Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
So - who got a free upgrade this week?

The reason I ask is that I did not. In fact I have not had one on any airline ever despite many hundreds of flights over the last 51 years..

If you did get one this week please let me know where from/to, what class and how smug did you feel.. It won't make me feel any happier stuck down here in Y with the great unwashed but it would be nice to know someone gets one.

SunshineBob.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
I flew easy jet if that makes you feel any better

Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
If you did get one this week please let me know where from/to, what class and how smug did you feel.. It won't make me feel any happier stuck down here in Y with the great unwashed but it would be nice to know someone gets one.
Today / DLM-LGW / ET to CE in MMB / Not so smug, it happens.

But did you really want to know that? Trust you are using RFS to the full, since that's one of the best levers into CE.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

But did you really want to know that? Trust you are using RFS to the full, since that's one of the best levers into CE.
But for the upgrade, wouldn't that have violated the Hamburg rule?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I flew yesterday, I didn't get upgraded on either flight because I paid for the best class available.
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:55 am

Well, you live near Malaga so count your blessings in other ways.

It's nice when you get upgraded but it's happened to me rarely. Not this week, although the coffee bar I go to every day did offer me a free second croissant today!
Sealink likes this.
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker

Yes I use the RFS but that's not free really.. Its the op ups that a friend of a friend always seems to get.. When you pay for one seat and someone upgrades to the next level.. I get it with hotels and car hire ( like most people ) but never on a plane..

Does anyone or is it a myth?
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'm on one flight this week, in CE, so no upgrade for me I'm afraid.

I'll be a bit annoyed if the cabin turns out to be stuffed full of people on free upgrades though.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Indeed - I also await an explanation for this worrying behaviour
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
ET to CE on Saturday - on a redemption (LHR - MUC)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
I seem to get op upped maybe a third the time on CX flights lately, including from W to J on KUL-HKG last week. CX seems very skilled at filling (and then overfilling) their flights, so some status passengers have to move forwards, even lowly non-CX OWSs like me.
KaitouMasato likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:59 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Does anyone or is it a myth?
Of course it happens, but most airlines (main exception being US carriers for domestic routes) will not upgrade passengers simply because they can. It mainly happens when the cabin booked is oversold or for service recovery.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
I'm GGL and very rarely get an upgrade from Club to First, despite 120 sectors a year. I keep hearing that upgrades do frequently happen, but I suspect it is very route sensitive and day/time. Eg HKG and JKF on a Thursday seem to have better than average odds of an upgrade...
KaitouMasato likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Originally Posted by csutter
Indeed - I also await an explanation for this worrying behaviour
Well I got the upgrade, so the Hamburg rule remains sacrosant? It just saved me reaching for my credit card.

SunnyBob, upgrades do happen, but not often on BA, and only if you have serious status and a full flight. I get CW to First reasonably frequently, more than the "three upgrades and you're out" proposition, but I certainly can't rely on them. I think BA's got it right, I don't travel any lower than CW [though I do have an exception coming up] since I want to travel CW and would not want to rely on upgrades to get there. Note, incidentally, it was a friend of a friend.....
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Trust you are using RFS to the full, since that's one of the best levers into CE.
Is it? Do you mean you're more likely to be op-upped if you're on a redemption booking?

My only bump up so far was on a RFS, ORY-LHR; the flight was oversold in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.