Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Was on LHR-GLA shuttle on 29 Sep (BA1486). Searched and found WiFi available once airborne. It was never announced by the cabin crew. The Stream package cost £4.99 which I think is acceptable. Speed is fast and smooth, watched several YouTube videos and streamed live BBC Radio as well (with minor lagging though).
Interestingly, the internet functionality stopped once below 10,000ft so the last 20-30 mins can’t access the internet. Is it normal for ground based system as well?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:02 am

I used the stream package on BA10 the other day (on a 772), and I was able to stream about 5 hours of video from Netflix.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
One small point: I was returning from MAD to LHR last Saturday on a 777. The wifi prices were long haul ones even though it's a 2h 30m journey. That could I am sure be fixed.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by hsmall
One small point: I was returning from MAD to LHR last Saturday on a 777. The wifi prices were long haul ones even though it's a 2h 30m journey. That could I am sure be fixed.

I don't know if it could as the shorthaul and longhaul aircraft are fitted with completely different systems. I don't know how easy it is to change the price on one aircraft for the one day it's doing the MAD run. There's also the fact that, at least at the moment, the longhaul aircraft wifi is a lot better than the wifi on shorthaul aircraft and has fewer restrictions so it's probably worth the couple of quid difference.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by marcolau317
Interestingly, the internet functionality stopped once below 10,000ft so the last 20-30 mins can’t access the internet. Is it normal for ground based system as well?
The 10,000ft limit was originally set by the the various regulators for safety reasons but they've now learnt that having wifi in use at other times isn't a safety issue so are gradually allowing 'gate-to-gate' wifi. The EASA have allowed it since 2014 but not every country within the EASA area has allowed it yet, let alone worldwide.
Some airlines are upgrading to gate-to-gate wifi now, I don't know if BA are lagging behind through choice or regulatory reasons in some of the countries they fly to.
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I’m currently on QR32 to DOH and full-flight WiFi is 10 USD. It makes the BA offering quite poor by comparison (£14.99 or £23.99).
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Both my recent flights to JFK and from EWR had non functioning wifi. The outward flight on a 747 even announced Wifi as available but an announcement about an hour into the flight said they were unable to connect. The rerurn on a 787 also was unable to connect though no announcement made.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I’m currently on QR32 to DOH and full-flight WiFi is 10 USD. It makes the BA offering quite poor by comparison (£14.99 or £23.99).
When the QR WiFi actually works it is indeed good value.
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Speed test from somewhere over Bucharest: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8672727265
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:42 pm
dnw

Originally Posted by Schind
The 10,000ft limit was originally set by the the various regulators for safety reasons but they've now learnt that having wifi in use at other times isn't a safety issue so are gradually allowing 'gate-to-gate' wifi. The EASA have allowed it since 2014 but not every country within the EASA area has allowed it yet, let alone worldwide.
Some airlines are upgrading to gate-to-gate wifi now, I don't know if BA are lagging behind through choice or regulatory reasons in some of the countries they fly to.
Interestingly the WiFi worked all the way up until landing on the 247 to GRU last month. That surprised me. Not sure if was an error or intentional. On the way back to London it cut out around 10k as usual.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by LBP2
WiFi is FOC in F on BA66 PHL-LHR this eve. Apparently a trial that’s going to be rolled out to F on all flights.

There was a tweet on BA's account yesterday that said:
"we did trial free WiFi in our First cabin but this has since been suspended. We do plan to reintroduce this at some stage. However, it hasn't been confirmed when as of yet."

I know BA's Twitter team don't always have access to the most up-to-date info so I'm not sure if this is correct as of today or whether the reintroduction was at the end of September. Anyone know?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:02 pm

Location: GVA CDG DOH MAD ORY LHR DMM YYZ LGW DXB BUD HEL DUB STN MAN
Programs: BAEC, FB, M&M, IB
Anyone know when the remainder of the A320/321 fleet will be kitted out?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Schind
There was a tweet on BA's account yesterday that said:
"we did trial free WiFi in our First cabin but this has since been suspended. We do plan to reintroduce this at some stage. However, it hasn't been confirmed when as of yet."

I know BA's Twitter team don't always have access to the most up-to-date info so I'm not sure if this is correct as of today or whether the reintroduction was at the end of September. Anyone know?
An extended trial will recommence on all Applicable aircraft from 30 October.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Made use of On-Board Wifi for the first time on an A380 to BOS and I bought the more expensive option that supposedly supports streaming. What a waste of money! I'll recommend anyone to not bother.
Wifi connection often dropping and stream quality really low with a lot of stop/start to the stream.
I took screen grabs and intend to complain, not too worried about teh money but someone else might be and that's just really poor service.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:44 am

I used the wifi service for the first time on flight to Washington last week. Probably referenced in this thread somewhere but BAs guide states

"VoIP calls through services such as Skype, FaceTime and WhatsApp will also be unavailable"

I was slightly surprised to be called at 38,000ft over the Atlantic by my daughter on Whats-app - and it worked very well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.