Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm on BA293 TATL somewhere below Greenland...
EEK!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Below as far as IFE is concerned anyway Surrounded by blue, white above.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Took VVIH to DME the other day and although the bird is fitted with WIFI and they even mentioned it before landing, the system was off for the entire flight. Wonder if that's because they haven't quite figured what to charge for it yet.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm on BA293 TATL somewhere below Greenland, and wifi is shockingly bad, even on Premium. I think BA needs to up their game. I know it is satellite, but I frequently fly QR EDI > DOH > BLR and most of the DOH > BLR leg is also across water and wifi is fantastic, so it is possible. I'm not going to attempt to reclaim my £17.99, but I am very disappointed with it.
There are plenty of comments on this thread and elsewhere online saying how good the wifi on longhaul BA aircraft is. Saying they 'need to up their game' is presuming that the service you experienced is how it is across the whole fleet at all times. And is it really fair to blame BA? If the wifi goes down at a private residence is it the homeowner's fault?

Having said that, on shorthaul there do seem to be some issues still but that's an entirely different set up and provider to the longhaul system BA are using.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by luitje
Took VVIH to DME the other day and although the bird is fitted with WIFI and they even mentioned it before landing, the system was off for the entire flight. Wonder if that's because they haven't quite figured what to charge for it yet.
Similar situation on Orlando flights earlier this summer. I tend to think the crew just can't be bothered to activate it.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Schind
There are plenty of comments on this thread and elsewhere online saying how good the wifi on longhaul BA aircraft is. Saying they 'need to up their game' is presuming that the service you experienced is how it is across the whole fleet at all times. And is it really fair to blame BA? If the wifi goes down at a private residence is it the homeowner's fault?

Having said that, on shorthaul there do seem to be some issues still but that's an entirely different set up and provider to the longhaul system BA are using.
I had mixed success, with the messaging wifi for £15 i literally couldnt do any messaging not even skype on my laptop...
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
If you pay £24 for full service on a TATL you expect to get something semi reasonable. My LHR to IAD last Wednesday wasn't too bad, I could use email and I could RDP into a remote server okay. But the idea of "streaming a movie" as they suggest, is far-fetched.

Compared to the service I get on QR when I travel from DOH to BLR, it's night and day. NB This isn't a BA QR debate; QR's wifi from DOH to EDI is equally as poor. Both sectors involve mixture of land and sea.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
WiFi is FOC in F on BA66 PHL-LHR this eve. Apparently a trial that’s going to be rolled out to F on all flights.
It’s a little convoluted to get to the page to enter seat number and name or booking ref - you have to find ‘rewards’ on shop.ba.com - but the full browse and stream package is available and working well. Just updated iOS 13.1.1 as we passed Nova Scotia so cannot complain about bandwidth at all.
Unfortunately still limited to a single device, second one errors when entering details.
golfmad likes this.

Last edited by LBP2; Sep 28, 2019 at 1:00 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I'll report back if it's offered FOC from JNB-LHR tonight in F
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Yes
I have finally had the chance to experience shorthaul wifi on a couple of flights. Due to BA strikes I also was on SAS on a return leg and could compare the two offerings.

BA's Wifi is definitely ground-based, because the ping times are below 100ms - that is quite impressive. It probably also explains why it drops out over certain parts of the north sea - I never saw evidence of any satellite backhaul as a fallback. I always paid for the "Browse & Stream package" - I found it very interesting that the package description varies from the "FAQ" to the "Restrictions" page.

The FAQ says "On the Browse package ... no less that 250Kbps". "On the Stream package ... no less that (sic) 1Mbps".

However, on the Restrictions page when pruchasing it says "Messaging Wi-Fi package - limited speed to 50 kbps" - "Browse & Stream Wi-fi package - limited speed to 1 Mbps".

So one could argue that the FAQs are misleading - are they specifically only for long-haul? Because there isn't even a "Browse package" - there are a "Messaging package" and a "Browse & Stream package" on short-haul. I'm not even sure that the 50kbps restriction was listed on my first flight.

The 1 Mbps restriction on the faster package seems to be accurate. My speedtests usually came in at about 1.2 MBit/s, with upstream much lower. Interestingly, the connection felt quite snappy anyway - probably due to the low latency. I could stream Netflix and Youtube reasonably well, so the "Stream" description isn't completely off, although one could argue that 1 Mbps doesn't really cut it. I also plain failed to download a menu PDF from a restaurant - I tried on two flights as an acid test. That's not a particularly data heavy thing to do.

What I don't understand is that SAS offers a consistent 14 MBps on all the flights I've had, which I believe is through Viasat? I understand that capacity could be come an issue if all of BA and LH use a purely satellite based system, but the SAS fleet isn't that tiny either - and surely a ground based system should beat a satellite system, especially this early on?

Considering that the speed restrictions have been incorporated into the web page, I am not too hopeful about seeing more than 1 Mbps on shorthaul flights in the short- to medium-term future. Does anyone know how Lufthansa compares on the EAN - not too sure whether any planes have it yet? I get the impression that the connection on BA is artificially throttled, and if it was uncapped it could work much more quickly - but for capacity or commercial reasons there is a hard cap on 1 Mbps.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Quark999

BA's Wifi is definitely ground-based, because the ping times are below 100ms - that is quite impressive. It probably also explains why it drops out over certain parts of the north sea - I never saw evidence of any satellite backhaul as a fallback.
Back in November 2018 it was mentioned in this thread that there would be a gap over the North Sea until sometime in 2020 particularly affecting flights to Scandanavia. The article that mentions it now requires you to subscribe to read it all but it's at https://atwonline.com/ife/ean-ready-...ritish-airways.

However, what with the constant delays to this whole project for years now, I wouldn't be putting a lot of money on the gap being plugged next year. We'll see.

This 'full roll-out by summer 2019' appears to have slipped as well unless all the aircraft are now up and running. Has anyone got any info on this?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Schind
This 'full roll-out by summer 2019' appears to have slipped as well unless all the aircraft are now up and running. Has anyone got any info on this?
I have had at least one flight were the Wifi was visible and could be connected to, but Internet connectivity never became available. Difficult to tell whether that was just a specific problem with that plane/flight, or it being one of the planes that it hadn't quite been rolled out to...

Just like it's difficult to tell whether the "North Sea gap" is a specific problem, which is how it was reported previously, or whether that problem exists because there is currently no satellite component at all - I suspect it is the latter. It just shows over the North Sea because there is no ground based system there either - I could never quite work out what the satellite backhaul is SUPPOSED to be used for anyway? Just the (North) Sea gap? Seems to work fine without everywhere else, even if it's a bit slow
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, jetBlue, Lufthansa, Network Southeast, and Amtrak.
Satellite backhaul is primarily for the North Sea, but also for other watery places, and for some spots where terrestrial links are simply not good enough. One example of this latter is some of the Russian part of the route to Moscow. The pending sale of Inmarsat has done nothing to speed up deployment of this part of the system.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LBP2
It’s a little convoluted to get to the page to enter seat number and name or booking ref - you have to find ‘rewards’ on shop.ba.com - but the full browse and stream package is available and working well. Just updated iOS 13.1.1 as we passed Nova Scotia so cannot complain about bandwidth at all.
Looks like from your pictures the exact same process rebranded that was in place on an Iberia A340 I was on last week for the rewards, albeit it only offered 20MB for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.