Wiki Posts
Search

BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

I was on board the Malaga - Gatwick flight yesterday (Y) and sat beside an elderly gentleman who requested a cup of hot water for his tea bag, which he was clearly holding when I took my seat. I can't comment on what type of tea bag it was, herbal or otherwise but when asked if he wanted anything from the trolley he requested a cup of hot water. He was duly provided with this and asked to pay £2.30, this being the exact price for a cup of tea from the BOB menu, including earl grey etc. Just wondering if this was a "one off" or is this the norm when cc are requested to provide hot water to passengers. I have to say I was surprised as he was. Hopefully CIHY and other members of the cabin crew fraternity can enlighten us
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If everyone came with their sachets of instant coffee/hot chocolate or teabags and expected free hot water BA wouldn't sell anything.

I can understand £2.30 seems a little expensive for hot water, but I understand why they charge for it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
Maybe £2.00 would have been fairer, given he did not use the tea bag, but I doubt the FAs are permitted to stray from the standard menu price codes, so he had to be charged as if for a complete cuppa.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
From the BOB thread:
Is water still free of charge?
Yes, potable water from the main tank is provided free of charge. If you want hot water you will need to bring a suitable cup for it. Cabin crew have been directed to complete the buy on board service first, before handing out any cups of potable water. Bottled water is available for sale.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post27740616

There are a number of posts commenting on the charge for hot water in the reactions thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-service.html

One person did receive hot water and lemon for free.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27784419-post669.html
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Probably an old blogger doing some research for an article.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:04 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Quite difficult for the cabin crew in these situations- they are the ones that have to deal with such miserly orders from the top.
Travel with an infant. I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't provide free hot water to add to infant formula. If they refused that, one could write to the daily mail or something and I'm sure it will get published.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
This is pretty pathetic, I'd expect this from Ryan Air. Not "British Airways". Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I do thank British Airways for their avios program. CX 7500 redemption
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
If everyone came with their sachets of instant coffee/hot chocolate or teabags and expected free hot water BA wouldn't sell anything.

I can understand £2.30 seems a little expensive for hot water, but I understand why they charge for it.
​​​​​​Ah, but the stated aim of Bob was not to drive revenue, it was to increase choice. Cruz even, with a straight face, said that ba would not charge inflated prices like LCCs do. Your comment makes perfect sense for an airline like Ryanair who are at least honest about why they charge for everything on board but it is very hard to reconcile paying £2.30 for hot water with the guff that accompanied the introduction of bob for ba
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
With the issue of stock checks hovering in the background and no customer recovery from the BoB trolley - that's fine. But here does the hot water tally? Churlish FA behavior IMHO.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Purim
With the issue of stock checks hovering in the background and no customer recovery from the BoB trolley - that's fine. But here does the hot water tally? Churlish FA behavior IMHO.
Perhaps if the person asking for the hot water had their own cup but once a cup is given out the stock count will be out compared to sales and the CC gets into trouble.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Perhaps if the person asking for the hot water had their own cup but once a cup is given out the stock count will be out compared to sales and the CC gets into trouble.
It's sad to have BA employing someone to count the cup supply's before and after every flight in order to compare the numbers to BOB sales.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If I walk into a restaurant with a teabag and ask for a cup of hot water....will they charge me money? Of course.

You don't expect them to provide it for free.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mapleg
If I walk into a restaurant with a teabag and ask for a cup of hot water....will they charge me money? Of course.
by which you mean "of course not", or else I strongly recommend that you change your choice of restaurants. We are not talking about you having paid to be there, purchased a ticket etc so this is really a restaurant where you have already bought a full meal and are asking for a cup of hot water, or rather a hotel where you have already paid for the room and are asking a cup of hot water.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's sad to have BA employing someone to count the cup supply's before and after every flight in order to compare the numbers to BOB sales.
Normal business practice to do stock takes in the food and beverage industry. Seems a perfectly reasonable way to do things to me.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So this person brought a tea bag on board and drinks black tea? This is the conclusion we have to draw. I'm surprised that he didn't bring his own milk and sugar.

Did he protest or object to paying £2.30 or whatever for hot water. I'd be surprised if he didn't if his level of parsimony extends that far.

Unless any of us chose to do the same, who cares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.