Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roussell
Interesting. Maybe it was the phrasing of the questions? The research I saw was specific to British travellers making short-haul flights in Europe (the bulk of BA short-haul travel) so I suppose they don't much care for the American AA/DL trans-continental passenger.
Well, if you think about Y connecting pax to TATL flights where catering has been reduced. So they get onboard their Europe-LHR flight - family of four that spent $2,500 of $3,500 for their tickets - they have to spend $15 for soft drinks. They figure, we'll get food either @LHR or on the TATL flight. Not enough time at LHR or just expensive - let's eat onboard -- one moderate size meal and then ambient snacks and more snacks for sale. They already might have spent money to buy seats so they could sit together. When they get off the flight, they won't be flying BA again and they will be telling all their friends on BA you pay for seats - meals - drinks - snacks. They may even forget they got one meal free.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just looking on the BA site, found this at the bottom of the menu page which I was thought was quite interesting.

* Flights arriving into London Heathrow or London Gatwick on 11 January that depart at or before 08.45 local time (except BA1439 from Edinburgh) will be catered with our current complimentary food and drinks.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Just looking on the BA site, found this at the bottom of the menu page which I was thought was quite interesting.

* Flights arriving into London Heathrow or London Gatwick on 11 January that depart at or before 08.45 local time (except BA1439 from Edinburgh) will be catered with our current complimentary food and drinks.
I thought that was because these flights were return catered and the supplies would have been loaded the day before.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1
I thought that was because these flights were return catered and the supplies would have been loaded the day before.
Ah yes, that would make sense!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Well, if you think about Y connecting pax to TATL flights where catering has been reduced. So they get onboard their Europe-LHR flight - family of four that spent $2,500 of $3,500 for their tickets - they have to spend $15 for soft drinks. They figure, we'll get food either @LHR or on the TATL flight. Not enough time at LHR or just expensive - let's eat onboard -- one moderate size meal and then ambient snacks and more snacks for sale. They already might have spent money to buy seats so they could sit together. When they get off the flight, they won't be flying BA again and they will be telling all their friends on BA you pay for seats - meals - drinks - snacks. They may even forget they got one meal free.
That is the passenger that is taking a connecting flight via London rather than taking a non stop flight due to the BA price being slightly cheaper ?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is the passenger that is taking a connecting flight via London rather than taking a non stop flight due to the BA price being slightly cheaper ?
Could be a variety of reasons --

- No nonstop in market
- Cheaper
- Shorter routing than other connections
- Single connection
- The reputation of British Airways vs. U.S. domestics
- Not familiar with Norwegian, Wizz, Icelandair, Turkish - too risky to try
- Travel agent booked it/recommended it
- Have an AA frequent flier number - might as well get some miles
- Promoted fare by OTA
- Part of a package - booked via tour operator or cruise line
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Could be a variety of reasons --

- No nonstop in market
- Cheaper
- Shorter routing than other connections
- Single connection
- The reputation of British Airways vs. U.S. domestics
- Not familiar with Norwegian, Wizz, Icelandair, Turkish - too risky to try
- Travel agent booked it/recommended it
- Have an AA frequent flier number - might as well get some miles
- Promoted fare by OTA
- Part of a package - booked via tour operator or cruise line
I fall into the category of Business travelers that have a strict economy corporate travel policy. Although we have to go Economiy we can still choose the routing and the airline. Let me tell you that I will now give the last minute bookings to CPT/JNB to AF/KL instead of BA. As I have to connect somewhere because I depart from BRU, my average £1600 tickets in Y won't go to BA anymore. I have tested AF on long haul and they are miles ahead of BA. I will still fly BA when it is dirt cheap and I will downgrade to Silver on EC and upgrade to Platinum in FB.

Even if it is my company's money I refuse to be laughed at by Alex Cruz. £1600 is a lot of money for me to pay for that MS crap and ask for an eyeshade or try to smuggle crisps to go without th my first drink on long haul. If you want some quality BoB look at the Air Asia offering. That's proper food. Even the EI breakfast is great.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA6948
I fall into the category of Business travelers that have a strict economy corporate travel policy. Although we have to go Economiy we can still choose the routing and the airline. Let me tell you that I will now give the last minute bookings to CPT/JNB to AF/KL instead of BA. As I have to connect somewhere because I depart from BRU, my average £1600 tickets in Y won't go to BA anymore. I have tested AF on long haul and they are miles ahead of BA. I will still fly BA when it is dirt cheap and I will downgrade to Silver on EC and upgrade to Platinum in FB.

Even if it is my company's money I refuse to be laughed at by Alex Cruz. £1600 is a lot of money for me to pay for that MS crap and ask for an eyeshade or try to smuggle crisps to go without th my first drink on long haul. If you want some quality BoB look at the Air Asia offering. That's proper food. Even the EI breakfast is great.
My TATL Y experiences on AF (not in the last 3 years) have been very good - good food, good wine - offer to hang my jacket --
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, that horrible LAX-based family who have chosen BA to fly to their WT+ holiday in NCE and those horrible GVA-based company directors for their work trip to TYO instead of chartering a nonstop private jet like the average Joe!

How silly of them to want to travel between two points not connected by a nonstop flight, like over half of world flight movements I've genuinely never met any non-FTer taking a so called 'ex EU' when genuinely travelling from London; but know thousands who fly with connections because we have to.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 28, 2016 at 2:37 am
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:47 am

I am surprised you care about the price diff on an economy seat paid for by your company!? I would always take the nicest most modern plane available and ignore the price.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by roussell
I am surprised you care about the price diff on an economy seat paid for by your company!? I would always take the nicest most modern plane available and ignore the price.
I certainly do not take that view. I take spending my employer's money as if it were my own, and I chose the best overall value, travel time and product to ensure best value for my or my employer's cash.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To be honest, from BRU I'm surprised that you have waited that long, the AF service from the city centre Brussels Midi to CDG in 1st class coach for all pax and with free wifi is vastly preferable to a plane connection IMHO!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I certainly do not take that view. I take spending my employer's money as if it were my own, and I chose the best overall value, travel time and product to ensure best value for my or my employer's cash.
+1! I would certainly do too! (admittedly even more in my case because I deal with a travel budget so value for money is imperative, but even on rare occasions where ticket is paid by others, I apply the exact same criteria and would never choose an option that I could not convincingly justify to myself. Other people's money does not magically grow in the ground either
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
not everyone who does "exEU" does it because we live in London. Some of us do actually live "exEU"
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
not everyone who does "exEU" does it because we live in London. Some of us do actually live "exEU"
+1 ^

Sometimes this board is like BA - a bit London centric

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.