Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by hugolover
Free on Lufty. I had one the other week .
When Lufthansa goes BoB on intra Europe flights, Turkish and Aeroflot will be the only European carriers serving free F&B.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I suspect at the start of the summer timetables, end if march
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Yes, blocking the middle seat back to row 12 or so would mean the loss of 22-24 seats on a 320 on what are already rammed flights....
This may very well spark the idea of further downsizing the coach (Y) seats in vrious ways to make up for the "lost seats".
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by HMPS
This may very well spark the idea of further downsizing the coach (Y) seats in vrious ways to make up for the "lost seats".
The LHR A320 fleet is due to be "densified" from 168 seats to 180 next year, and the A321s from 205 to 218 by summer 2018.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
The LHR A320 fleet is due to be "densified" from 168 seats to 180 next year, and the A321s from 205 to 218 by summer 2018.
Hope the seats will not be like the Frontier Airlines in USA...murder after 1.5 hrs ! And no room to squirm
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
When Lufthansa goes BoB on intra Europe flights, Turkish and Aeroflot will be the only European carriers serving free F&B.
Aegean?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
The fact is that if BA can pull BOB off you can bet that a whole bunch of others will follow.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by switch007
Aegean?
And AF, KL, AZ, LX, etc.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by destere
The fact is that if BA can pull BOB off you can bet that a whole bunch of others will follow.
As the French say, 'with "if's", you could fit Paris into a bottle'. You can bet anything you like and you might win your bet, but for now, nobody has followed into BA's steps.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
And AF, KL, AZ, LX, etc.
Complete list of major European carriers serving complimentary F&B in intra-Europe Y:

Star Alliance:
Adria
Aegean
Austrian
Croatia Airlines
LOT
Lufthansa
Swiss
TAP
Turkish Airlines

oneworld:
S7
(British Airways)

SkyTeam:
Aeroflot
Air France
Alitalia
Czech Airlines
KLM
TAROM

Kind of sad only one oneworld carrier left with complimentary F&B.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Dec 25, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Complete list of major European carriers serving complimentary F&B in intra-Europe Y:

Star Alliance:
Adria
Aegean
Austrian
Croatia Airlines
LOT
Lufthansa
Swiss
Turkish Airlines

oneworld:
S7
(British Airways)

SkyTeam:
Aeroflot
Air France
Alitalia
Czech Airlines
KLM
TAROM

Kind of sad only one oneworld carrier left with complimentary F&B.
Well done on compiling a full list. Minor points - has TP discontinued free F&B? Also worth noting that AY will give free F&B to OWE and both AY and SK tea, coffee and water for free to everyone.

I am not aware of a single airline in the world, including low cost of the worst kind (FR etc), which charge for hot water, unlike the decision of the two clowns who lead IAG and BA, so I think that this may well qualify as a true 'world first' in ridicule for the to fly to serve airline.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:15 pm

Well done on compiling a full list. Minor points - has TP discontinued free F&B? Also worth noting that AY will give free F&B to OWE and both AY and SK tea, coffee and water for free to everyone.

I am not aware of a single airline in the world, including low cost of the worst kind (FR etc), which charge for hot water, unlike the decision of the two clowns who lead IAG and BA, so I think that this may well qualify as a true 'world first' in ridicule for the to fly to serve airline.
Oh! Thanks for noticing TAP, they still have complimentary F&B.

The reason I didn't mention AY or SK is because they do not give out free full service to anyone onboard.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
As the French say, 'with "if's", you could fit Paris into a bottle'. You can bet anything you like and you might win your bet, but for now, nobody has followed into BA's steps.
Oh, certainly. With a foray such as this I have no doubt that the likes of AF and LH would gladly have BA do the initial 'test run' for them.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by destere
Oh, certainly. With a foray such as this I have no doubt that the likes of AF and LH would gladly have BA do the initial 'test run' for them.
Yes, I'm sure that they will watch carefully. In ways, it is a win-win game for them. As you say, if BA's choice proves successful, they know they can follow suit and save on costs at lower risk, if it proves unsuccessful, one of their main competitor shoots itself in the foot and they hold the net under the apple tree ready to pick up what BA will have lost. Arguably, it works for them either way!
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
From that list above, I'm pretty sure that Adria Airways, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish and CSA Czech Airlines now have BoB service in Economy class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.