Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by chris1979
New seat on BP issued in CCR when I asked for paper copy - app showed new seat but I hadn't noticed.
As someone who likes to collect his boarding passes, I've made a habit of stopping by the First checkin even if I'm not checking any luggage. Can I request paper boarding passes at the service desk in the Flounge instead?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:01 am

My first upgrade with BA yesterday, flying from Heathrow to Calgary. They had overbooked the world traveler plus cabin by 9. I am a lowly blue member....

I did have a question, wondered if anyone could answer...

Are you more likely to get an upgrade if you have not selected seat when you get to the desk? There were issues with checking in online for me so I had to do this at the check in desk. I thought maybe me not booking a seat made it more likely for me to get an upgrade?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant
As someone who likes to collect his boarding passes, I've made a habit of stopping by the First checkin even if I'm not checking any luggage. Can I request paper boarding passes at the service desk in the Flounge instead?
Yes I often pick one up here when my phone battery is running low.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by armouredant
Yes. Doesn't impact conformance - though not sure about biometric pic for domestics.

I always get paper BP printed in lounge but never stop at check in unless actually checking in a bag.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979
Yes. Doesn't impact conformance - though not sure about biometric pic for domestics.

I always get paper BP printed in lounge but never stop at check in unless actually checking in a bag.
I don't think there is any impact for biometrics either. At T5 I am pretty sure you can swap between mobile bp and paper bp and all should be well.

In contrast when BA were at LGW(N) the photo for domestics was tied to that specific bp, so if you used a mobile one just before security where there photo was taken, and a paper one when it as checked before going down to the 55 gates it wouldn't bring up your photo. I don't know if that remains the same at LGW(S).
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:59 am

This week could bring an end to my 5 in a row opup streak, currently sat in WTP & my flight is currently at:

J9 C1 D1 R0 I0 W7 E6 T5 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Won't be annoyed if I don't get it, WTP on the 787 is pretty nice
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Calum
This week could bring an end to my 5 in a row opup streak, currently sat in WTP & my flight is currently at:

J9 C1 D1 R0 I0 W7 E6 T5 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Won't be annoyed if I don't get it, WTP on the 787 is pretty nice
Mine looks similar to that but have 5 Y seats left, surely if Y oversells then its a roll forward , both cabins. Im hoping but not bothered if I dont lol
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze
My first (significant) op up last Thursday. I had taken advantage of free rebooking due to storm Stella for LHR- JFK I managed to snag the last pair of seats rather than middle ones in WTP.
Once at the airport I notice that we are now in row 11 rather than 26. So WTP to CW for the both of us happy days !
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Mine looks similar to that but have 5 Y seats left, surely if Y oversells then its a roll forward , both cabins. Im hoping but not bothered if I dont lol
It's just gone to Y2 B1, so I'm not sure if someone cancelled or if BA is just trying to fill the plane. Either way, I'm a happy camper, as I wouldn't want Y on a 788! For the sake of those interested, it's now:

J9 C1 D1 R0 I0 W7 E5 T1 Y2 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive
Originally Posted by feist
My first upgrade with BA yesterday, flying from Heathrow to Calgary. They had overbooked the world traveler plus cabin by 9. I am a lowly blue member....

I did have a question, wondered if anyone could answer...

Are you more likely to get an upgrade if you have not selected seat when you get to the desk? There were issues with checking in online for me so I had to do this at the check in desk. I thought maybe me not booking a seat made it more likely for me to get an upgrade?
That's an interesting question. My own experience was recently my wife and I were returning to Los Angeles. We had checked in on line and we had already selected our seats in WTP. We had bags to check in at EDI (we were going EDI-LHR-LAX) and the check in staff gave us printed BP. We already had BPs on our BA app. I noticed that our seats were now in CW. We are both blue (but have since gone to Bronze, yeah). That's the first OPUG I have had and my family and I have flown BA for years. It was great.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JK90025
That's an interesting question. My own experience was recently my wife and I were returning to Los Angeles. We had checked in on line and we had already selected our seats in WTP. We had bags to check in at EDI (we were going EDI-LHR-LAX) and the check in staff gave us printed BP. We already had BPs on our BA app. I noticed that our seats were now in CW. We are both blue (but have since gone to Bronze, yeah). That's the first OPUG I have had and my family and I have flown BA for years. It was great.
Similar story, flying GLA - LHR - YYC. I couldn't check in and did not book seats but when I arrived at the check in desk they gave me seat 3K instead of 16A.

Seems it doesn't matter if you book your seats then.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Does anyone have any Op Up experiences on a BA holidays booking?

BA silver +1 travelling in WTP, the other two on a separate (linked) PNR are lucky to already be in CW courtesy UUAs and a generous BAEC member (ahem... ;-) )

Looks like my LHR-JFK BA175 on Sunday is oversold in WTP (alas I have run out of a free EF trial so I am guessing by dummy bookings selling in W bucket!)
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Does anyone have any Op Up experiences on a BA holidays booking?

BA silver +1 travelling in WTP, the other two on a separate (linked) PNR are lucky to already be in CW courtesy UUAs and a generous BAEC member (ahem... ;-) )

Looks like my LHR-JFK BA175 on Sunday is oversold in WTP (alas I have run out of a free EF trial so I am guessing by dummy bookings selling in W bucket!)
I don't think it effects your opup chances, I've had two. MLA-LGW ET to CE & JFK-LHR J to F.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
I don't think it effects your opup chances, I've had two. MLA-LGW ET to CE & JFK-LHR J to F.
Thanks, will report back if I succeed.

A related note, does the A380 back from MIA see many op ups from WTP?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Not this week but a couple of weeks ago, myself and the family were upgraded to WTP flying back from Montreal. Was a redemption flight and Y was not even very full, but CSD came to say hello after the doors were closed and asked if we wanted to move.
that's nice of the CSD! What was the reason for that? I once had that but that was due to faulty IFE at my seat and a full Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.