Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
What's so hard about getting a special meal upgrade passenger accommodated? I'd imagine they'd have several to spare regardless of class of service...
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Someone in this thread said when they tried to board it "rejected them" so they could be upgraded.

Is this the case? I was not aware they could upgrade you at the gate?

I thought it was only on check/in or bag drop?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:18 pm

Can be at any point, including once you are in your original seat !!

In my experience at T5 it's been already done by the time I get to bag drop but from an outstation always at the gate
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Can be at any point, including once you are in your original seat !!

In my experience at T5 it's been already done by the time I get to bag drop but from an outstation always at the gate
Does being on a domestic flights on the same ticket before the long haul effect your upgrade chances. I feel it does. I've been upgraded at the airport pre-long haul but never on the other leg.

I also feel its easier to get an upgrade if i don't check in online (at all) and arrive early. I not sure If there are downsides to this or not, but once doing with Lufthansa (not trying to get upgrade just forgot) when I tried it, they rejected it. Got to the airport for the domestic leg and the terminal screen said "see staff".

When to manually check in and she says there is not enough room on the long haul flight. She said she will still get me to the long haul flight but I may be bumped.

They were asking at the gate for volunteers, I didn't say a thing and ended up being the chosen one. Was not too bothered. I was on a business trip that was not time sensitive. Got 600 euros (cash) and 100 euro meal voucher. Put up in a hotel and upgraded to business on the flight the next day.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm over joyed! Usually the short haul flights OSL-LHR are fairly easy to upgrade but just got both LHR-SFO SFO-LHR upgraded from WT+, and the flight is not leaving until the end of April! Been trying to upgrade since 2014. And have never gotten it this far in advanced!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
What's so hard about getting a special meal upgrade passenger accommodated? I'd imagine they'd have several to spare regardless of class of service...
BA don't load spare special meals - it's all to order.

on top of that - the special meal is cabin specific and BA have strict 'service for the right cabin' mentality so they can't/shouldn't serve a WT+ special meal in the CW cabin.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
WTP to CW coming back from JFK last Sunday. Done at check in but check in lady didn't mention it at all. Only realised as I entered the lounge. Very nice though. First ever upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSwede
I'm over joyed! Usually the short haul flights OSL-LHR are fairly easy to upgrade but just got both LHR-SFO SFO-LHR upgraded from WT+, and the flight is not leaving until the end of April! Been trying to upgrade since 2014. And have never gotten it this far in advanced!
I'd check that - are you 100% sure it's not an aircraft change? E.g., you might find that the 63A you were after on the upper deck of a 747 is actually WTP on an A380 - or do you mean that you've upgraded with avios?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OSIModel
Someone in this thread said when they tried to board it "rejected them" so they could be upgraded.

Is this the case? I was not aware they could upgrade you at the gate?

I thought it was only on check/in or bag drop?
I'd say that the majority of my upgrades have been at the gate, or if not with the "magic beep" then in the lounge beforehand. I've never had anything as early as check-in but I have had them while people might still be dropping bags (although I am virtually always hand baggage only, whatever my ticket allows).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Don't mean to double post - but will add data point here - WT+ to CW on Friday night and last night LHR-DXB-LHR

Both times upgrade spotted on phone by seat change at 1.50-1.45 to departure time. Fri happened before boarding pass generated, last night after. So not sure if this impacts.

Also, two of us travelling - both updgrade. However my boarding pass printed in Dubai had typed on it "IVOL UG DUE O/SALES W-J"

Cheapened the experience
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Rather like California Swede, I've had my return leg from Aus upgraded from WT+ to J, and the flight isn't until mid April.

I do hope it isn't an IT glitch!!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Got an upgrade from SIN-SYD T-24 online check-in.

Plesantly surprised that BA is giving me the TPs and Avios for PE with it too.

Only problem now is I can't select my PE seat and it says online: "Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office."

Fingers crossed I get the rare upgrade double. From Y to PE and then J.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:42 am

Talking

Struck very lucky this week...

Op-up from WTP to CW (upper deck A380) on rammed full BA55 LHR-JNB this week. Surprising element was that it was an ex-EU (from AMS), booked in Y and then UUA to WTP. Seat allocation updated on the app when I landed at LHR on the AMS-LHR leg.

First LH op-up since being a newly-minted GCH in November 2015, having had them basically 50% of the time as a SCH...
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Op Up bonanza this weekend on SH due to HT crowds, I am sure. T5 heaving, almost twice as many pax going through this weekend than middle of the week; upgrade at the gate. A classic case of "got a worse seat and a meal I didn't really need", but that's another story. And I suppose with CCR again struggling with kitchen problems and no hot food, the brunch was at least a bit welcome.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by OSIModel
Does being on a domestic flights on the same ticket before the long haul effect your upgrade chances. I feel it does. I've been upgraded at the airport pre-long haul but never on the other leg.
Not IME but that's from the second half of 2015, so may not be valid any more. I was doing JFK-LHR-MAN and back every few weeks, mostly in WTP. I was op-uped to CW three times in the late summer / early autumn, once at the gate at JFK, twice via the app at LHR after completing my domestic leg.

I also feel its easier to get an upgrade if i don't check in online (at all) and arrive early.
I always did OLCI on the app as soon as it opened, and sometimes got seq 001 on my electronic BP. I read here that earlier check-ins increase op-up chances and my experience seems consistent with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.