Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Is the Wiki correct? I haven't seen a single B787-8 with the Wifi antenna, fairly sure none have been fitted?
Agreed. The wiki says G-ZBJF is fitted but a very recent photo shows it without an antenna. Same with the others listed in the wiki

skipness1E likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:12 am
Suspended

Any update on the 789s? Are the remaining four completed? If not are they current in service? Trying to judge the risk of no WiFi to EWR tomorrow (and thus whether to fly UA)?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:51 am

They still doesn't appear to have Wi-F installed, and all four appear to be flying currently

Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
On a recent long haul flight, I noticed that BA has changed the inflight WiFi costs from being time-based (1h/4h/whole flight, IIRC), to usage based charging (25/75/150MB). Not sure if this is aircraft-specific (these were my first flights on a BA A350), or something across the fleet.

Also, there was no option for basic/faster speeds, just “messaging” and “browsing”. Given that a whole flight at the faster “streaming” speed with no major usage restrictions previously on other aircraft was GBP 23.99, getting only 150MB for GBP 19.99 seems a significant price increase.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
On a recent long haul flight, I noticed that BA has changed the inflight WiFi costs from being time-based (1h/4h/whole flight, IIRC), to usage based charging (25/75/150MB). Not sure if this is aircraft-specific (these were my first flights on a BA A350), or something across the fleet.

Also, there was no option for basic/faster speeds, just “messaging” and “browsing”. Given that a whole flight at the faster “streaming” speed with no major usage restrictions previously on other aircraft was GBP 23.99, getting only 150MB for GBP 19.99 seems a significant price increase.
This is only on the A350 and (I think) the 787-10. This is due to the more limited Panasonic WiFi system. It was the only one available for the A350 fitted by Airbus and presumably BA didn’t want the time/cost of fitting an aftermarket one.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by george77300
This is only on the A350 and (I think) the 787-10. This is due to the more limited Panasonic WiFi system. It was the only one available for the A350 fitted by Airbus and presumably BA didn’t want the time/cost of fitting an aftermarket one.
Thanks for the clarification, I had wondered if it was aircraft-specific. System limitations aside, one would assume BA has control over how much allowance it gives and/or how much it charges for that allowance.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Thanks for the clarification, I had wondered if it was aircraft-specific. System limitations aside, one would assume BA has control over how much allowance it gives and/or how much it charges for that allowance.
Yes they will. Presumably if it was the same as the old pricing and unlimited too many people would use it to maintain the promised speeds. So to keep the same useable speeds as the better system, they have to charge more/have smaller data amounts offered. This in turn will cause a smaller percentage of customers to think it’s worthwhile. Just my 2 cents.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Noticed the newly delivered B777-300ER G-STBM has the "air" logo by door 1L but no Wifi antenna. Are they being fitted at a later date to the new builds?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Noticed the newly delivered B777-300ER G-STBM has the "air" logo by door 1L but no Wifi antenna. Are they being fitted at a later date to the new builds?
Paul Lucas posted a video to YouTube this morning in which he flew on G-ZBJA to Athens. It also has the .air sticker by the door but the wiki has it as one yet to be fitted.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I was on BA118 from BLR > LHR on Sunday and the WiFi was hopeless. I paid for the whole flight for basic messaging but it kept disconnecting (when I went on shop.ba.com it would ask me to buy again several times). One way to fix it was to switch off WiFi on the iPhone and switch it back on and even that was hit and miss.

I.e. it wasn't so much a signal problem on the WAN side (aircraft to satellite), but on the LAN side (my device to the aircraft's WiFi access point).

CC suggested I pay again (twice) and reclaim the cost when I arrived, which I did.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by george77300
Based on what you're saying, wifi on the A350 and 787-10 must be very expensive to use.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lsquare
Based on what you're saying, wifi on the A350 and 787-10 must be very expensive to use.
It's expensive and very slow compared to what you would get on 747/777.
lsquare and george77300 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by megaloman
It's expensive and very slow compared to what you would get on 747/777.
What was BA thinking by going with such a crappy Wifi provider on their new planes?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lsquare
What was BA thinking by going with such a crappy Wifi provider on their new planes?
I guess they were not thinking.

Upgrading WiFi post-delivery wouldn't take long and cost peanuts, as a benefit it would provide an unified WiFi experience across the fleet. but #costcuttingisinourDNA
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
I guess they were not thinking.

Upgrading WiFi post-delivery wouldn't take long and cost peanuts, as a benefit it would provide an unified WiFi experience across the fleet. but #costcuttingisinourDNA
It's more complicated than that. Installing Wi-Fi post-delivery requires essentially tearing apart the entire interior of the brand new aircraft. All the seats, all the sidewalls, all the ceiling panels, it all comes out to install the wiring, access points, etc. It's a lot of work.
JFX1764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.