Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
It's possible G-EUUB (Airbus A320) has Wi-Fi now as well or then BA has no clue about which aircraft I was actually on. At least their automatic survey claims I was on a plane with Wi-Fi, hence I never saw any signage or leaflet, and even less heard any announcement.
The A320s are largely now wifi enabled, the A319 still (generally) are not. That particular aircraft doesn't feature in the wiki, so it may be a recent update, or indeed an error on BA's part. There would normally be a white leaflet giving instructions in the seat back pouch if it is wifi'd along with High Life etc. They don't normally make announcements on short haul, long haul they generally do but not every time. The slightly annoying thing for me is that it generally is provided on my NCLs and EDIs, which isn't much of a benefit, but I've done a PVK, ATH and LCA in recent weeks where of course we were on A320s without wifi.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
It's possible G-EUUB (Airbus A320) has Wi-Fi now as well or then BA has no clue about which aircraft I was actually on. At least their automatic survey claims I was on a plane with Wi-Fi, hence I never saw any signage or leaflet, and even less heard any announcement. I didn't have any Wi-Fi device enabled for wireless networking onboard, because my assumption usually is that BA is so antique and there's no such thing as satellite Internet being their norm at the dawn of the 2020s.
From my experience there are no announcements regarding WiFi on short haul.

I've also spotted an annoying bug - somehow once I buy WiFi on one plane, I won't be able to buy on another one unless I do it in incognito mode. For some reason something gets stuck in a session, it only shows me the most expensive package and fails at the payment stage - it definitely tries to make a payment as I can see pending transactions afterwards, but for some reason, doesn't play up. Incognito mode solves the payment problem.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by megaloman

I've also spotted an annoying bug - somehow once I buy WiFi on one plane, I won't be able to buy on another one unless I do it in incognito mode. For some reason something gets stuck in a session, it only shows me the most expensive package and fails at the payment stage - ........
A few weeks ago, on PVK return, Wi-fi was available, but when I selected option to buy, no priced options would get shown, so I couldn’t use it. FAs hadn’t got a clue and weren,t interested. I have used before, so I wonder if incognito mode would have worked, or just clear the cache. Will try again next week.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
WiFi 787 - BA223 (Yes)

I’d gooogled myself crazy and convinced myself there wouldn’t be any WiFi on the flight. But sat here going past Reykjavik watching the cricket and there definitely is!
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by Splotly; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
223! To Nashville...

Tried to edit the title but seems I can only edit the message... turns out that the Engkish bubbly is actually rather good!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings to you, I reckon you are about 600 miles east of St. John's Newfoundland.

I think you are on G-ZBKK, and Kilo Kilo does feature in the list of aircraft with wifi, to be found in the wiki of the Dashboard thread for On-Air.

[And to which this thread has been merged!]
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Interestingly I was on ZBKJ a few weeks ago and don't recall there being wifi (I did do a scan on my phone to check), but I could have missed it. When does the wifi get switched on?

EUYX did have Wifi (as mentioned in the wiki), but I didn't make use of it as there was little to no point on a MAN-LHR.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by wanderingjock

A few weeks ago, on PVK return, Wi-fi was available, but when I selected option to buy, no priced options would get shown, so I couldn’t use it. FAs hadn’t got a clue and weren,t interested. I have used before, so I wonder if incognito mode would have worked, or just clear the cache. Will try again next week.
Were you on Chrome? Try IE. That is how I got around the issue. Frustrating though!
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S
Interestingly I was on ZBKJ a few weeks ago and don't recall there being wifi (I did do a scan on my phone to check), but I could have missed it. When does the wifi get switched on?

EUYX did have Wifi (as mentioned in the wiki), but I didn't make use of it as there was little to no point on a MAN-LHR.
When was ' a few weeks ago'? ZBKJ was fitted in mid-April so anytime before then it wouldn't be there. BA's WiFi generally gets switched on at 10,000ft, at least for longhaul. I don't know about shorthaul flights. As you say, there's little point bothering on domestic flights if you're only gonna have connectivity for 20 minutes or so, unless there's something REALLY important you have to do.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Were you on Chrome? Try IE. That is how I got around the issue. Frustrating though!
It should show up on Chrome, but it's best to create the account on ground, log in at least once on the ground with the device, then the cookies should align nicely for wifi discovery, with the lower panel giving the prices. See upthread for how to do this.

Originally Posted by Schind
When was ' a few weeks ago'? ZBKJ was fitted in mid-April so anytime before then it wouldn't be there. BA's WiFi generally gets switched on at 10,000ft, at least for longhaul. I don't know about shorthaul flights. As you say, there's little point bothering on domestic flights if you're only gonna have connectivity for 20 minutes or so, unless there's something REALLY important you have to do.
For both longhaul and shorthaul, even on the ground the BA wifi signal is there, if you then navigate to shop.ba it will then say "no signal available" until you get to 10k. Which, inclidentally, is the point when you can't quite be sure if a vehicle on the ground is a car or a lorry.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Schind
19th of June on BA5, so well after it was fitted. I did a cursory check on the ground and found nothing which is why I asked, there was nothing on board to say it was a available (contrast to MAN-LHR where there was a slip of paper in every seat pocket saying it was available).
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S
19th of June on BA5, so well after it was fitted. I did a cursory check on the ground and found nothing which is why I asked, there was nothing on board to say it was a available (contrast to MAN-LHR where there was a slip of paper in every seat pocket saying it was available).
There is a laminated card on longhaul, but there is also a page in the longhaul version of Highlife Magazine about it, on the basis that most aircraft now have it. The usual CSD / CSM welcome announcement also includes a sentence or two at the end about it.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a laminated card on longhaul, but there is also a page in the longhaul version of Highlife Magazine about it, on the basis that most aircraft now have it. The usual CSD / CSM welcome announcement also includes a sentence or two at the end about it.
Good to know, I didn't check Highlife magazine (or the literature pocket at all if i'm being honest) and the CSD didn't mention it.

Probably just as well, as I'd have ended up with a flat phone as the in seat power wasn't working.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:16 am

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:25 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
LGW based A320 G-GATK recently had wifi active and working well (when working). Messaging only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.