Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
There are a number of people, particularly, I've noticed, those who work in air traffic control, who do not think very highly of the TK safety culture. There are other factors in carrier choice besides food.
Demand to IST is being so impacted by external events anyway that I think the potential impact of BoB pales in comparison.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
If you are correct, then those fliers deserve what BA mangement dish out now and in future !
Yes, they deserve an excellent airline that gets people where they need to be in the most efficient way with excellent cabin crew and modern planes. Those who view flying as an opportunity to eat a free sandwich deserve wasting their time and connecting. To each their own.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Yes, they deserve an excellent airline that gets people where they need to be in the most efficient way with excellent cabin crew and modern planes. Those who view flying as an opportunity to eat a free sandwich deserve wasting their time and connecting. To each their own.
If people are paying a premium price way above competitors then they expect premium service. Ba are moving away from this and wanting to compete with Ryanair, EasyJet and Norwegian. They are not going to win!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
If people are paying a premium price way above competitors then they expect premium service. Ba are moving away from this and wanting to compete with Ryanair, EasyJet and Norwegian. They are not going to win!
People pay the premium for a variety of reasons. Food may be at the bottom of the list. I often pay more to fly a BoB airline because the schedule or the airport suits me better. I do not want to be grouped with people who will inconvenience themselves for a sandwich. In general, I think there are people who will fly the cheapest option, and then there are people who will pay a premium because of the FFP attachment, more convenient schedule, airport., etc...

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 1, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, they deserve an excellent airline that gets people where they need to be in the most efficient way with excellent cabin crew and modern planes.
Add 'at excellent fares' and 'with excellent punctuality' and you now have an 'excellent' description of EasyJet.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Add 'at excellent fares' and 'with excellent punctuality' and you now have an 'excellent' description of EasyJet.
Nobody stops people from flying EasyJet. If the price is cheaper, the departure and arrival airports are the same, the schedule is the same, and one is not attached to a FFP, then, yes, please choose on the price. Anyone who is even slightly familiar with how airlines price their services will know that the convenience is what costs the most. When I fly BoB airlines, the more convenient time or airport I choose the more expensive the ticket becomes. And no sandwich is included if I pay more to fly a more convenient service. Unfortunately, when I try to buy a ticket from A to B EasyJet offers me ridiculous departure times while BA offers me many options.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Unfortunately, when I try to buy a ticket from A to B EasyJet offers me ridiculous departure times while BA offers me many options.
Could you specify what your 'A' and 'B' are? I'm really surprised as on my routes (e.g. GVA, NCE, BCN, AMS, etc) , U2 typically goes for the 'business' times which are not remotely ridiculous, and it is only on mid-morning and mid-afternoon that they have fewer frequencies. They also allow me to return on earlier flights for free (on the cheapest fares) if I arrive early at the airport and they have seats.

PS: and yes, indeed, nobody prevents me from flying U2, just like nobody prevents you from flying BA, nor anyone prevents Mr X or Ms Y from flying SU or ET or SV - we (mostly) all have choice and we (mostly) all use it. And as previously mentioned, most of us do not choose on one thing but on the whole proposition but I don't want to make that point again.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:26 pm

Could you specify what your 'A' and 'B' are? I'm really surprised as on my routes (e.g. GVA, NCE, BCN, AMS, etc) , U2 typically goes for the 'business' times which are not remotely ridiculous, and it is only on mid-morning and mid-afternoon that they have fewer frequencies. They also allow me to return on earlier flights for free (on the cheapest fares) if I arrive early at the airport and they have seats.

PS: and yes, indeed, nobody prevents me from flying U2, just like nobody prevents you from flying BA, nor anyone prevents Mr X or Ms Y from flying SU or ET or SV - we (mostly) all have choice and we (mostly) all use it. And as previously mentioned, most of us do not choose on one thing but on the whole proposition but I don't want to make that point again.
If Easyjet suits your needs please fly with it. You often ask why would people choose (what you say is) a more expensive BA rather than a low cost carrier (the still full service BA is cheaper on my usual route than the BoB PS). I do not have an answer to that question. Not everyone flies to eat a sandwich. People make their decisions for a variety of reasons. I pointed out many times that I aways choose convenience over food as I never associate flying with food. Millions of other people who fly former full service airlines also have their reasons to do so. You choose to ignore that and claim that the higher price can only be charged for food. I disagree. I pay the higher price for what suits my needs. As I said, millions of other passengers do the same. I can explain why I do that but I cannot explain why these millions of people pay the higher price to fly no frills airlines. But it does not matter. The fact is that they do. And the fact is that food plays no role in their decision. You mentioned in one of your posts earlier that you googled the prices from Kiev to London and PS was cheaper than BA on certain dates and this is why people choose to fly with it, but then it refutes your point that there are people who want to pay the premium to fly a full service airline. People (or at least the majority of people) do not want to pay that premium because that do not need to constantly chew on something. And I certainly pay more to fly PS than I do to fly BA. Just for the fact.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 1, 2017 at 11:34 pm
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
They will get a lot of complains from passengers, given that i am sure many passengers aren't even aware of BOB! Not everyone flying on BA is on FT. I doubt it would go to the full abuse of swearing and more though, unless the passenger is drunk.

I think CC would be apprehensive about that, but when they see their pay increase with the commissions i don't think they would mind
Yes my expectations are very much in line with yours
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:32 pm

Yes my expectations are very much in line with yours
Why? Hasn't the history proven otherwise?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Why won't you name your routes Andriyko? Perhaps we can help you find better options!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Why won't you name your routes Andriyko? Perhaps we can help you find better options!
Andriyko is happy with any airline despite the serivce/offering, as long as the scehdule fits, so must be an airline CEO's dream
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:27 am

Yes, they deserve an excellent airline that gets people where they need to be in the most efficient way with excellent cabin crew and modern planes.
By modern planes you are presumably discounting the 747s and 767s then.

In any case isn't BA's average fleet age about twice that of EK, QR, Etihad, Easyjet etc?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by headingwest
His location is specified as Kiev so I guess he does not have many options other than TK!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I hope that more airports like KEF sell miniatures of alcohol AFTER security,so you can buy your drinks before you board the plane,much better,and cheaper,I have a few trips with BA this year,only 1 in CE,so won't be buying anything on board,will be interesting to see how many passsengers do on my trips.

Last edited by liamvad; Jan 2, 2017 at 5:19 am Reason: correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.