Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:29 am

Currently on BA0178 JFK-LHR. First time trying the WiFi so bought 4hr package. Seems to work ok, but with occasional slow-down when opening new webpages. Sharing MacBook connection to iPhone via bluetooth is easy & works, but technically against the T&C's.

My only gripe is the 4 hours are cumulative, i.e. you cannot use 2hrs + 2hrs at different times during the flight. I accept the termination on landing, but it would be really useful to be able to split the purchased time up, especially as the .air portal allows log-off & log-on to show what you have remaining from the purchase.

Alternatively, for frequent travellers, it would be good to have subscription system with something like XX hours per month.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was on G-TTOE this week and this was pricing on it and even though the CSM was adverting the Wi-Fi at the beginning of the flight, it wasn't clearly working.

Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC
I completely agree that it would be far better if you could pause the time period on the 4 hr package but does that make the full flight time package a bit redundant?! I guess it comes from a financial perspective rather than 'this is what the customer might want.'
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Fontana
I was on G-TTOE this week and this was pricing on it and even though the CSM was adverting the Wi-Fi at the beginning of the flight, it wasn't clearly working.
Which route was this on? It's the most expensive yet so, looking at where TTOE has been this week, I'm assuming it was Sofia or Bucharest?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Schind
Which route was this on? It's the most expensive yet so, looking at where TTOE has been this week, I'm assuming it was Sofia or Bucharest?

It was coming back from Sofia.
Schind likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:49 am

Transatlantic is the fast option generally good enough to stream YouTube kids ?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eaunoire
Transatlantic is the fast option generally good enough to stream YouTube kids ?
I've tried YouTube enroute to Singapore and it worked just fine ^ Netflix (advertised) didn't work though.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
FLY has been updated (some time ago apparently) so that an agent can now tell you if your service(s) has wifi. It's on the main passenger PNR screen.
LTN Phobia and megaloman like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I am very sorry to be ignorant and to have failed in my searching but could somebody point me to how I find out what aircraft will operate a given flight? I want to know whether BA95 to LOS today will be equipped. Thank you and I am very sorry that I can't seem to find it. I am sure it is indeed basic FT knowledge
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by hsmall
I am very sorry to be ignorant and to have failed in my searching but could somebody point me to how I find out what aircraft will operate a given flight? I want to know whether BA95 to LOS today will be equipped. Thank you and I am very sorry that I can't seem to find it. I am sure it is indeed basic FT knowledge
I don't believe any 787-8's are live with WiFi yet so looks like a no sadly...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hsmall
I guess you are on some mobile device, so you can't see the wiki? Roll back to the top and the instructions (and advice on pre-registering) should be there. If all else fails just ask a member of staff to scan your PNR and the information is in the top half of the FLY screen towards the right.

Are you going to LOS or YUL? Or are you happy for BA to select, say, EDI for you instead? BA75 appears to be CIVM (Flightradar) and from the list it appears to have Wifi. Happy surfing and flighting.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
DOH! I meant BA 75 to LOS. It's an old 747 so no WiFi. What I still can't find is how I can find out, before check-in, what aircraft will operate a given service so that I can find out in advance.

Incidentally someone has dropped their phone behind the table in a window seat in F. The engineers are happily dismantling the whole seat. We can't take off because the phone is on.... I am grateful as I am getting lots of extra emails sent.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:55 am

She may be elderly but she should be up to date including Wi-Fi.

Flightradar24 generally gives the Reg.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:22 am

Ah. Flightradar. Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA
Just flew in J on a 747 and it got me thinking... why don't they just include wifi for J and F in the ticket price? Even if it's just for a few hours, or with the reduced speed.... It's a small thing, and yes I could expense the Wifi, but it just seems a bit daft to have to pay another few £ when targeting business passengers.

Just wondering if anyone knew the reason? To hope less people use the service which means better speeds? I paid, and the speeds were fine. I used it for an hour just to fire off some e-mails that I was writing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.