Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by chongcao

So you are really comparing grapes and watermelons here.
perhaps you should re-read my post more carefully.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:50 am

M&S hot water?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by McCoy
perhaps you should re-read my post more carefully.
My apologies!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm not really feeling anything here as the crew have their selling to do and the passenger who clearly knew about BOB was literally testing the water.

Expect the expected.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by chongcao
You can buy 1100 Tetley Tea Bags from Costco for £13.99, equals £0.013 per tea bag. Twinnings are perceived to be more expensive, but not far off £0.012-0.019 range per tea bag if you can find the wholesaler. And few years back, you could get 640 Twinning's tea bag for £3.75 which is less than £0.006 per bag (cir. 2009).

So I guess we can conclude that the hot water on board British Airways is expensive. Or, we can say that the cup made for BA is very expensive.
I have no idea (as an accountant) what relevance the price of tea bags has to the price that BA charge. Pricing decisions are rarely made on a cost plus basis.

The decision is about price point that you intend to charge and whether that fits with what the market will bear. Cost is only there to help measure potential profitability, but profit derives from more than just that. Price too high and you miss out on sales, too low and you are not maximising your profit.

Pricing in the context of a menu will also consider the other items on that menu, particularly if they are direct alternatives. Overprice something and it doesn't sell, underprice and it'll sell out, or take sales from other lines which may be more profitable.

Back to the hot water, why assume that this should be free? It is a product with a clear value and will affect purchasing behaviour. On the basis that the tea bag is very low cost, and other items in the supply chain that ends with hot water have a real (e.g. Staff) or notional (lost sales) cost, charging seems to be fair enough.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Back to the hot water, why assume that this should be free? It is a product with a clear value and will affect purchasing behaviour. On the basis that the tea bag is very low cost, and other items in the supply chain that ends with hot water have a real (e.g. Staff) or notional (lost sales) cost, charging seems to be fair enough.
So does the toilet roll and the soap - should BA be charging for this?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by evacboy
Wait, if the argument is being made about the cup, could the passenger:

- request a cup of (cold) water (free)
- drink the said water/pour it down the sink
- ask for that cup to be refilled with hot water
- add their own BYO tea bag
- enjoy their tea
No, because the cold water would be served in a plastic cup which would crack under heat. Crew wouldn't serve hot water in this as it would be unsafe.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
With BA, you are paying them to fly them. It is not free. So when you have a request that costs the airline nothing, which is boiling water that is from the onboard kettle (unlike sandwiches that are stocked and accounted for), whats the harm in giving the hot water?
None, and BA has been quite clear that they will give the water free. What they won't do is give you a cup.

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Where does one draw the line? Imagine 20 passengers asking for their own Pot Noodles to be hydrated with the free hot water.
Now this is the most interesting question... we're told that passengers with their own cups will be given hot water. So you'd assume this would be ok... anyone want to test it?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by strichener
So does the toilet roll and the soap - should BA be charging for this?
Sir, this is one of the very clever and rational reply I have not seen on this forum for a long time. My hat off for you! Bravo!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
ok guys can someone take a paper cup with them and some tea to test if they will get the hot water free? should be an interesting one. i'm sure a dailymail journalist would love to do it!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:21 pm

ok guys can someone take a paper cup with them and some tea to test if they will get the hot water free? should be an interesting one. i'm sure a dailymail journalist would love to do it!
Yes, this happens quite regularly with people bring their own cups and asking for hot water. Japanese passengers often queue up at the back galley with their Thermos flasks, and hot water is distributed freely. If you haven't brought your own cup, BA policy is that you can buy one of the Twinings branded cups for £2.30. We have been given specific instructions not to use the BA branded paper cups loaded for crew hot drinks. Whether I agree with this policy or not, I have to follow it, as I have no idea whether you are a manager on a mission to get me reported (I kid you not). Oh the joys of BA in 2017.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by escape2sun
I have a friend who either drinks hot water, or hot water with a slice of lemon, and we have never, ever been charged for the hot water in a restaurant or even a coffee shop. They even quite happily provide a cup for free as well
Are you telling me they walk into a restaurant by themselves and order a hot water with slice of lemon and nothing else? An that restaurants and coffee shops do this for free?

Because that's really what the tea drinker on this plane is doing. He's not ordering a full service meal and asking for pot of hot water to accompany the meal....all he wants is the hot water.

PS-my MIL drinks hot water only when out and about. She and her old group of friends hit up a little fast food place once a week, but they do all order food and accompanying items. She asks for a little cup of hot water...that is free because the whole group is ordering food.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What you says makes perfect sense. In the end, it's up to hospitality. It's like in hotels. You pay 150 GBP for an awful room in central London thats supposedly 4 stars, and then they want to charge you 15 GBP for breakfast when it used to be included. My aunt complained, saying you made us pay that much for the worst room in your hotel, and you still charge me for breakfast? In the end, they gave the breakfast for free.

With BA, you are paying them to fly them. It is not free. So when you have a request that costs the airline nothing, which is boiling water that is from the onboard kettle (unlike sandwiches that are stocked and accounted for), whats the harm in giving the hot water?

I think too many people on this forum have been Cruzified, and dare I say it, some of them may even be partners in crime (as in they are implementing the BA strategy on behalf of Cruz!)
Same argument could be made about seat reservation costs though and they seem to make enough money from them.
I've just accepted BA is generally not for me, other than routes I have to travel BA/IB.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mapleg
Are you telling me they walk into a restaurant by themselves and order a hot water with slice of lemon and nothing else?

Because that's really what the tea drinker on this plane is doing. He's not ordering a full service meal and asking for pot of hot water to accompany the meal....all he wants is the hot water.
Man those rules on air ticket sales and airport security must have changed a hell of a lot in those past few minutes. I'm really glad everyone can now just walk into à ba plane without a ticket just to have a glass of water or a sandwich even paid without needing a ticket or anything. This is going to be a great improvement when it comes to weekend drinks with my friends! 😁

What the elderly gentleman did is that he got and paid for a hotel room, did not order from the room service but did call for a bucket of ice. And yes hotels will gladly deliver those too, not every company in the sector is as oblivious to the very concept of hospitality (of paid customers) as ba.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I almost come to hope the guy writes to the media and some pick up the story and relate it, without any drama or comment, just stating the facts.

If ba think that what they are doing is right and sensible, I'm sure they shouldn't mind.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I almost come to hope the guy writes to the media and some pick up the story and relate it, without any drama or comment, just stating the facts.

If ba think that what they are doing is right and sensible, I'm sure they shouldn't mind.
In the real world being charged for hot water is nothing unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.