Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by vibguy

The other question I have concerns the temperature of this high quality hot water? If one wants a high quality tea the optimal water temperature required is different than that for a high quality coffee. Will BA provide hot water at different temperatures? The high price charged indicates that this might be the case.
Your point regarding differing optimal water temperatures required to produce 'high quality' tea or coffee respectively is indeed totally valid. But I'd say you might be harbouring excessive expectations of an airline where the current mindset and regime is driven by cost-cutting allied to maximisation of revenues.

Yes, BA will undoubtedly be providing hot water at 'different temperatures'. However ....... I'd wager serious money on the reasons for doing so being wholly unrelated to a) a keen desire on their part to ensure that your BoB coffee or tea is of high quality and/or b) the 'high price charged'

The real reason for any variation in the temperature of hot water is likely to be far more prosaic : it will depend (as ever) on which you row you happen to be seated, and how long the trolley takes to get to you ........
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Using Caffe Nero analogy as you wish, then why not do that then? It seems an entirely acceptable solution, given that a teabag is only worth 5p at most. Instead you wish to have all of the elements of the cup of tea product except the teabag, without paying for it. You'd like the near boiling water delivered from a machine that must be purchased, cleaned and serviced and uses electricity to heat the water. You'd like the cup and saucer and teaspoon, which must be collected, washed and put away, and breakages and losses regularly paid for. You'd perhaps some sugar or sweetener, and no doubt some napkins. You'd like to sit in a nice comfortable warm cafe which must be leased or purchased, with furniture that must be bought, and business taxes paid. But no, you don't see those as part of the product - and instead you would like all of these elements of your 'cup of hot water' for free.
I'm very happy that the solution seems 'entirely acceptable' to you. As for me, quite frankly, the restaurants have exactly zero problem giving me free water and I have exactly zero moral issue accepting it, you will understand that since you seem to be the only one who has a moral issue with this, the rest of us might simply continue to ask for water when we want water, tea when we want tea, and ice cubes when we want ice cubes?

I assume that to be coherent, when you want a glass of tap water in a restaurant, you order a cordial with the cordial on the side so that you can pay since the cordial is merely worth 5p at most and that you want a glass that needs to be washed and might be broken, a waiter that has to be paid to hand the water to you, maybe ice cubes that come from a freezer that needs to be purchased and uses electricity and 'you'd like to sit in a nice comfortable warm café which must be leased or purchased, with furniture that must be bought, and business taxes paid.' Surely, you would not want to get those for free.

I can only repeat: I personally find it ridiculous to treat hot and cold and iced tap waters differently. Water is water is water and I see no reason to give it free at one temperature but not at the others. You disagree with me whilst systematically avoiding that specific question, that's absolutely fine.

As for that persistent vision of WW and AC as two clowns, I'm afraid that this is something that developed in my mind well before and well beyond the BoB question. I will spare you a reminder of their various funny declarations - from one of them wishing to kick a competing airline boss in the testicles to the other's definition of 'luxury' as this has been amply discussed every time.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 26, 2016 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
We are not charging for hot water. There will be no problem if you want hot water and you have your own cup. Many of our Asian customers carry hot water flasks and the crew will happily fill these with hot water.

The cups onboard will be Twining Cups and come as a set purchase, cup, tea bag, milk, sugar and stirrer, if you want to use one of these we will charge you. The coffee cups (not sure of the brand) contain the coffee grounds and so they too will be charged for and will be delivered with milk, sugar and stirrer.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
We are not charging for hot water. There will be no problem if you want hot water and you have your own cup. Many of our Asian customers carry hot water flasks and the crew will happily fill these with hot water.

The cups onboard will be Twining Cups and come as a set purchase, cup, tea bag, milk, sugar and stirrer, if you want to use one of these we will charge you. The coffee cups (not sure of the brand) contain the coffee grounds and so they too will be charged for and will be delivered with milk, sugar and stirrer.
Thanks for the precision - it seems that Business Traveller was wrongly informed by the BA people that they spoke to. I personally have no problem whatsoever bringing my own cup. I hope that this will be widely advertised to customers so that they can plan accordingly.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm very happy that the solution seems 'entirely acceptable' to you. As for me, quite frankly, the restaurants have exactly zero problem giving me free water and I have exactly zero moral issue accepting it, you will understand that since you seem to be the only one who has a moral issue with this, the rest of us might simply continue to ask for water when we want water, tea when we want tea, and ice cubes when we want ice cubes?

I assume that to be coherent, when you want a glass of tap water in a restaurant, you order a cordial with the cordial on the side so that you can pay since the cordial is merely worth 5p at most and that you want a glass that needs to be washed and might be broken, a waiter that has to be paid to hand the water to you, maybe ice cubes that come from a freezer that needs to be purchased and uses electricity and 'you'd like to sit in a nice comfortable warm café which must be leased or purchased, with furniture that must be bought, and business taxes paid.' Surely, you would not want to get those for free.

I can only repeat: I personally find it ridiculous to treat hot and cold and iced tap waters differently. Water is water is water and I see no reason to give it free at one temperature but not at the others. You disagree with me whilst systematically avoiding that specific question, that's absolutely fine.

As for that persistent vision of WW and AC as two clowns, I'm afraid that this is something that developed in my mind well before and well beyond the BoB question. I will spare you a reminder of their various funny declarations - from one of them wishing to kick a competing airline boss in the testicles to the other's definition of 'luxury' as this has been amply discussed every time.
Eek You've used the word 'morals' which is most certainly not my word! I'm just illustrating my point which I think is well made now.

To answer your question, I do see a distinction between hot and cold water - cold water is a life essential. Heated water is not. Also, in on the ground establishments it is a license requirement that cold water is provided for free for customers.

And we have a solution - Bravo!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:37 am

I do see a distinction between hot and cold water - cold water is a life essential. Heated water is not.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The coffee cups (not sure of the brand)
The new coffee comes from the Irish company, Java Republic, and uses their house produced blend of Arabicas. It can, surely, only be better than the existing coffee provision.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
from the Irish company...
And I've just learnt something new!! ^
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:52 am

Thanks for adding some clarity to what has become a bit of a storm in a teacup.

I'll get my coat...
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:55 am

The new coffee comes from the Irish company, Java Republic, and uses their house produced blend of Arabicas. It can, surely, only be better than the existing coffee provision.
This is one of the most positive aspects of this change - it will allow passengers better quality products and much more choice. Could do with a cup of that now actually!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Thanks for adding some clarity to what has become a bit of a storm in a teacup.

I'll get my coat...
Haha - very good
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is one of the most positive aspects of this change - it will allow passengers better quality products and much more choice. Could do with a cup of that now actually!
I'm happy to sell you one for £2.50 .
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOT: Domestics and short hops: Prince Polo chocolate wafer bar and still water. If you are on the longer shorthaul services such as to London you can have tea or coffee and still/sparkling water, the Prince Polo and/or the Frugo fruit flavoured sweets. BOB is present, rarely pushed.
There's sparkling water also, and during winter, coffee & tea is served on domestics & morning flights during summer.
They are offering tea/coffee routinely on the flights I fly, like BRU, CDG, AMS (never tried V3 op). It can be a winter/summer thing.
250ml bottles of San Pellegrino and Lindt truffles make an enjoyable BYOOB experience when pilfered from the Elite lounge.

Plus, enjoy a massage before a flight, even domestically .
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I'm happy to sell you one for £2.50 .
Deal!

And I'll whip you up an omelette
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:23 am
Suspended

If it's grounds in a cup, it sounds like instant coffee - something that I think is a step below even poorly made drip coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.