Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I don't know any Internet forum for flying where the *majority* of people would never travel economy in some/many/the majority of their flights.
Well it is FT BAEC, and it certainly seems that way. Most threads are all about premium travel and how to get it
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Calchas
What are the hot choices? I have only seen the short flight menu
The only hot items I've seen mentioned so far are the bacon roll / panini type items, which will be served hot à la easyJet. I wouldn't be expecting hot meals of the ready-meal variety, at least not at first.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Did they give a date for its introduction ...?
March IIRC - but we will see... his swing on it was "well you must be paying Business UK fares at the moment so the pricing will be similar". Nope, I pay nothing even close to that
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by smokie36
M&S do smoked salmon sandwiches don't they?
not for free = )
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So what's the latest development with BA making things worse for its customers? So will it be that one tea bag is included when paying for hot water on BA flights?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
From what I understand CE will be coming to Domestics in the Spring.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So will it be that one tea bag is included when paying for hot water on BA flights?
Amusing, but probably not, as the tea bags used inflight are bigger than normal one cup teabags.

I could be wrong but BA will probably keep making pots of tea and coffee, and pour from those, versus having pots of hot water and making tea/coffee to order. I would guess that those who pay for plain hot water, will get it brought from the galley instead of off the trolley.

Unless BA will start selling tea varieties?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I'd still take BA for Fast Track and lounge access, so I can get stock up on food from the lounge and fill my thermos flask
You can buy lounge access and proper fast-track security and boarding (the LCCs do fast track boarding very well; security is of course airport dependent) for less than the difference between the BA and U2/FR fares.

Even U2's Flexi fare, which includes a 20kg bag, premium seat selection, fast track security, priority boarding, flexibility over a 4 week period etc etc comes in less than the BA LHR price!

BA are obviously still filling planes and making money. But there really is a bit of Tesco-esque arrogance to all this. I do feel BA's demise is a case of when, rather than if. I appreciate others disagree - only time (or an abrupt change in strategy) will tell.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Amusing, but probably not, as the tea bags used inflight are bigger than normal one cup teabags.

I could be wrong but BA will probably keep making pots of tea and coffee, and pour from those, versus having pots of hot water and making tea/coffee to order. I would guess that those who pay for plain hot water, will get it brought from the galley instead of off the trolley.

Unless BA will start selling tea varieties?
I've never seen an airline with BoB serving tea from a pot. It makes sense to do so, but it wouldn't seem premium enough to pax to justify the cost. Go used to do individual cafetieres, which were quite snazzy.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
not for free =)
Free on Lufty. I had one the other week .
Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Anybody know how many passengers on the peak domestic services are on full fare or premium connectors ?
I guess my question is will the demand outstrip the number of rows available to be converted for the CE roll out? !!
Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Anybody know how many passengers on the peak domestic services are on full fare or premium connectors ?
I guess my question is will the demand outstrip the number of rows available to be converted for the CE roll out? !!
This is my concern too - most of the domestics I get are ram-packed. They most definitely won't be adding services, and realistically couldn't serve 10+ rows of scran on a MAN-LHR*! All I can see it causing is ticket prices increasing across the board - a good idea to reduce capacity on already fit-to-bursting routes for the sake of BoB? I think not.

*By this, I mean anything substantial - I know I'd rather just have a free sarnie than a poor salad.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yes, blocking the middle seat back to row 12 or so would mean the loss of 22-24 seats on a 320 on what are already rammed flights....
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigelw
I think that is just to avoid the stupidity of someone paying thousands for a UK non-LHR long-haul F/J trip, and then being asked to pay for a cup of water or whatever on the domestic sector. It's not going to be US domestic first style, more like two rows at the front getting £10 worth from the menu free.
I agree completely, there will be no seat changes.

Still, it isn't here yet and BoB starts very soon.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
From what I understand CE will be coming to Domestics in the Spring.
Originally Posted by flashware
March IIRC
Ah thank you for the information. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.