Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
What the elderly gentleman did is that he got and paid for a hotel room, did not order from the room service but did call for a bucket of ice. And yes hotels will gladly deliver those too, not every company in the sector is as oblivious to the very concept of hospitality (of paid customers) as ba.

Maybe next time I go to a restaurant I will bring a thermos of soup, order a main, and then ask them to heat the apple pie I brought with me. That would be mightily hospitable of them if they would do that.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mapleg
Maybe next time I go to a restaurant I will bring a thermos of soup, order a main, and then ask them to heat the apple pie I brought with me. That would be mightily hospitable of them if they would do that.
You keep missing my point which is that airlines are not restaurants. Selling food and drink is not their primary business but an ancillary business they propose to people who have already paid for the primary product.

Thats why I'm suggesting the hotel model instead
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
In the real world being charged for hot water is nothing unusual.
Is it? I think you and I must live in two different real worlds. I've seen people get hot water and/or ice cubes in countless hotels and plenty of restaurants. The rare times I've asked either myself, i e actually never been charged. In fact, in a number of countries, a business could not even legally make a price up for something that did not appear on their price list without breaching customer regulations.

However, as I said, I was not proposing that a hypothetical journalist took side, just that they exposed the facts. If many people feel like you, ba would have no reputational damage to worry about.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
I think you are going for the extreme side of the debate.

Most restaurants tell its customer that no food from outside in the form of notice or verbal advice. But rarely any restaurant would refuse to serve free tap water or hot water for a PAYING customer (means someone has paid for something else).

You have to understand a BA passenger had paid his fares thus in the airplane he is a PAYING customer rather than a passer-by to any restaurant. You have to compare the scenario based on the customer to the restaurant as a PAYING customer.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
So what would been the headlines if BA had given all the cups away for hot water and then a passenger couldn't buy a cup of ttea or coffee because they had ran out of cups?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: etihad guest silver/ba bronze
Sometimes this site appears to be just like trip advisor.
People sitting watching and hoping for the slightest little complaint about BA to get a week of sitting on the top thread.
The whole "I flew 2000 miles to be insulted brigade" are regulars on here and some to be nothing but cheapskates looking everything for nothing.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, the customer with the teabag is a cheapskate but the cabin crew should have shown some common sense. I'm sure after they had finished BOB a cup of warm water could have been supplied from the front galley in a plastic cup or heaven forbid a club mug!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:31 am

Surely they could have simply given them a mug from the front with some hot water in it?

Much more environmentally friendly than a disposable cup, and I'm sure that no more than one or two people on the entire plane would have asked for the same.

It's customer focused, would surprise and delight, rather than the constant race to the bottom.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by lcyguy
Yes, the customer with the teabag is a cheapskate but the cabin crew should have shown some common sense. I'm sure after they had finished BOB a cup of warm water could have been supplied from the front galley in a plastic cup or heaven forbid a club mug!
I don't think they have the freedom to do that.

To me it is common sense to not expect to get something for free - especially when it would incur a cost to the supplier.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Surely they could have simply given them a mug from the front with some hot water in it?

Much more environmentally friendly than a disposable cup, and I'm sure that no more than one or two people on the entire plane would have asked for the same.

It's customer focused, would surprise and delight, rather than the constant race to the bottom.
But the mugs have to be stored, transported and washed up. A percentage break and need to be replaced. The hot water needs supplying, transporting and heating up. Crew must be paid their time in serving the hot water. It isn't the tea bag that costs for a cup of tea, it is the whole infrastructure around its delivery.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
But the mugs have to be stored, transported and washed up. A percentage break and need to be replaced. The hot water needs supplying, transporting and heating up. Crew must be paid their time in serving the hot water. It isn't the tea bag that costs for a cup of tea, it is the whole infrastructure around its delivery.
Of course, but it's all there for Club Europe passengers already. I'm sure that our friendly cabin crew posters can chime in on how often they get asked for hot water in shorthaul economy. I'm willing to bet it's very infrequently.

Therefore the marginal cost in giving a customer a mug from Club with hot water in is virtually nil, versus the end result to the customer.

To fly, to serve.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:41 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic

What the elderly gentleman did is that he got and paid for a hotel room, did not order from the room service but did call for a bucket of ice. And yes hotels will gladly deliver those too, not every company in the sector is as oblivious to the very concept of hospitality (of paid customers) as ba.
I cannot think of any hotel, restaurant or cafe where I could walk in with just a tea bag or cofffee satchet and expect to be provided with a free cup/mug of hot water. You would be laughed out of the place.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
so when a passenger is requesting a water from the tank, how come this not charged as there is an infrastructure around the delivery of that water that includes filling the tanks, the plastic cup and the time the cabin crew is serving that water.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Wow! I think BA customer relations might seriously consider asking you if they can use this comment for copy and paste! Well done!! ^

But really, who are the cheapskates here, the passengers or BA?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
so when a passenger is requesting a water from the tank, how come this not charged as there is an infrastructure around the delivery of that water that includes filling the tanks, the plastic cup and the time the cabin crew is serving that water.
Perhaps that's included in the cost of the ticket?

Maybe we're going to start seeing extra carrier surcharges added to account for the cost of capital used to buy BA's aircraft?

Or when interest rates increases, to account for the increased lease payments due on the other part of the fleet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.