Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
but its not free really. Someone is paying for it.
That's very true, but sadly, that same someone will still be paying the same, only 'for not it', in addition to F&B costs as BA have bee very transparent that fares won't go down following BoB.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
And to be honest, the posts I have read in the past say the existing food in ET is rubbish, are numerous. The menu looks good to me. Off to raid the larder now, I m peckish.
Before the transition period in mid-2016, I think the vast majority of food-related complaints have been from people on bands 1 and 2 flights (under 2 hours) where they got crisps, etc or specific routes that were under-catered for their length (e.g band 4 from LGW). Band 3 meals have usually been positively received on FT and pre-transition band 4 even more so.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
No
Before the transition period in mid-2016, I think the vast majority of food-related complaints have been from people on bands 1 and 2 flights (under 2 hours) where they got crisps, etc or specific routes that were under-catered for their length (e.g band 4 from LGW). Band 3 meals have usually been positively received on FT and pre-transition band 4 even more so.
I loved my Band 4 meals over the past few years! Haha chicken curry it was usually, with a decent pasta or chicken now and then. What happened to those days?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
okay, yup, that makes more sense now.

So theres a clear distinction and putting paying seprately in addition to the base fare to one side, bands 1 and 2 appear better off and bands 3 and 4 worse off.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:53 pm

okay, yup, that makes more sense now.

So theres a clear distinction and putting paying seprately in addition to the base fare to one side, bands 1 and 2 appear better off and bands 3 and 4 worse off.
I think (indeed assuming we do not take the extra payment into account) band 3 for frequent flyers, but admittedly not for one-off/occasional passengers. That's because on a given flight you only had two options (normally a sandwich+bun pack or a vegetarian salad) while now you get 5. However, if you did it regularly (I'm on those flights every week), you'd get four rotations over cycles of (I believe) 2 months with each rotation having a different wrap/bun and salad, so in effect, over, say, a year, you'd typically try quite a few different things. But yes, I think that's a fair summary!

Again, quality remains a criterion too. I'm no big fan of M&S regular lunch options range (not bad, just not good either) but I'm sure it will please a certain public. The urban eats or whatever they were called stuff was ok, again, not bad but not very good either with a couple of random exceptions. Tastes, of course, are personal so I expect a few vibrant threads in mid-January!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
... for the time being CE pax do not have access to the M&S selection.
Not true. Based on a lengthy conversation with a flight attendant this week, CE will be able to purchase from the ET BoB selection (at the same prices) after everyone in ET has had the opportunity to. Not sure what will be left for them to choose from in practice, but apparently that is an option for CE pax if they don't like the CE catering.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Deltus
Not true. Based on a lengthy conversation with a flight attendant this week, CE will be able to purchase from the ET BoB selection (at the same prices) after everyone in ET has had the opportunity to. Not sure what will be left for them to choose from in practice, but apparently that is an option for CE pax if they don't like the CE catering.
Well obviously they have the right to purchase stuff if they'd like, I meant "free" access.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I think (indeed assuming we do not take the extra payment into account) band 3 for frequent flyers, but admittedly not for one-off/occasional passengers. That's because on a given flight you only had two options (normally a sandwich+bun pack or a vegetarian salad) while now you get 5. However, if you did it regularly (I'm on those flights every week), you'd get four rotations over cycles of (I believe) 2 months with each rotation having a different wrap/bun and salad, so in effect, over, say, a year, you'd typically try quite a few different things. But yes, I think that's a fair summary!

Again, quality remains a criterion too. I'm no big fan of M&S regular lunch options range (not bad, just not good either) but I'm sure it will please a certain public. The urban eats or whatever they were called stuff was ok, again, not bad but not very good either with a couple of random exceptions. Tastes, of course, are personal so I expect a few vibrant threads in mid-January!

very much so re the vibrancy of this thread to come, Im sure this thread will increase expotentially come Jan.

Thanks for your reply - it puts things in perspective for me and now understand why some people are annoyed.^

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:09 pm Reason: for some unknown I referenced Boots Shapers so deleted this note to self - boots does not equal M&S - tis the season !
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
I really wish they would stock Coke Zero, most airlines have been offering it for a few years now!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Can anyone confirm if the refunds include seat fees? I will be cancelling May flights next week and have paid for exit seats x2 both ways.
Originally Posted by simons1
Surely any seat costs will be included. Although I suppose you can't rule out some stunt. Maybe some bonus form filling.
Surprise surprise.......................I've received a refund net of the seat costs................I've replied requesting the outstanding £72.

I've received the following reply...........

Thanks for coming back to us about the refund of your prepaid seating. I apologise for the delay in response.

I'd like to inform you that, as you have cancelled your booking there is no refund due for the prepaid seat charge. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

My instinct is to let the small claims court decide the issue. Does anyone have any precedent or advice?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I am on the 1395 MAN-LHR on the 11th, though didn't realise the significance until today.

I'll take my picnic glass with a screw lid, have a G&T in the lounge and take it with me on board.

When the trolley comes along, I might ask for a cube or two of ice.

Such a rebel...
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My instinct is to let the small claims court decide the issue. Does anyone have any precedent or advice?
How did you pay for the ticket? A UK issued credit card?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I don't understand this excitement about the M&S offering. It is plain boring. On a long flight (Band 3 or Band 4), there should have been 2 or 3 proper meal options. And what about the full English Breakfast? That was something everyone enjoyed.

Honestly, a part from a Gin&Tonic, there is nothing there that I would buy. Especially not those Pircy Pig things.

I will bring my own drinks and food and I will make sure the FAs get they we do not agree with this whole cr$p.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BA6948
and I will make sure the FAs get they we do not agree with this whole cr$p.
Just remember that although the cabin crew are the 'face' of the company for passengers inflight, it is not their fault!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:31 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Why don't they at least offer some of the "brewed specially for M&S" beers? Heineken or Old Speckled Hen and that's it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.