Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
PS: In the spirit of moving away from oft repeated arguments, one thing that we have not discussed much in this thread is that I think that part of the original drive to this BoB - or rather why it is BA which has gone that route - is that BA whilst being globally profitable has been historically less good at generating ancillary revenues than its competitors - not only low cost but also European legacy ones, as shown here:

http://fortune.com/2015/07/14/airlines-highest-fees/

Note that AF/KL is in 4th place ($2bln) in those rankings and the LH group 7th ($1.6bln), whilst FR is ranked 5th ($1.9bln)and U2 8th ($1.4bln). By contrast, IAG is not in the top 10 list and therefore below $1bln in 2014 (which is the amount managed by Alaska Airlines in 10th place). Of course those figures increase sharply every year (for IAG and everyone else) and are an increasing part of airlines' income and profit alike, but BA is late in that game and may have tried to hit big to catch up on its lateness.

My personal sense is that BoB is actually even more about ancillary income than it is about cost cutting (it is of course about both, but I personally suspect that this forum is partly wrong - or at least too customer-centric - in assuming that cost cutting is the major drive).

I would add that I'm personally convinced that it will also open the way to more ancillary income operations. For example, I fully expect Bronze/OW ruby as well as WT+ passengers to be sold lounge access for a fee before long.

I could also imagine a reform of the POUG/AUP system to make it more lucrative, maybe Champagne and premium drinks sold alongside the infamous snacks in WT and WT+ (in fact, they'd probably have more success!) while spirits may well be withdrawn from the free cart to create demand.

As discussed earlier, BA's yields are down and I suspect that this will be the key issue for Walsh and Cruz and as they won't be able to make up for it with fares as they decrease service levels, my sense is that beyond the obvious, which is seat densification, they will target ancillary income big time. After all, if DY is the model, that is also what they are excellent at.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That is merely an empirical fact, repeated over and again by the airlines that have 'been there' such as LX, or are still trying - such as AF and AZ. For one of those I actually saw the figures and they were telling.

The fact that a market is price sensitive does not imply that it is fully elastic, far from it, and in many ways, BA has been benefitting from that for years. People do build loyalties, corporate contracts and policies (two different but equally important things) and reputational factors have been well-evidenced to play a significant role in purchase habits in both air travel and other industries, and is also well evidenced not to be symmetric (ie it does take much longer to build up a reputation than to break it down).
That is very much seen by a colleague of mine, who flies them every 2nd week and wasn't even aware of the upcoming BoB until I told him
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flashware
That is very much seen by a colleague of mine, who flies them every 2nd week and wasn't even aware of the upcoming BoB until I told him
Yes, I think that as a whole, this forum is grossly overestimating how aware people are of the forthcoming change. Because we are obsessed with air travel doesn't mean that everyone else is! Remember the introduction of HBO, we had people surprised not to have an inclusive luggage allowance months after it was introduced. Sure, some papers have discussed this but not everyone reads the papers, and when they do they typically select specific news that interest them.

And of course, this forum is vastly UK-centric and there has been exactly zero interest or comment on the story abroad whilst the majority of BA's crucial connecting traffic is foreign based be it in Europe (outgoing) or beyond (incoming). So your friend has no reason to feel bad, others will discover the change much later than him!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I would rather pay the 20 when and if I want to drink or eat something then go back to the days of regulated and expensive air travel.
I can see both sides of the argument, however I find the proposition that it's a choice between BOB and regulated air travel to be a bit silly.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Those of us purchasing tickets from the UK regions are paying considerably more than we used to for our long haul trips in J and F. Complementary refreshments are part of that fare, you may pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars less for your tickets and enjoy Club Europe to connect to your long haul. We on the other hand get to travel domestic economy for significantly more and now we have to pay for water or other refreshment.

The penny pinching is not just BOB, it's happening throughout the airline and, from my perspective, it's gone too far. It may be good value for you on cheap foreign tickets but those of us paying ever increasing U.K. prices we are certainly not enjoying value.
Is the issue the period between Jan and the supposed launch of domestic Club in March? I agree its rather shambolic to not start Domestic Club immediately at the suspension of included drinks & snacks. However, one of the main disadvantages from my perspective is that those on expensive (and crap flexibility) tickets had a 3-3 configuration down to LHR with nothing special. Connecting through a European hub does give a more premium experience.

