Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89
What's going on with BA club europe food? I've travelled from BLQ-LHR today during lunch time... and all they had to offer was a tomato panini, or a tomato and mozzarella salad (vegetarian for everyone)... with a tiny slice of chocolate cake
I remember they used to serve better lunches 6-12 months ago, like proper hot food (I remember a belly of pork once on the 12.30 pm flight)

Is this happening also on other flights?
Yes, this was served on OSL-LHR last week (although the panini was chicken caesar). You were only offered a bread roll if you ordered the salad, The 2 crew members in CE seemed very rushed just serving this, although they did squeeze in 2 drinks runs and were pretty generous when serving spirits.

I've mentioned before, elsewhere, that BA seem more generous with alcohol than with food. Perhaps it's something the crew have some autonomy over.

It's not worth paying extra for CE just for the food. I appreciated the extra elbow room after having armrest / manspreading battles on my previous 2 economy flights, and I wanted the tier points.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I remember they used to serve better lunches 6-12 months ago, like proper hot food (I remember a belly of pork once on the 12.30 pm flight)

Is this happening also on other flights?
Yes, see post 1 for the background, this catering arrangement was introduced just over a year ago, and BLQ is one of the longer Mediums, which after the breakfast cut off lost out significantly on the previous hot offering. Longs - which would include Rome / FCO - would have a hot meal similar to, if not better, than the previous offering. I think we can presume the Mediums has been regarded as a mistake (a) because MAD has been reclassified as Long and (b) there is a new new Club Europe menu under design at the moment.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:13 pm
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ah good. Yes there was a post somewhere repeating what sounded like galley FM that MAD was going to join the Long band (and it made me wonder where else would be adjusted), but certainly there was previous speculations specific to this route. Good to see it happening.

EDIT: It would be good to get reports on these routes, outside Breakfast times:
LHR-VIE
LGW-OPO
LHR-BLQ (shorter than MAD)
LHR-PMI
I’m on BA542 (1445 to BLQ) on Saturday week so will report back. Not going into it with high expectations - from memory only booked CE because no redemptions available in ET - but I’ve not experienced the new catering so am interested to try it. I assume I’m in for a fairly homeopathic quantity of scone-free afternoon tea?

Last edited by PZE; May 17, 2018 at 9:19 pm
Old May 18, 2018, 1:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PZE
I’m on BA542 (1445 to BLQ) on Saturday week so will report back. Not going into it with high expectations - from memory only booked CE because no redemptions available in ET - but I’ve not experienced the new catering so am interested to try it. I assume I’m in for a fairly homeopathic quantity of scone-free afternoon tea?
BLQ is slightty shorter than MAD but the longest Italy flight on Mediums - Rome and Naples are both Long. On that flight, if you get a choice between sandwiches and Ploughman's then you are still Medium. If it's a choice of two hot meals then you are up to Long.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
BLQ is slightty shorter than MAD but the longest Italy flight on Mediums - Rome and Naples are both Long. On that flight, if you get a choice between sandwiches and Ploughman's then you are still Medium. If it's a choice of two hot meals then you are up to Long.
I flew to/from BLQ at the end of April - I had a SPML on order, but the people around me were definitely getting the sandwiches/Ploughman's options. So looks like it's still Medium - or at least it was a few weeks ago....
Old May 18, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
I flew to/from BLQ at the end of April - I had a SPML on order, but the people around me were definitely getting the sandwiches/Ploughman's options. So looks like it's still Medium - or at least it was a few weeks ago....
The context here was MAD switching to Long on Monday.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:47 am

I guess they don't serve hot english breakfast on it anymore? such a shame, It feels like they cutting out so many things, I know most people don't fly CE to such distances for the food, but it was a nice touch and still - some prices are so high especially to BLQ (it's a 1h45 mins flight - maybe only 20 minutes away from Rome by plane)

I flew to Rome in Feb, and they did have the mini paper menu and I have to say, the meal was decent
Old May 18, 2018, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I guess they don't serve hot english breakfast on it anymore? such a shame, It feels like they cutting out so many things, I know most people don't fly CE to such distances for the food, but it was a nice touch and still - some prices are so high especially to BLQ (it's a 1h45 mins flight - maybe only 20 minutes away from Rome by plane)
full English breakfast is still served on all CE routes except MAN and LBA.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
The context here was MAD switching to Long on Monday.
Aha - there was no timeline mentioned in your original quoted text, and that'll teach me not to post before caffeine!
Old May 18, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Ah good. Yes there was a post somewhere repeating what sounded like galley FM that MAD was going to join the Long band (and it made me wonder where else would be adjusted), but certainly there was previous speculations specific to this route. Good to see it happening.

EDIT: It would be good to get reports on these routes, outside Breakfast times:
LHR-VIE
LGW-OPO
LHR-BLQ (shorter than MAD)
LHR-PMI
It's probably low down in BA's thinking but these routes are also a hard sell as a CE redemption. They cost the same extra avios over Y as Rome, etc (+7500), but get the same catering as a 4500 route. Personally I'm happy to spend +4500 for basic CE (lounge + seating), and +7500 for CE with a decent meal, but not +7500 for a medium lunch/dinner. We're specifically doing that to BLQ next week, maybe now in error! (CE at breakfast time but Y at lunch home.)
Old May 18, 2018, 5:25 am
PZE

Hmm, bit more of a gamble then - have currently selected what BA describe as a muslim meal (looked nicer than the afternoon tea sandwiches/ploughmans per other posts), but not sure if that's a good call in the event that it's mutated into Long and I'd be getting a "proper" meal rather than afternoon tea.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:35 am

ARN-LHR May 2018

Beetroot carpaccio w goats cheese (delicious only if you like beetroot)

Followed by choice of: Fish pie or chicken tikka masala (curry was great)

Shropshire blue with crackers

Eaton mess type dessert (sickly sweet)

Overall decent enough. Lounge in Stockholm was fine - very quiet for the last Heathrow flight of the day - no hot food available but a nice selection of cheeses, salads, cold meats and nut/snacks. Only the two of us in club and while the crew weren’t exactly super friendly given they didn’t have to do much they were eventually very generous and attentive to champagne top-ups right up until final approach ��
Old May 18, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by PZE
Hmm, bit more of a gamble then - have currently selected what BA describe as a muslim meal (looked nicer than the afternoon tea sandwiches/ploughmans per other posts), but not sure if that's a good call in the event that it's mutated into Long and I'd be getting a "proper" meal rather than afternoon tea.
I would stick to the Special meal then. Though there were rumours of MAD going long, and BLQ is in a similar distance area, one can very much understand why MAD was prioritised for going Long given the high level of business travel, its profitability to BA, and relatively high O&D percentage. BLQ is almost the reverse on all these points, so I don't think it's a strong gamble. Not that Muslims would gamble..... I'd also say that unless you share Raffles' scotch-egg-phobia, the Ploughman's meal is very good in my view, I don't think you can rely on photos. However it is very popular so you would need to be seating in the front half of CE to have a good chance of getting it.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
PSA, by a few miles
Old May 20, 2018, 3:12 am
PZE

I would stick to the Special meal then. Though there were rumours of MAD going long, and BLQ is in a similar distance area, one can very much understand why MAD was prioritised for going Long given the high level of business travel, its profitability to BA, and relatively high O&D percentage. BLQ is almost the reverse on all these points, so I don't think it's a strong gamble. Not that Muslims would gamble..... I'd also say that unless you share Raffles' scotch-egg-phobia, the Ploughman's meal is very good in my view, I don't think you can rely on photos. However it is very popular so you would need to be seating in the front half of CE to have a good chance of getting it.
Regardless of how Islamic gambling is, I’ve just had it pointed out to me that Ramadan started next week, which raises interesting questions about the content of Muslim meal during daylight hours. Just became a bigger gamble...

I’ll post pictures of my glass of water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.