Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Where does one draw the line? Imagine 20 passengers asking for their own Pot Noodles to be hydrated with the free hot water.
^^^
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
What I'd be interested to know is if cabin crew are making notes (or being asked to take notes) of how many cups of water they are giving out?

On my last flight to VIE one of the crew was holding a tray that contained at least 8 cups of water that she handed to passengers from row 12 down to the CE cabin. I didn't see how many she'd already handed out behind me. It seems to me that the water requests are getting more frequent.

Regarding the charge for hot water, well if they'd used one of the cups from the BoB stock then I can see why they charged...not to say that I agree with it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
The lengths some will go to defend BA on this is laughable. Yes, if a large percentage of customers start doing this, then BA has the right to protect their revenue (as any LCC does), but there's little reason they can't accommodate an individual case on an individual flight. I don't blame the cabin crew - they are following orders.

Like others, I've never had any problem getting free hot water in a restaurant when I am already a paying customer.

I wonder what the response would be if the passenger had a Lemsip sachet in hand and asked for hot water to help them through their stinking cold.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:32 am

I've decided to let my silver membership run out. I will now be flying other carriers as BA is no longer a premium airline in my books. Sad to see it happen as I'm from a BA family and the airline is a long way from the world's favourite that I remember from the 80's & 90's!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Forgetting for the moment that the general view of BOB is poor, and devaluing the BA experience...
And that we all agree tea, coffee and hot water should ALL definitely be complimentary...

if someone is charging £2.30 for a cup of tea, then quite reasonable to charge for just hot water. The incremental cost reduction of not supplying the tea bag, is tiny and less than a penny. The costs of getting that cup of hot water to you are basically the same as if it were a cup of tea.

Useful story about a cafe owner's response to a similar complaint on Trip Advisor..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12099760/TripAdvisor-York-Bennetts-cafe-owner-leaves-brilliant-response-to-one-star-review.html
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I'm suprised that after many months of BOB now, people are still thinking that BA is superior to FR or U2 on short haul economy. They are not, so please no more 'even Easyjet' or 'i'd expect this from Ryan Air not British Airways'!

Basically jump on a BA flight short haul and do not expect anything in terms of service in economy, at least for free.
Actually, I'd still disagree with that statement. As a very regular user of FR I would still take BA Y over FR - what I get with BA that I don't with FR: Lounge access before the flight, free seat selection,no financial penalty for forgetting to check in on line before I arrive at the airport, no financial penalty for forgetting to print my BP, a more relaxed atmosphere on board, no regular loud announcements to buy food, drinks, scratchcards, perfumes ... and most recently cameras. Then of course I get Avios too ^

.... and if I don't want to sit in an economy cabin I can book Club.

Oh, and no bloody fanfare when we land!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Where does one draw the line? Imagine 20 passengers asking for their own Pot Noodles to be hydrated with the free hot water.
So basically, for an entire aircraft, one or two water kettles and the heat-up time. Indeed, where does one draw the line? At that rate, slap a meter on the WC sinks to limit the water for handwashing for each loo visit.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Sometimes the comments here astonish me.
The only way to price something is the worst case scenario. That's everyone taking the **** and asking for hot water.
People pay for a flight, nothing more. They know that it doesn't include any food or drink.
I think that the crew have a difficult enough time getting from one end of the cabin to the other in time without passengers asking for something odd.
The free food / drink options on a domestic flight may have been there but totally unnecessary. If I got on a bus for an hour I wouldn't be in need of any sustenance.
A friend's biggest concern when the BOB was introduced was that he wouldn't get his free bottle of wine! I felt like suggesting that he got a life!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Actually, I'd still disagree with that statement. As a very regular user of FR I would still take BA Y over FR - what I get with BA that I don't with FR: Lounge access before the flight, free seat selection,no financial penalty for forgetting to check in on line before I arrive at the airport, no financial penalty for forgetting to print my BP, a more relaxed atmosphere on board, no regular loud announcements to buy food, drinks, scratchcards, perfumes ... and most recently cameras. Then of course I get Avios too ^

.... and if I don't want to sit in an economy cabin I can book Club.

Oh, and no bloody fanfare when we land!
Yes but remember about 90% of fliers do not have status = ).
For a GGL like yourselves, yes I get you would rather fly BA!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes but remember about 90% of fliers do not have status = ).
For a GGL like yourselves, yes I get you would rather fly BA!
90%? That's an interesting statistic. Doesn't seem to bear out my experience when boarding. Where did you get that stat from?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA
90%? That's an interesting statistic. Doesn't seem to bear out my experience when boarding. Where did you get that stat from?
Actually, can the stats department verify the correct number? Out of all BA's passengers in 2016, how many of them had One World Sapphire and Emerald? (Ruby shouldn't count as it is pretty much useless)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:13 am

Actually, can the stats department verify the correct number? Out of all BA's passengers in 2016, how many of them had One World Sapphire and Emerald? (Ruby shouldn't count as it is pretty much useless)
Ah ok, so you just made it up
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
This post (part of a larger thread) from a little over a year ago estimated that around 93% of BA customers do not have Silver or above status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26494124-post71.html
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Supposing I walked into the lounge with a reusable cup or small flask and made my own drink and grabbed some shortbread or whatever biscuits are on the side before boarding. Would that be considered acceptable behavior?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
This post (part of a larger thread) from a little over a year ago estimated that around 93% of BA customers do not have Silver or above status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26494124-post71.html
The point was how many on a flight, or generally across all BoB flights, would have status. That just gives proportions of BAEC members having various levels of status - one might imagine those with status may travel more than those at blue level for example. I am not sure that post gets us any closer to an answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.