BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Old Jul 21, 17, 4:26 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: BA Gold, and others
Posts: 360
Wait, if the argument is being made about the cup, could the passenger:

- request a cup of (cold) water (free)
- drink the said water/pour it down the sink
- ask for that cup to be refilled with hot water
- add their own BYO tea bag
- enjoy their tea
evacboy is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:26 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
The point was how many on a flight, or generally across all BoB flights, would have status. That just gives proportions of BAEC members having various levels of status - one might imagine those with status may travel more than those at blue level for example. I am not sure that post gets us any closer to an answer.
Yep, fair point. It would be interesting to know what percentage of passengers that fly BA each day has status. It obviously varies significantly on individual flights by route.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:26 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,458
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Supposing I walked into the lounge with a reusable cup or small flask and made my own drink and grabbed some shortbread or whatever biscuits are on the side before boarding. Would that be considered acceptable behavior?
That's been discussed many times before on here. See some previous threads:

Taking the Highland Spring (glass) bottles from the lounge
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-lounge.html

I am sure there are plenty more threads on this which I haven't found in my brief search.

EDIT: found some more now
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ts-lounge.html
Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)
KARFA is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:46 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Posts: 2,718
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Supposing I walked into the lounge with a reusable cup or small flask and made my own drink and grabbed some shortbread or whatever biscuits are on the side before boarding. Would that be considered acceptable behavior?
Yes, fine. Go ahead.
User Name is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:47 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London
Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Posts: 2,758
Originally Posted by mike&co View Post
I was on board the Malaga - Gatwick flight yesterday (Y) and sat beside an elderly gentleman who requested a cup of hot water for his tea bag, which he was clearly holding when I took my seat. I can't comment on what type of tea bag it was, herbal or otherwise but when asked if he wanted anything from the trolley he requested a cup of hot water. He was duly provided with this and asked to pay £2.30, this being the exact price for a cup of tea from the BOB menu, including earl grey etc.
What is interesting is that mike&co hasn't mentioned if the elderly gentleman was upset by this? He could have been happy or expecting to pay it, or if not, not cared one jot as he's a relaxed and care free gentleman who doesn't sweat the small stuff!

He may be the kind of chap who would be amazed to know their is a 4 page thread online of people getting indignant on his behalf!
Sam Bee is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:48 am
  #51  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,457
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Supposing I walked into the lounge with a reusable cup or small flask and made my own drink and grabbed some shortbread or whatever biscuits are on the side before boarding. Would that be considered acceptable behavior?
I think that you know the answer to that as well as we do. The Lounge offers hospitaity, and I doubt that you would "grab" anything as it implies seizing or snatching.

What I still want to know is what the passenger had to say when asked to pay, and indeed whether he paid. I would not have charged him for hot water as I would not have given him any - I would have sold him a cup of tea, coffee, or whatever, and if he had some exotic substance to put in rather than what we sold - then I would have handed him the teabag and the accompaniments and let him do what he wanted.

The real theme here is whether BA were mean in charging, but how many here take their own teabags. Actually, after more Low Cost fllights than I care to remember I have never seen such an incident.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:52 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 5,647
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
I think that you know the answer to that as well as we do. The Lounge offers hospitaity, and I doubt that you would "grab" anything as it implies seizing or snatching.
I've seen cups with the tops available for taking hot drinks away with you at UA Lounges in the US. I believe that Lufthansa also provides (or provided) a selection of snacks and drinks to take with you on your flight, so I don't think it's as clear cut as you think. If passengers are accustomed to using such lounges they may not be aware it's against the rules at BA lounges. Is it though?, that's another question!
headingwest is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:56 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E
Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Posts: 4,452
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Forgetting for the moment that the general view of BOB is poor, and devaluing the BA experience...
And that we all agree tea, coffee and hot water should ALL definitely be complimentary...


if someone is charging £2.30 for a cup of tea, then quite reasonable to charge for just hot water. The incremental cost reduction of not supplying the tea bag, is tiny and less than a penny. The costs of getting that cup of hot water to you are basically the same as if it were a cup of tea.

Useful story about a cafe owner's response to a similar complaint on Trip Advisor..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ar-review.html
There is a big difference between the café owner and BA:

Customers walks into a café to ask for free water without paying anything else VS Customer pays BA for the transportation and associated service.

Customer walks into a café and occupies the seats otherwise may be served to another paying customers VS Customer already paid BA for the seats and BA could not sell that seats for that sector during that journey once the door is closed.

