogo had no approval to have its systems working on an A350, or Airbus can't install gogo systems because they aren't certified.
JFX1764 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:12 am

Most providers offer either data or time (so do phone companies). What I was referring to is the band used by the various satellites; engineers will correct me but the shorter the wavelength, the higher the frequency and the higher the energy carried by the radio wave - which in turns allows for greater bandwidth. There are lots of variables, of course.
You keep bringing more technical data on how WiFi works on planes but you avoid answering my simple question: how come 747 could offer super fast unlimited WiFi at a reasonable price and 350 offers super slow internet at inflated price for limited bandwidth? It looks like person in charge of getting WiFi installed, had no clue what they were doing. £17.99 for 150MB as "full flight package" is a joke.

On the 350s I believe that BA has a Panasonic system; I'm not sure how it works, whatever little experience I have is in the maritime sector, but basically Panasonic (I believe) would work like an Intellian, or Furuno, of the maritime world: they build the system and ship it to Airbus for it to be installed. And then it's activated by an airtime provider which either has, or uses, satellites. And it could be that either gogo had no approval to have its systems working on an A350, or Airbus can't install gogo systems because they aren't certified.
If Virgin offered same slow internet as BA, I'd kinda buy this explanation, but WiFi on Virgin's A35K is same as it used to be on BA's 747s: super fast and unlimited.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:58 am

You keep bringing more technical data on how WiFi works on planes but you avoid answering my simple question: how come 747 could offer super fast unlimited WiFi at a reasonable price and 350 offers super slow internet at inflated price for limited bandwidth? It looks like person in charge of getting WiFi installed, had no clue what they were doing. £17.99 for 150MB as "full flight package" is a joke.
My friend, I'm not trying to avoid anything. I don't have a dog in this fight, I personally find wi-fi on board a nuisance and I dread the day when VoIP will be allowed on board an airplane. Having said that, I thought I'd answered your question before but here is the super-duper simple version. The system used by BA on the 747 is not available for line-fit on the A350. BA went with another provider. Virgin uses a third provider. For a number of reasons (previous history, technical set-up, probably commercial agreements) BA decided not use this third provider.

If Virgin offered same slow internet as BA, I'd kinda buy this explanation, but WiFi on Virgin's A35K is same as it used to be on BA's 747s: super fast and unlimited.
It's actually two wholly different systems, using different satellites, different wavelengths...
lsquare, megaloman and flight125 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:26 am

My friend, I'm not trying to avoid anything. I don't have a dog in this fight, I personally find wi-fi on board a nuisance and I dread the day when VoIP will be allowed on board an airplane. Having said that, I thought I'd answered your question before but here is the super-duper simple version. The system used by BA on the 747 is not available for line-fit on the A350. BA went with another provider. Virgin uses a third provider. For a number of reasons (previous history, technical set-up, probably commercial agreements) BA decided not use this third provider.
Cheers I somehow assumed 747 system would be available for A350. That clarifies it

I use WiFi for either work or watching movies on Netflix, so find it handy. Agree on use of VoIP though and already have seen people FaceTiming their partners from F seat in-flight
lsquare and 13901 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Cheers I somehow assumed 747 system would be available for A350. That clarifies it

I use WiFi for either work or watching movies on Netflix, so find it handy. Agree on use of VoIP though and already have seen people FaceTiming their partners from F seat in-flight
I always download a few bits off netflix before I travel to avoid this, it seems like the best option to me. WiFi is always a bit iffy otherwise.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:29 am

The A350 and 787-10 have Panasonic eX3 IFE, this apparently limits the wifi system that can be installed therefore BA had no choice but to use a ‘charge per Mb’ method on these aircraft.

How much they decide to charge though is obviously in their control...
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Boeing77W
The A350 and 787-10 have Panasonic eX3 IFE, this apparently limits the wifi system that can be installed therefore BA had no choice but to use a ‘charge per Mb’ method on these aircraft.

How much they decide to charge though is obviously in their control...
But the 747s had the eX3 too.
megaloman likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:22 pm

But the 747s had the eX3 too.
Hmmm, fair point. That information was given to me by someone ‘in the know’...or so I thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.