Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If it's grounds in a cup, it sounds like instant coffee - something that I think is a step below even poorly made drip coffee.
Completely agree. Absolutely vile - even the more expensive product lines.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:57 am

If it's grounds in a cup, it sounds like instant coffee - something that I think is a step below even poorly made drip coffee.
Don't worry - Java Republic don't sell instant coffee, so no danger of that.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
The new BOB coffee is not instant.

The current coffee in ET is instant though.

To be honest I start to wonder abut many of you and how you currently cope with having to buy drinks in resturants or coffee shops.

The new product is a Buy on Board product and you have to pay for it. If you don't like this then you have a choice to fly with another airline that still offers complimentary drinks or pay for Club Europe where everything is still free.

No one is forcing any of you to fly with BA or drink the coffee or tea. You have a choice.

Don't forget, you can use your Avios to buy your drinks and food too.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Littlegirl

The current coffee in ET is instant though.

To be honest I start to wonder abut many of you and how you currently cope with having to buy drinks in resturants or coffee shops.

The new product is a Buy on Board product and you have to pay for it. If you don't like this then you have a choice to fly with another airline that still offers complimentary drinks or pay for Club Europe where everything is still free.

No one is forcing any of you to fly with BA or drink the coffee or tea. You have a choice.

You missed an option, fly with another airline with BoB where they are lower cost.

Nobody forces me to fly BA, I currently do frequently as it's a better option. I hope price cuts will occur to maintain value and competitiveness against rivals.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ENTP
Completely agree. Absolutely vile - even the more expensive product lines.
The coffee cups (not sure of the brand) contain the coffee grounds and so they too will be charged for and will be delivered with milk, sugar and stirrer.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Don't worry - Java Republic don't sell instant coffee, so no danger of that.

How will it work - if as Littlegirl says the cup contains the coffee grounds, it sounds like 'add hot' water = instant coffee?

If you don't like this then you have a choice to fly with another airline that still offers complimentary drinks or pay for Club Europe where everything is still free.

And if BA management with all the cuts large and small are successful in pushing away high-value customers and shrinking profits and margins, they will be coming to you looking for 'higher productivity" and more efficiency - At that time you shouldn't be offended when posters say, "If you don't like what management is offering you, you have a choice of other places to work."

It's not the way I feel - I think BA customers and employees deserve better than the approach of current management. But, your comments cut both ways.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by destere
Oh, certainly. With a foray such as this I have no doubt that the likes of AF and LH would gladly have BA do the initial 'test run' for them.
And sk is doing the 'no 3rd party lounge access' trial for the European carriers

​​​​​​​This according to sk is an enhancement. Sound familiar?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
We are not charging for hot water. There will be no problem if you want hot water and you have your own cup. Many of our Asian customers carry hot water flasks and the crew will happily fill these with hot water.
That makes sense! Now you mention it, I have seen people bring their own flasks.

Can we all move on now?

How will it work - if as Littlegirl says the cup contains the coffee grounds, it sounds like 'add hot' water = instant coffee?
Well, you can buy coffee bags - like tea bags but with ground coffee. Something like that maybe?

It's not the way I feel.
Clearly it is! Accepting BOB or taking your business to other airlines is in no way comparable to leaving a job and career. Littlegirl is right. Just like BCal - "We never forget you have a choice"...

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
And sk is doing the 'no 3rd party lounge access' trial for the European carriers

​​​​​​​This according to sk is an enhancement. Sound familiar?
Well spotted! To be fair, I think this is a perfectly acceptable policy.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
... I can assure you that everything we think and most of what we do is psychological Edited to add: Out of interest, why has this decision to move to BoB provoked such anger among customers including yourself? The provision of food and drink from an authority figure (in this case the crew) is hard-wired right back to our infancy when we were helpless in our cots and totally reliant on Mum to feed us. We can't see our unconscious, but there is something perhaps very personally uncomfortable for us when what was provided to us for free as we sit 'helpless' in our seat, now is no longer freely given and we must pay for it. Stuff around food and drink can be highly emotive Also, the introduction of money into this two way exchange can represent an Oedipal element but that is another whole ballpark...
Why overanalyse everything? It's absolutely nothing to do with my mother but everything to do with BA and its never ending penny pinching. This is nothing other than a new way for BA to cut costs and increase revenue. I am personally displeased that after shelling out several thousand pounds to fly in First with BA that I am being charged for a drink on my domestic feeder flight.

BA is working hard at forcing me away, and its constant penny pinching has already had an affect on my future travel choices.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Dec 26, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

At a ridiculous cost though!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by destere

Clearly it is! Accepting BOB or taking your business to other airlines is in no way comparable to leaving a job and career. Littlegirl is right. Just like BCal - "We never forget you have a choice"...
It isn't -- I have empathy for the front line employees at BA.

And the BCal phrase meaning was we want to please you - whereas the comment by Littlegirl was essentially "If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you as you leave."

Marshall/King made employees proud to work for BA, and empowered them to make the experience the best possible for customers. Current BA management sings a song of gloom and doom ahead as the reason they nickel and dime the product and employees. The flip attitude of "if you don't like it, go someplace else" is not what you typically see from employees in a well-run service business. However, BA management doesn't see what they do as a service business. They view it as a commodity transportation enhanced by marketing.

I think it's fine for BA employees to tell customers who don't like it to hit the road. My comment was and is, don't be surprised that management see you in the same way they view flowers in the F toilets and stocking Club Kitchen.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

And the BCal phrase meaning was we want to please you - whereas the comment by Littlegirl was essentially "If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you as you leave."

Marshall/King made employees proud to work for BA, and empowered them to make the experience the best possible for customers. Current BA management sings a song of gloom and doom ahead as the reason they nickel and dime the product and employees. The flip attitude of "if you don't like it, go someplace else" is not what you typically see from employees in a well-run service business. However, BA management doesn't see what they do as a service business. They view it as a commodity transportation enhanced by marketing.

I think it's fine for BA employees to tell customers who don't like it to hit the road. My comment was and is, don't be surprised that management see you in the same way they view flowers in the F toilets and stocking Club Kitchen.
Your comments are well-made ^
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I agree.

I would only add that in fairness, I think that BA management already sees employees as disposable, just like passengers. I would like to hope that no one - employee or passenger - would be naïve enough to think that if BA manages to cut more costs on one, they will spare the other. There is no win/lose game here.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Since crews do not like this system then I hope they protest to the point that BA decides to revert back to complimentary items.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Since crews do not like this system then I hope they protest to the point that BA decides to revert back to complimentary items.
Using the good old divide and conquer strategy, BA management has incentivised the crews to support the new system as they will get a cut of the sales amounts. It presumably won't be much but salaries for some categories are so low that that should be sufficient to make them need it. Were the system discontinued, the crew would just lose the promised cash with nothing to replace it, so on the whole, they won't protest.

In other words, if any unhappy passengers want their dissatisfaction to be clear to management, they will have to do this themselves.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Why overanalyse everything? It's absolutely nothing to do with my mother but everything to do with BA and its never ending penny pinching. This is nothing other than a new way for BA to cut costs and increase revenue. I am personally displeased that after shelling out several thousand pounds to fly in First with BA that I am being charged for a drink on my domestic feeder flight.

BA is working hard at forcing me away, and its constant penny pinching has already had an affect on my future travel choices.
You keep throwing this at me. I've explained myself in post 2126, and don't intend to be censored by you. You enjoy adding legal insights often enough, and very occasionally I add psychoanalytical ones. If the mods wish to intervene on my future posts if they feel they are not relevant that is up to them.

Fair enough re your future travel choices - that is entirely your right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.