Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:23 pm

Frustrating downgrade on LHR-GLA from emergency exit class to ciabatta class
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by rossmacd
ciabatta class
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
ET (15F) to CE (2D) on BA503 (which experience Mario recounts in this thread: The Perfect Storm)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:04 pm

Long time lurker here. I'm in WTP on the 380 from YVR-LHR. What are my chances of being upgraded? No status here!
Will a paid seat selection hurt my chances?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vancouvertraveller
Long time lurker here. I'm in WTP on the 380 from YVR-LHR. What are my chances of being upgraded? No status here!
Will a paid seat selection hurt my chances?
A paid seat selection does apparently reduce your chances, but not completely so. It also (again apparently) greatly reduce your chance of a downgrade. The lack of status doesn't help, but hopefully you have a BA Blue number in the booking, that does create a CIV for you, If you are OK to pay the AUP upgrade fee (thread about this in the Dashboard) then you are more likely to see it happen, given the evidence. However the key aspect is how well your cabin is selling, the cabin you're going into and the roll forward effect too, and without knowing the date it's difficult to even speculate about that, but the key point is that BA don't do upgrades for fun, there has to be an underlying reason. But to be honest, WTP on the A380 is a pretty good product.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
WTP to CW today LHR-JFK. First time ever upgraded, and all 3 of us on the booking got the upgrade.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hoping to get upgraded tomorrow to CE on a flight with J3 and Y0
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Had my first ever upgrade yesterday, WT->WT+ on the 1800 IAD-LHR service...was an avios booking as well, which made it more surprising.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Blue
WTP-CW AUS-LHR last week
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA458

My first ever upgrade.

I don't fly for work but have been flying long haul multiple times a year since I was 11 as I was attending boarding school. Until today I never had an upgrade, probably because I was on Asia miles and not Marco Polo club or BAEC.

I made it to Silver at the end of 2016 and this is my first economy flight since then.

Originally selected an exit row in ET in the 777, check in at T-24 and they'd assigned me to CE, thus delaying the "opportunity" to try BoB (I wasn't going to BoB).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, MB
My first ever upgrade, and a double one at that. LHR - ORD tomorrow WT > CW. A lovely surprise.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My upgrade from many posts ago, BA 190 aus to lhr has just been downgraded. According to BA, it was a mistake.

Talk about a mistake!!!!!!!

I would feel a rant coming on, but too much time on FT tells me it is not worth the effort.

Back to Virgin for J class?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
Also posted on the seat availability thread ...

BA 175 Lhr- JFK

Booked an ON business rewards flight 5 days ago in WT + and had no seat choice other than 36D right upto check in despite them selling plenty of seats in WT+. it was full and got upgraded to CW at the gate.

Cabin virtually empty and crew asked if anyone wants to move seats so no one has to step over anyone..

Moved to 20 A - lovely flight and good crew...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A paid seat selection does apparently reduce your chances, but not completely so. It also (again apparently) greatly reduce your chance of a downgrade. The lack of status doesn't help, but hopefully you have a BA Blue number in the booking, that does create a CIV for you, If you are OK to pay the AUP upgrade fee (thread about this in the Dashboard) then you are more likely to see it happen, given the evidence. However the key aspect is how well your cabin is selling, the cabin you're going into and the roll forward effect too, and without knowing the date it's difficult to even speculate about that, but the key point is that BA don't do upgrades for fun, there has to be an underlying reason. But to be honest, WTP on the A380 is a pretty good product.

Quick (very general, non-flight specific) follow-up q on this: would it affect your chances if you're entitled to pre-select a seat because of disability? Certainly don't expect upgrades and tend to pay for WT+ longhaul nowadays, but would be nice to know if that would put me down the list.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mangochutney
Quick (very general, non-flight specific) follow-up q on this: would it affect your chances if you're entitled to pre-select a seat because of disability? Certainly don't expect upgrades and tend to pay for WT+ longhaul nowadays, but would be nice to know if that would put me down the list.
I believe it is the same logic: pre-allocated seats for those with special needs and for those with toddlers are not usually selected for either upgrades or downgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.