Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'Just to inform you that it's only one teabag sir'

Old Nov 23, 16, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Having the misfortune of a t3 flight for my F flight, I spent my early morning in the t3 gf. Contrary to my coffee dominated diet, I saw BA brought the f tea selection to the gf lounge (a welcome addition) So thought I'd give it a try. Following on from my partner's own habits, when having (typically herbal) tea, I often pick two different flavours and mix them.

I was looking when a staff member who was clearingtables and looked at me insistently. I smiled, she did not move. 'Are you all right sir?' -- 'yes, thanks I'm just looking at what teas you have trying to decide'.

Since she was not moving, I took one elderflower Darjeeling, one elderflower apple, and the cup of hot water I had just poured. This did not make her happy: 'sir, just to inform you that it is only one tea bag at a time and for lounge consumption only'.

I'd rather not comment or I might sound mean.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 25, 16 at 12:19 pm Reason: spelling mistake
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Now that is petty.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:21 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
This is beyond comment.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:23 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
How dare you enjoy 2 tea bags, orbitmic. Can't you see they're on a strict budget?

I'll make sure I try every flavour on Friday when I'm in... maybe even all at the same time
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it does sound a bit petty since there are 2 of you (?) anyway.

However, there is an issue here of people swiping vast quantities of these rather attractive tea bags, far more tea bags are brought out than there are cups to serve them in and sometimes they run out. So a bit of me is pleased someone is trying to stop this, though King "T" Canute comes to mind.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
What's next? No more DOUBLE espresso in the CCR I guess... And wine measure pourers ?
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Are you saying that you hadn't opened the teabag sachets? I suppose she thought you'd be putting one in your pocket for later.

Petty indeed! Just wait until January, they'll be spitting at us!
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

However, there is an issue here of people swiping vast quantities of these rather attractive tea bags, far more tea bags are brought out than there are cups to serve them in and sometimes they run out. So a bit of me is pleased someone is trying to stop this, though King "T" Canute comes to mind.
No, only one of me today! two teabags only one cup and only one F customer.

If lounge tea bags poaching is such a big issue for BA, perhaps they should start introducing quality loose tea and tea pots, I'd be highly approving.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:31 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?

It is a First Class lounge. Everything has been set up against pilfering, except newspapers and tea bags. People are going away on long journeys to foreign lands with bad tea. I am guilty of pilfering the odd tea bag so that I can ask the FA to bring me a cup of boiling water in order so that I can enjoy a cup of nice tea whilst sending grateful thoughts to BA, instead of sipping ghastly American Airlines tea. Lord knows they've cut down enough on many other items in these lounges. I think they can afford one or two extra teabags per person, and if they keep running out, they should probably buy more.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
No, only one of me today! two teabags one cup!
It must be very quiet over there if this attention to detail is in place. Paint on a smile and carry on, would be my approach.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
. I think they can afford one or two extra teabags per person, and if they keep running out, they should probably buy more.
Some people are stealing 20 plus bags, or rather shiny sachets, at a time!
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:38 am
Original Poster

It must be very quiet over there if this attention to detail is in place. Paint on a smile and carry on, would be my approach.
I have, I wouldn't say it angers or upsets me, the actual feeling is that this just saddens me for BA.

(Ps: wasn't that quiet I would say - by t3 standards at least). And I occasionally 'steal' a (singular is accurate) herbal tea bag before my SH flights to have in flight. Not this time but I wouldn't say I even feel guilty when I do.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:42 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Saving themselves paying 2.69 at Waitrose. Some people are petty, but BA needn't necessarily respond by being even pettier.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC (continued soft landing)
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
What's next? No more DOUBLE espresso in the CCR I guess... And wine measure pourers ?
I could be in trouble then. My normal lounge routine is latte + extra shot of espresso. I suspect for this infraction I may be dragged kicking and screaming from the lounge, and forcefully ejected.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC
They have actually been caught doing so? I am surprised given how large the wrappers are. What happened to them?

I would say that there should be no need to punish everyone else for the sins of what I am sure is an absolutely tiny minority...

I've never seen anyone take/use more than one teabag at a time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: