Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You keep throwing this at me. I've explained myself in post 2126, and don't intend to be censored by you. You enjoy adding legal insights often enough, and very occasionally I add psychoanalytical ones. If the mods wish to intervene on my future posts if they feel they are not relevant that is up to them.

Fair enough re your future travel choices - that is entirely your right
... and nothing to do with my mother!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... and nothing to do with my mother!
You think?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences

I can assure you that everything we think and most of what we do is psychological Edited to add: Out of interest, why has this decision to move to BoB provoked such anger among customers including yourself? The provision of food and drink from an authority figure (in this case the crew) is hard-wired right back to our infancy when we were helpless in our cots and totally reliant on Mum to feed us. We can't see our unconscious, but there is something perhaps very personally uncomfortable for us when what was provided to us for free as we sit 'helpless' in our seat, now is no longer freely given and we must pay for it. Stuff around food and drink can be highly emotive Also, the introduction of money into this two way exchange can represent an Oedipal element but that is another whole ballpark...
Interesting analysis.

This 'anger among customers' - whether portrayed in media reports, or in the vocal pattern of complaints to BA Customer Relations - has been met with a standardised 'official' explanation that BoB was introduced in direct response to customer feedback ("our passengers tell us they would much prefer to pay for any food & drink onboard" ...... allegedly)

And yet somehow I always had a hunch the reason was different from the one given by Sr. Cruz.

I now realise that BA were being economical with the truth. And that this customer anger did not stem from a feeling of being spun a yarn, or yet another cutback as part of the move from full service carrier to the LCC model. Nobody should be blaming BA for the anger ; in truth, it all dates back to our infant days, helpless in a cot and totally reliant on Mum.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by subject2load
Interesting analysis.I now realise that BA were being economical with the truth. And that this customer anger did not stem from a feeling of being spun a yarn, or yet another cutback as part of the move from full service carrier to the LCC model. Nobody should be blaming BA for the anger ; in truth, it all dates back to our infant days, helpless in a cot and totally reliant on Mum.
So maybe it is time for the customer to grow up and flee the nest. Let mom keep her empty nest. Good way to go I think.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:43 pm

Honestly, if you are getting that upset because an airline is soon going to charge you for a, once complimentary, coffee - it does have something to do with your mother in all probability.

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by steadman
Honestly, if you are getting that upset because an airline is soon going to charge you for a, once complimentary, coffee - it does have something to do with your mother in all probability.
If you're the sort of person who chooses 'coffee' at a free bar then one probably has mother issues also...
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:01 pm

Well, like I said earlier, the psycho-waffle about infants, cots and Mums is about as convincing (perhaps more ?) as the we're acting on customer feedback guff from BA
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:06 pm

deleted

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Dec 26, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:22 pm

I'm perplexed.

Why on earth would BA "be quaking" ??

All they're doing is responding to customer feedback. In which case, everyone will be happy !
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I agree.

I would only add that in fairness, I think that BA management already sees employees as disposable, just like passengers. I would like to hope that no one - employee or passenger - would be naïve enough to think that if BA manages to cut more costs on one, they will spare the other. There is no win/lose game here.
+1 Well said.....Loss of one often leads to loss of another

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
The new BOB coffee is not instant.

The current coffee in ET is instant though.

To be honest I start to wonder abut many of you and how you currently cope with having to buy drinks in resturants or coffee shops.

The new product is a Buy on Board product and you have to pay for it. If you don't like this then you have a choice to fly with another airline that still offers complimentary drinks or pay for Club Europe where everything is still free.

No one is forcing any of you to fly with BA or drink the coffee or tea. You have a choice.

Don't forget, you can use your Avios to buy your drinks and food too.
Yes thank God we have a choice. Several of us here have voted with our wallets with more intendig to..

Invite your pax to fly elsewhere, and eventually they will. Just bear in mind loss of pax will lead to more cost cutting that will begat more pay cuts and layoffs. You just may find yourselves more often on the picket line. Do see the above quoted post from orbitmic
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Coffee

If they use Java Republic like EI do it will be a paper cup with ground coffee foil sealed in the base. Foil removed. Hot water added and a special lid with fine mesh attached. Almost like a cafetière without the need for a plunger.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
My main source of "anger" is the way that BA has managed the transition - selling me tickets for flights that included free drinks, and then not providing them, and telling me that I should be pleased about it.

If BA wants to shoot its brand in the foot then that's up to them, but trying to charge me £20 for drinks and snacks I've already paid for is fraudulent.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
To be honest I start to wonder abut many of you and how you currently cope with having to buy drinks in resturants or coffee shops.
Sometimes I too wonder if people are familiar with the concept of paying for things. It seems that some think that when they buy transportation they also buy lunch. I wonder if they also demand food and drink when they go to movies or when they go shopping. Perhaps the next time I have my haircut I should tell my barber that I expect to be fed because only getting a haircut is not good enough value...
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Sometimes I too wonder if people are familiar with the concept of paying for things. It seems that some think that when they buy transportation they also buy lunch. I wonder if they also demand food and drink when they go to movies or when they go shopping. Perhaps the next time I have my haircut I should tell my barber that I expect to be fed because only getting a haircut is not good enough value...
Well, when many booked their flights, when I paid several thousand pounds for First Class tickets food and drinks were included.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Dec 26, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
To be fair, some hairdressers give you a drink while you wait and a lot of train tickets include food and drink. More to the point, if you bought a cinema ticket in advance that included a beer and some popcorn, but when you got there they told you to forget about either of those but that you could pay £5 for a sandwich instead, you might be rightly peeved...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.