BA still has a long way to go to provide a decent product to regional connecting pax who are paying a lot for CW for what can be cheaper F fares out of DUB.
There's sweet FA to make regional F pax feel special. I have not flown AF P but I am extremely impressed that by way of the Trip Reports of SFO777 there were PA's in stations like BOD!

I think you are at a huge advantage using MAN that you need a connecting flight and looking towards LH/LX or AF can offer competitive and (in my opinion) an overall more premium experience IF you are willing to connect in a US hub for your flights to LAS. I can only speak of LH and LX and my highest status has only been Senator that the treatment was really good and really no benefit to having such status except some seat blocking-which is at it should be.
Take MIA ex-MAN, its £3300 flat on LH/LX in F across the board with minimal advance purchase. BA is £4100. You can generally route LH/LX as you wish and the tickets have similar terms. There's no way I could be persuaded to take BA except on very specific routes where the aircraft is a bit crappy. Now something like 7 long-haul returns per year and you would have HON Circle status. You would never have a problem with Omniserve again .

My best wishes to you & family for New Year.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Cabin crew today confirmed that Moscow will be going BoB in World Traveller.

Additionally I noticed they now have beer on tap in the GC lounge. I presume this is so the cans can be removed in January...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Not removed - Enhanced
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ajbrowc

Additionally I noticed they now have beer on tap in the GC lounge. I presume this is so the cans can be removed in January...
Well I sure hope they rename the market to "Europe" instead of "World"
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Well I sure hope they rename the market to "Europe" instead of "World"
Perhaps a sign of the next enhancement due for WT, they are wanting to align with DY after all

Well, on every aspect other than price, customer service and innovation of course.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ajbrowc
I presume this is the A321 services so affected, otherwise they would have to retrain the entire WW crew for the relatively few wide bodied services that go to Moscow. That said, the existing complementary service was pretty poor on that route, but the difference with Aeroflot's service will become rather large.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, I think that as a whole, this forum is grossly overestimating how aware people are of the forthcoming change. Because we are obsessed with air travel doesn't mean that everyone else is! Remember the introduction of HBO, we had people surprised not to have an inclusive luggage allowance months after it was introduced. Sure, some papers have discussed this but not everyone reads the papers, and when they do they typically select specific news that interest them.

And of course, this forum is vastly UK-centric and there has been exactly zero interest or comment on the story abroad whilst the majority of BA's crucial connecting traffic is foreign based be it in Europe (outgoing) or beyond (incoming). So your friend has no reason to feel bad, others will discover the change much later than him!
I remember my father telling me how he saw a young woman crying her eyes out when BA wanted to charge her 150 GBP for an extra suitcase and she didn't have the money! Awful!

Remember the good old days when you could check in as many bags as you wanted? =) I do !
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Perhaps a sign of the next enhancement due for WT, they are wanting to align with DY after all

Well, on every aspect other than price, customer service and innovation of course.
Well all that BA has been doing this year is slowly aligning with DY, launching FLL and OAK routes from Gatwick is a dead giveaway after the BoB move.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
So we now hear that there will be BOB on long haul configured aircraft to DME...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
So we now hear that there will be BOB on long haul configured aircraft to DME...
Yep!

I'm looking forward to having choice and quality on those flights as well and the flight crews on those flights will also benefit from being trained to serve the choice and quality products.

Since those flights are also configured with WTP, they will get complimentary BoB items and CW gets their "revamped meals"

If Cruz finds a way to cut them costs then he certainly will follow thru!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I presume this is the A321 services so affected, otherwise they would have to retrain the entire WW crew for the relatively few wide bodied services that go to Moscow. That said, the existing complementary service was pretty poor on that route, but the difference with Aeroflot's service will become rather large.
Mixed Fleet operate both the narrow and wide body services on this route so there would be no need to train WW crew for BOB.

What WILL be interesting however is the forthcoming 777 rotation on LHR-MAD-LHR. This route is currently being operated by Eurofleet. If WW pick up the 777 rotation they will have to receive some form of BOB training - or perhaps the route will just go Mixed Fleets way also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.