Café owner's cost would increase each time when a new customer ask for a cup of water and very noticeable due to the low revenue compare with BA; BA's cost does not increase when passengers ask for a cup of water as all the costs associate with this particular journey is already factored in well in advance, and such cost is hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of BA world.

So you are really comparing grapes and watermelons here.
chongcao is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 5:10 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,763
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
There is a big difference between the café owner and BA:

Customers walks into a café to ask for free water without paying anything else VS Customer pays BA for the transportation and associated service.

Customer walks into a café and occupies the seats otherwise may be served to another paying customers VS Customer already paid BA for the seats and BA could not sell that seats for that sector during that journey once the door is closed.

Café owner's cost would increase each time when a new customer ask for a cup of water and very noticeable due to the low revenue compare with BA; BA's cost does not increase when passengers ask for a cup of water as all the costs associate with this particular journey is already factored in well in advance, and such cost is hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of BA world.

So you are really comparing grapes and watermelons here.
What you says makes perfect sense. In the end, it's up to hospitality. It's like in hotels. You pay 150 GBP for an awful room in central London thats supposedly 4 stars, and then they want to charge you 15 GBP for breakfast when it used to be included. My aunt complained, saying you made us pay that much for the worst room in your hotel, and you still charge me for breakfast? In the end, they gave the breakfast for free.

With BA, you are paying them to fly them. It is not free. So when you have a request that costs the airline nothing, which is boiling water that is from the onboard kettle (unlike sandwiches that are stocked and accounted for), whats the harm in giving the hot water?

I think too many people on this forum have been Cruzified, and dare I say it, some of them may even be partners in crime (as in they are implementing the BA strategy on behalf of Cruz!)
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 5:30 am
  #55  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,774
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
What you says makes perfect sense. In the end, it's up to hospitality. It's like in hotels. You pay 150 GBP for an awful room in central London thats supposedly 4 stars, and then they want to charge you 15 GBP for breakfast when it used to be included. My aunt complained, saying you made us pay that much for the worst room in your hotel, and you still charge me for breakfast? In the end, they gave the breakfast for free.

With BA, you are paying them to fly them. It is not free. So when you have a request that costs the airline nothing, which is boiling water that is from the onboard kettle (unlike sandwiches that are stocked and accounted for), whats the harm in giving the hot water?

I think too many people on this forum have been Cruzified, and dare I say it, some of them may even be partners in crime (as in they are implementing the BA strategy on behalf of Cruz!)
Or perhaps they have accepted that this is the BA of today, they know what they are buying in to when purchasing their tickets and don't understand why people are still complaining about it?
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 5:32 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Forgetting for the moment that the general view of BOB is poor, and devaluing the BA experience...
And that we all agree tea, coffee and hot water should ALL definitely be complimentary...


if someone is charging £2.30 for a cup of tea, then quite reasonable to charge for just hot water. The incremental cost reduction of not supplying the tea bag, is tiny and less than a penny. The costs of getting that cup of hot water to you are basically the same as if it were a cup of tea.

Useful story about a cafe owner's response to a similar complaint on Trip Advisor..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ar-review.html
Free tea bags for everyone then.
strichener is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 7:11 am
  #57  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,036
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Surely the solution to this situation would be loading a supplementary supply of paper cups which are not subject to Tourvest’s stock control. The passenger travelling with his/her own tea or wanting hot water and lemon will be happier. The crew will be happier too.
Far too much common sense to work for BA, my friend!
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 7:11 am
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,027
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil View Post
Where does one draw the line? Imagine 20 passengers asking for their own Pot Noodles to be hydrated with the free hot water.
Or a group of Argentines all demanding free hot water for their yerba mate.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 7:42 am
  #59  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North of Carlisle
Programs: BAEC Hilton,
Posts: 1,454
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
What is interesting is that mike&co hasn't mentioned if the elderly gentleman was upset by this? He could have been happy or expecting to pay it, or if not, not cared one jot as he's a relaxed and care free gentleman who doesn't sweat the small stuff!

He may be the kind of chap who would be amazed to know their is a 4 page thread online of people getting indignant on his behalf!
Apologies, been busy this morning. Interesting comments so far

Insofar as the elderly gentleman's response is concerned, he wasn't particularly talkative throughout the flight. However, I jokingly said to him after he received his cup of hot water "I'm sure you'll enjoy that" he in turn replied " it sticks in my throat" from that reply it would be fair to say he didn't expect to pay. In addition, he then had to retrieve his credit card from a bag in the overhead locker to make payment, so further strengthens this position.
mike&co is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 8:04 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Deleted
Paralytic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: