Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AMS-LHR. ringingup and +1 both upgraded to CE. We're on the flight now. I noticed seats had changed on the BA app when we were in the lounge.

My first OpUp ever. On any airline. If you don't count an upgraded mid flight on the way back from Soul, when my IFE in CW stopped working.

Only minus is that our seat are not together. Not a big deal on such a short flight.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:06 pm

ACCRA

flew return to accra this week - two separate single bookings both on avios.

got upgraded on the outbound to WTP about a day before and a couple of hours before after i had checked in on return - gate did not know anything about it, i had to ask them to reissue the boarding pass.

first ever time for upgrades - due to silver i assume.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
My first ever BA upgrade. At the gate on a South African internal flight PLZ-CPT.
Annoyingly on one of the few segments I fly a year with the family (who weren't upgraded!)

As I was only one row in front of them I self-downgraded and swapped much to the delight of the chap sitting in my original seat. I suspect he was equally happy that he'd be in Club and not sitting next to a three year old!

Last edited by CloudGazer; Feb 19, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
J to F at gate from LAX to LHR yesterday.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:58 pm

Partner and I upgraded from Y to J on 20/02 flying TPA to LGW. Partner has just soft landed to Bronze and I am Blue.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Wow - that's some upgrade...double upgrade (Y to J), for two people...

Was Y full? Even so, would normally expect BA to roll forward cabins i.e. move Y passengers into WTP and then move WTP into J...

I think you REALLY lucked out there. Any idea how/why?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
Wow - that's some upgrade...double upgrade (Y to J), for two people...

Was Y full? Even so, would normally expect BA to roll forward cabins i.e. move Y passengers into WTP and then move WTP into J...

I think you REALLY lucked out there. Any idea how/why?
When I originally booked, the seating plan had 219Y but the configuration changed to 124Y the day before. The flight was full, although there were two seats in J empty.

I did receive a survey after the flight out to Tampa, and I did make it a bit of a whingefest...not sure if that made any difference!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ah OK - they switched from a 3-class to a 4-class 777 then? Which cuts the Y seats hugely...

I guess if they just had the two J seats to make it work, then travelling as a pair will have helped. There's some (anecdotal) evidence of the system flagging up 'lower-tier' or recently demoted BAEC members for upgrades as a 'teaser' (for example, anecdotal evidence of Silvers being upgraded over Golds...) - plus I guess TPA is not a very status-heavy route for BA - so the upgrade gods were in your favour maybe

hope you enjoyed...that's the kind of upgrade you really appreciate (and I never seem to get...)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
Ah OK - they switched from a 3-class to a 4-class 777 then? Which cuts the Y seats hugely...

I guess if they just had the two J seats to make it work, then travelling as a pair will have helped. There's some (anecdotal) evidence of the system flagging up 'lower-tier' or recently demoted BAEC members for upgrades as a 'teaser' (for example, anecdotal evidence of Silvers being upgraded over Golds...) - plus I guess TPA is not a very status-heavy route for BA - so the upgrade gods were in your favour maybe

hope you enjoyed...that's the kind of upgrade you really appreciate (and I never seem to get...)
We enjoyed it very much thanks!

The funny thing was, as the plane was originally supposed to be three class, we had hoped that we might get three seats to ourselves, so my heart sank when the checkin lady said that the flight was full! It was only walking away from checkin that it finally clicked that we had been upgraded, when our seat numbers looked too low. I had wondered why she had gone into detail about the lounge when we no longer qualified to use it.

It was a great crew too... very attentive and generous with the drinkies!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Originally Posted by MichelleUK1
Partner and I upgraded from Y to J on 20/02 flying TPA to LGW. Partner has just soft landed to Bronze and I am Blue.
What is soft landed?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OSIModel
What is soft landed?
If you don't requailfy at a certain level you don't go all the way down to blue. You soft land for the next year at the level below. Have a read of the guide sticky for more information.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, IHG platinum, Hilton diamond
x5 LHR ATH

All 5 of us got upgraded whilst in the lounge at LHR.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
BA is pure s**t, 40+ flights never been upgraded as a gold.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hyattdiamant
BA is pure s**t, 40+ flights never been upgraded as a gold.
Upgrades are not a benefit for golds though (or any other tier). Stop getting upset about something which isn't actually a benefit. As a GGL I have many more than 40+ flights without an upgrade
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Got an email from the Amex TA this morning "contact us urgently about a major change to your flight", dreaded the worst and assumed Doris had done the dirty and it was cancelled, checked the app and I'd been upgraded from WT+ to CW on tomorrow morning's LHR-JFK

First time ever I've had an upgrade before check in. Today is a happy Friday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.