Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Mordac
It's actually back already. Don't think that'll have been long enough to get WiFi installed would it? Can anyone confirm or deny?
It is, but only just. Last July Gogo mentioned that installation time of the 2Ku system was down to 36hrs in most cases with the occasional aircraft being done in 30 hours.
The engineers at Cardiff will be dab hands at this process now so should be able to get fast turnaround times. It doesn't look like much else was done to YMMI but then it was in CWL for maintenance in February so this could have just been a WiFi fitting visit.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
So G-YMMI actually had another, much longer stint in Cardiff, but is apparently due to be back today to operate LHR-BOM. While any feedback from anyone who ends up on it will be nice, this should hopefully mean all the YMM* fleet has been fitted.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:41 pm

YMMI has definitely been fitted. I think it was this thread where I linked to Ian Grinter's photos on Twitter regarding the 787s. Well, he's done it again by photographing YMMI leaving Cardiff earlier today in such a way that we can see the wifi hump.
I don't know if it was fitted on this visit or the previous one as he didn't photograph it when it left CWL last time but it's there now.

In other news, we now have the A350s coming in which are the first aircraft to join the fleet with wifi factory fitted. I'm wondering if there's any noticeable difference between the Panasonic system they're apparently using and the Gogo system on the other longhaul aircraft. I await reviews in the coming months...
rockflyertalk and Mordac like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Schind
In other news, we now have the A350s coming in which are the first aircraft to join the fleet with wifi factory fitted. I'm wondering if there's any noticeable difference between the Panasonic system they're apparently using and the Gogo system on the other longhaul aircraft. I await reviews in the coming months...
BA tested Panasonic Wi-Fi on a 747 for a few years and picked 2Ku instead. Don't expect the Panasonic system on the A350 to be anywhere near as fast as 2Ku. You're not going to be able to stream video and it's going to be a less reliable experience. Shame.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
It's certainly true that not all Wifi is equal. When I fly EDI > DOH > BLR on QR, wifi on the EDI to DOH (shiny new A350) is significantly worse than the wifi on the DOH > BLR section on a 772. Different provider, and the DOH to BLR wifi is really very good.

Not sure which providers BA use.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by yankees368
BA tested Panasonic Wi-Fi on a 747 for a few years and picked 2Ku instead. Don't expect the Panasonic system on the A350 to be anywhere near as fast as 2Ku. You're not going to be able to stream video and it's going to be a less reliable experience. Shame.
Wasn't that quite some time ago? Isn't it possible that the Panasonic system's speed and/or reliability has changed since then?

rb211.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:29 am

Google reveals Panasonic updated their wifi in 2018 - they're now on what they call 'Gen 3'. Their original system was 'Gen 1'. There doesn't appear to have been a Gen 2 but an article on Runway Girl Network says it took them nine years to fit the original system on 2,000+ aircraft and those aircraft are now having the newer system installed.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...-choke-points/

Reminds me of WW saying the reason BA waited to install wifi was so that they could go straight to a decent streaming service rather than fitting something inferior then having to refit all the aircraft again a few years later. He was right!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
It's certainly true that not all Wifi is equal. When I fly EDI > DOH > BLR on QR, wifi on the EDI to DOH (shiny new A350) is significantly worse than the wifi on the DOH > BLR section on a 772. Different provider, and the DOH to BLR wifi is really very good.

Not sure which providers BA use.
It seems strange, but QR fitted their early A350s before their 777s so the latter have a newer system, however the older A350s are going to get the newer system retrofitted, if it hasn't been done already. They're using Inmarsat's GX Aviation system, which Panasonic are now collaborating on, so it's possible BA have this system on their A350s. It's all very complicated.

I'm now wondering which system BA are going to have on their 787-10s which start arriving at the beginning of 2020.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:39 pm

Qatar 777s and newer A350s have speedy Gx, on par with 2Ku. Older A350s and 787s have awful L-band Wi-Fi, which is generally useless.
The system installed on the BA 350 is almost certainly the newest generation Panasonic Ku system, which just won't be great. You won't get streaming class performance for an aircraft of that size if more than a few people are using it. It's the same service you find on the AA UA longhaul fleets, and many other airlines.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:14 am

XLED is departing Manila a couple of weeks earlier than originally scheduled but it went in a couple of weeks early. This means that at the moment there are no aircraft undergoing wifi retrofit for the first time in ages unless XLEE goes to Manila early.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Paid £4.99 for it on the rtn A350 flight from Madrid two days ago. I did one tweet and it gave up. Crew said there wasn't anything they could do. Mystified. Advised me to contact BA claims and complaints when I got home. It's frustrating how the webpage - when you're logged in - doesn't tell you your status - how much data you have left.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by groenroos
BA542 LHR-BLQ served by G-EUXE, the WiFi was visible and the landing page provided full real-time flight information, but it was not possible to purchase or connect at any point of the flight.
I'm 2-for-2 with this result now, most recently on LHR-ATH yesterday when WiFi would have come in pretty handy!

A quick scan of this thread doesn't show many reports of successful connection on shorthaul. CC yesterday said it failed on 95% of his flights—which may have been slightly hyperbolic, but still isn't reassuring. Has anyone had better luck?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Paid £4.99 for it on the rtn A350 flight from Madrid two days ago. I did one tweet and it gave up. Crew said there wasn't anything they could do. Mystified. Advised me to contact BA claims and complaints when I got home. It's frustrating how the webpage - when you're logged in - doesn't tell you your status - how much data you have left.
If you keep the original page open, and open a new window for your work, then the original page does keep track of your remaining usage. There is a handy refresh button too, but my screen refreshed every few minutes anyway. You should get to the same screen again via shop.ba.com

From what I can make out, BA does refund wifi claims, or rather IAG Connect. Their Heathrow address is:
Customer Relations, IAG Connect, Waterside (HAA2), PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, Middlesex, UB7 0GB, UK.

I was able to get the A350 to work quite well on Tuesday, and posted on FT 7 times during the flight (in the main A350 review thread). The 25mb slipped down to about 3 mb towards landing, and then as we descended towards 10,000 feet it switched to "<1 minute left".
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

From what I can make out, BA does refund wifi claims, or rather IAG Connect. Their Heathrow address is:
Customer Relations, IAG Connect, Waterside (HAA2), PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, Middlesex, UB7 0GB, UK.
Refunds can be arranged via email. I'm not gonna put an email address online, even if it a corporate one, so here's a screenshot taken from BA's Twitter.

You can also apply for a refund online. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...celled-flights has a link for Wi-Fi refunds.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I'm on BA293 TATL somewhere below Greenland, and wifi is shockingly bad, even on Premium. I think BA needs to up their game. I know it is satellite, but I frequently fly QR EDI > DOH > BLR and most of the DOH > BLR leg is also across water and wifi is fantastic, so it is possible. I'm not going to attempt to reclaim my £17.99, but I am very disappointed with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.