Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Actually it seems BA.com has indeed been updated, and looks more closely to mirror the laminated sheet that was used in training staff.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...nomy-food-menu

So two hot items confirmed, smoked bacon roll and Buffalo mozzarella and tomato focaccia, plus the oat and barley porridge.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
thats looks pretty good actually! Taking the menu into account Im not sure what all the fuss is about regarding the food aspect. Its a lot better, isnt it , than what they offer now. It must be, cos theres been so many posts in the past about how bad the food offering is.

The only thing I dont think is good and is a mistake, is the beverage issue and not giving out non-alcoholic drinks , 'free' as part of the fare. But how many drinks are offered now to people ?

And I value avios as around 1/2 p so paying with avios would be the way to go, for me.

So maybe BA think others will actually see it as an enhancement in a true way.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

From here,

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...|||||L2|||||||

It suggests Coke /Diet coke will be 330ml with fever tree @ 150ml

Regards

TBS
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It varies between drinks. Coca cola is 330ml for £1.80/225 Avios, as are most of the mainstream products of that ilk. Folkington's ginger ale, bitter lemon etc is £1.50/200 Avios for 150 ml. Highland Spring Water, still or sparkling is 500ml at £1.80/225 Avios. In between is Folkington's Elderflower Presse at £2.20/275 Avios for 250ml. So it really varies, but the good thing is that if fully stocked there are about 16 cold soft drink items, which is a big improvement. The tea, coffee and chocolate items are in imperial (is that allowed?), so 12 oz = 354ml. 7 items there, one decaf coffee, one peppermint tea for Guardian reading hipsters, and green tea too.
Thank you both.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I am relieved regarding the soft drink can sizes and hot beverages container size!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
thats looks pretty good actually! Taking the menu into account Im not sure what all the fuss is about regarding the food aspect. Its a lot better, isnt it , than what they offer now.
Nope, if we discount the fact that people now have to pay more for everything, it's better choice for people flying very short flights (bands 1 and 2), but it is much less good for people flying band 4 (discounting the current transition period), and for people flying band 3, it is better for one off flyers (they get all 5 choices in one flight instead of 2) and worse for regular flyers (you will get to repeat the exact same flight options whilst currently you'd get about 10 different things each month, and for people like me who don't like sandwiches, I'm sorry to see there is only one choice instead of 4-5 in a month, and thank goodness I am not a vegetarian!)

Also, I might be wrong but I doubt the menu options will change monthly. At best, they might rotate every three months, more likely, twice a year, and possibly, some items like the bacon sandwich and plouoghman will never rotate at all. So I would say that even not considering the extra cost and purely focusing on choice and diversity, in my view, this is a real loss for people frequently flying bands 3 and 4 of which I am.

Of course, those who want to know about quality will have to wait and taste the stuff, but on that front, I'll let others do the discussion after 11/1 as I am personally neither interested nor intending to taste any of this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 29, 2016 at 1:23 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Will CE passengers be able to help themselves to the M&S Selection for free?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
No
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
thats looks pretty good actually! Taking the menu into account Im not sure what all the fuss is about regarding the food aspect. Its a lot better, isnt it , than what they offer now. It must be, cos theres been so many posts in the past about how bad the food offering is.

The only thing I dont think is good and is a mistake, is the beverage issue and not giving out non-alcoholic drinks , 'free' as part of the fare. But how many drinks are offered now to people ?

And I value avios as around 1/2 p so paying with avios would be the way to go, for me.

So maybe BA think others will actually see it as an enhancement in a true way.
Better, maybe, if you like paying for stuff rather than get it for free...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
CE pax "Will continue to enjoy the existing complimentary food and beverages which are being revamped in 2017"

"Revamp" is the word that scares us so who knows what will happen, but for the time being CE pax do not have access to the M&S selection.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
and worse for regular flyers (you will get to repeat the exact same flight options whilst currently you'd get about 10 different things each month,
The BOB menu will rotate during the year, plus I think it's just a bit of a stretch to suggest the current ET menu has a lot of variety.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I just worked out that the food and drinks on my last return booking will cost £20.40 under the new plan. So I expect my usual route from Vienna to London will see a price drop in the next few weeks........
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Nope, if we discount the fact that people now have to pay more for everything, it's better choice for people flying very short flights (bands 1 and 2), but it is much less good for people flying band 4 (discounting the current transition period), and for people flying band 3, it is better for one off flyers (they get all 5 choices in one flight instead of 2) and worse for regular flyers (you will get to repeat the exact same flight options whilst currently you'd get about 10 different things each month, and for people like me who don't like sandwiches, I'm sorry to see there is only one choice instead of 4-5 in a month, and thank goodness I am not a vegetarian!)

Also, I might be wrong but I doubt the menu options will change monthly. At best, they might rotate every three months, more likely, twice a year, and possibly, some items like the bacon sandwich and plouoghman will never rotate at all. So I would say that even not considering the extra cost and purely focusing on choice and diversity, in my view, this is a real loss for people frequently flying bands 3 and 4 of which I am.

Of course, those who want to know about quality will have to wait and taste the stuff, but on that front, I'll let others do the discussion after 11/1 as I am personally neither interested nor intending to taste any of this.

makes sense to me then, thanks for explanation, I havent flown the ET cabin apart from Band 1, so am just looking at the menu from M &S. So its pretty much better band 1 or 2 and worse then for the other bands.

But, the menu does look good to me - maybe I am just hungry at the moment.

Re having to pay 'extra' for food - if comparing on price, I suspect people will just add in the cost of the food they will buy plus the fare price in the future.

EDIT - just saw CWS post - the menu will rotate. And to be honest, the posts I have read in the past say the existing food in ET is rubbish, are numerous. The menu looks good to me. Off to raid the larder now, I m peckish.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Dec 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The BOB menu will rotate during the year, plus I think it's just a bit of a stretch to suggest the current ET menu has a lot of variety.
each ET band 3 cycle has four different wraps and 4 different salads that rotate I think, and yes I know it will rotate during the year but I was questioning how often: every 3 or 6 months (my guess) would mean less frequently than is currently the case.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
CE pax "Will continue to enjoy the existing complimentary food and beverages which are being revamped in 2017"

"Revamp" is the word that scares us so who knows what will happen, but for the time being CE pax do not have access to the M&S selection.
i'm usually too much of a pessimist to say 'x can't get worse anyway', but I will make an exception and say that by my personal standards anyway, what is served during afternoon tea probably cannot get worse. let's hope I won't need to eat my words!!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bafan
Better, maybe, if you like paying for stuff rather than get it for free...
but its not free really. Someone is paying for it. Anyway, it just 'looks' tasty, thats all Im trying to say, in a convoluted way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.