Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by HilFly
You are not comparing the same situations.

I actually bought a cup of tea in Starbucks yesterday, then asked for a cup of water with ice. They gave me a cup of water with ice, a lid and a straw. The service in Starbucks makes me happy as a customer, and as a shareholder.
how dare they gave you something for free? Are you one of those freeloaders that expect free stuff while not paying for it. You should have given them £2.30 because people would rather pay for stuff than being given away for free. Do you realize the infrastructure costs for that glass of water with ice cubes? Starbucks should listen to customer feedback and charge for water and ice cubes.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... I actually bought a cup of tea in Starbucks yesterday, then asked for a cup of water with ice. They gave me a cup of water with ice, a lid and a straw. The service in Starbucks makes me happy as a customer, and as a shareholder.
And conversely, when I went to my local restaurant last night to celebrate my 21st birthday I took a bottle of my favorite vintage Lambrini, the swines charged me £10 to allow me to drink it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
I do believe in English law, establishments that serve alcohol are required to provide free water.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/tap-water-rights

BA complies with this by seving free potable water, of course. Last time I asked for this I was served it in a paper cup, suitable for hot liquid.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:45 am

You are not comparing the same situations.

I actually bought a cup of tea in Starbucks yesterday, then asked for a cup of water with ice. They gave me a cup of water with ice, a lid and a straw. The service in Starbucks makes me happy as a customer, and as a shareholder.
I do not argue that I am! I am comparing the same principle however.

Yes, I agree it can make us happy when we are given over and above what we have purchased. That is quite different however to feeling aggrieved when we are not given more than what we have paid for. Do you think we can be happy when we receive neutral service - neither falling short of, nor exceeding, what is due? I suggest yes!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I do not argue that I am! I am comparing the same principle however.

Yes, I agree it can make us happy when we are given over and above what we have purchased. That is quite different however to feeling aggrieved when we are not given more than what we have paid for. Do you think we can be happy when we receive neutral service - neither falling short of, nor exceeding, what is due? I suggest yes!
I have never returned to the coffee chain where they would not give me the key to the locked bathroom until I had ordered a drink, and signed the credit card receipt, despite the fact that my entourage had all trooped in with me, and were deciding on sandwiches, cakes and drinks. They may have ensured that one person didn't get a free pee, but they lost all subsequent custom from a bunch of people who spend a lot of money in coffee shops.

I'm a big believer in frequenting businesses that go the extra mile for my custom, and ignoring those who don't.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And conversely, when I went to my local restaurant last night to celebrate my 21st birthday I took a bottle of my favorite vintage Lambrini, the swines charged me £10 to allow me to drink it.
Yet another coincidence. A few days ago I was researching some rather quirky, canal side pubs, looking for a venue to hold a small gathering.

One of them actually stated a very different policy on taking in your own drinks. If we wanted a sparkling wine other than the ones they listed, we had to supply it to them in advance, and they would serve it. There was no charge for this.

But again, your analogy is not the same as the BA water situation. My buying a bottle of Lambrini from this fine dining establishment and then being charged for a glass of water would be more fitting.

In yet another coincidence, at this very moment I am less than 5 miles away from where this fine beverage is produced.

Last edited by HilFly; Jul 22, 2017 at 8:11 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Don't all these places do serving food and drinks for their primary purpose? I am not clear why all these comparisons between an airline and pubs/restaurants/cafes etc?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
Don't all these places do serving food and drinks for their primary purpose? I am not clear why all these comparisons between an airline and pubs/restaurants/cafes etc?
Very good point!

So who would start to compare BA to a supermarket (like the famous M&S) next?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KARFA
If any comparison is to be made the most obvious one is train travel. Even forty years ago the buffet car would refuse to fill your flask with hot water unless you slipped them a couple of bob.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
Very good point!

So who would start to compare BA to a supermarket (like the famous M&S) next?
I don't understand, who is comparing them to a supermarket or M&S?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... In yet another coincidence, at this very moment I am less than 5 miles away from where this fine beverage is produced.
So am I!

... But again, your analogy is not the same as the BA water situation. My buying a bottle of Lambrini from this fine dining establishment and then being charged for a glass of water would be more fitting...
Not an analogy but another example of where a business typically makes a charge for something that has but a marginal cost to the business. Your Starbucks/fine dining analogy is also not the same, cafes/bars/restaurants are required to provide drinking water to customers for free, as is BA. They are not required to provide hot water FOC.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
So am I!

Not an analogy but another example of where a business typically makes a charge for something that has but a marginal cost to the business. Your Starbucks/fine dining analogy is also not the same, cafes/bars/restaurants are required to provide drinking water to customers for free, as is BA. They are not required to provide hot water FOC.
I'll try for hot water tomorrow! But when think about it, we have to have got hot water before because my husband is a great believer in taking things in hot water every time he has a cold. Given the amount of time we spend in Starbucks, these two events have to have collided in the past.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If any comparison is to be made the most obvious one is train travel. Even forty years ago the buffet car would refuse to fill your flask with hot water unless you slipped them a couple of bob.

Cute effort at fooling the kids Hiddy!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: not a lot
If I present a pot noodle and an empty cup to the cabin crew in ET would they be obliged to fill them both?

AIUI if I have my own receptacle then it is permitted to put free hot water in it.

Would the fact their is food already there be a show stopper?

Is there a limit a to the amount of hot water I can obtain?

I'm surprised BA aren't flogging these on-board with a promise of a discounted refill every time you use it.

If you steal my idea BA I want a cut.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I'm sure there are some old school EuroFleet CSDs that simply would have brought down a mug of hot water without thinking about it, simply because it's the right thing to do for that customer.
I'm sure there are very many crew who would love to do the same, but have not been empowered by their employers to behave this way. As such, they could find themselves in trouble if they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.