Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 9:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
BOS-LHR yesterday. Booked World Traveller with Avios upgrade to WT+. Upgraded on boarding to Club World.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
A minor upgrade this week. Had booked LHR - NCL before they changed to CE so had hurriedly changed my seat in the A321 from 1A to emergency exit. Get to the gate and I get a beep and sorry sir we are having to change seats for people due to a full flight.

I didn't say anything until he said you're now in Club in 1A.

They had been offering me a chance to POUG for £65 which I had declined when I OLCI
Old May 15, 2017, 11:34 am

After 15 years I received an upgrade yesterday....My wife and I were returning from a CW flight from JFK, and on the LHR to EDI I got the "beep" for an upgrade to CE. When I booked the flights I was in row 1, then when CE was introduced I changed to the exit row. I thought my wife had been upgraded too but it was only me, and it turned out to be a "downgrade" in real terms. The rather large chap in the same row as me was having a bad day which wasn't made any better when the couple in front reclined. He was then was served a panini directly onto his tray (!!) which he took great exception to. The FA misjudged him and made a bit of a joke of the fact they didn't have plates which would have been fine for 99.9% of customers, but he took great exception which made it really uncomfortable and the purser was ultimately called. So not a great upgrade!
Old May 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Originally Posted by tim0409
After 15 years I received an upgrade yesterday....My wife and I were returning from a CW flight from JFK, and on the LHR to EDI I got the "beep" for an upgrade to CE. When I booked the flights I was in row 1, then when CE was introduced I changed to the exit row. I thought my wife had been upgraded too but it was only me, and it turned out to be a "downgrade" in real terms. The rather large chap in the same row as me was having a bad day which wasn't made any better when the couple in front reclined. He was then was served a panini directly onto his tray (!!) which he took great exception to. The FA misjudged him and made a bit of a joke of the fact they didn't have plates which would have been fine for 99.9% of customers, but he took great exception which made it really uncomfortable and the purser was ultimately called. So not a great upgrade!
you shall take these enhancements and LIKE them.

now be quiet, or you will be enhanced once again!
Old May 15, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
IAD -> LHR on the 292 - W to J - really appreciated
Old May 15, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: Meh
First upgrade in many years, albeit fly BA rarely enough these days. J to F LHR to BOM upgrade came in 3 hours in advance so had access to CCR.

Very nice of them.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA
I wonder if anyone would be able to advise what's going on with my booking next week. I'm flying LHR - ORD on BA295 on Monday in WT+, I have BA Silver status and was going to choose a seat but it's not showing one as allocated or that any are available to select. Not sure where I saw it but I read previously that could signify an upgrade? Would be great!

Re thread: I think I've had 4 upgrades out of about 30 transatlantic flights in the last 18 months since I started having to travel for work, all WT+ to CW.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, Psmith!
Originally Posted by Psmith
I wonder if anyone would be able to advise what's going on with my booking next week. I'm flying LHR - ORD on BA295 on Monday in WT+, I have BA Silver status and was going to choose a seat but it's not showing one as allocated or that any are available to select. Not sure where I saw it but I read previously that could signify an upgrade?
Don't count on it. At the moment, there are four unallocated seats, but I think that this may simply be that the bassinet positions remain blocked at the present time. So it's possible that when they're released, you will get one of them and no upgrades are needed. Some people may want to read the tea leaves of the availability numbers, but I am not brave enough to suggest anything from these: F1 A0 J5 C2 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O7 G0
Attached Images  
Old May 16, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, Psmith!Don't count on it. At the moment, there are four unallocated seats, but I think that this may simply be that the bassinet positions remain blocked at the present time. So it's possible that when they're released, you will get one of them and no upgrades are needed. Some people may want to read the tea leaves of the availability numbers, but I am not brave enough to suggest anything from these: F1 A0 J5 C2 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O7 G0
Thank you for the swift reply! I'll avoid getting my hopes up. Cheers
Old May 17, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If I were reading the tea leaves, I'd suggest that a very few people might be getting upgraded, but not many at all. As a silver, it *probably* won't be you unless they really want you to try the CW cabin. I'm sure at least some of the bassinet seats will be allocated without having to upgrade.

A full F and relatively full J leaves very little room to move people forward, and there's no apparent pressure from behind.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
As a silver, it *probably* won't be you unless they really want you to try the CW cabin.
Because of a very welcome change to my work travel policy the return flight is in CW - which I was thinking about paying to upgrade to F if available. So there's not a lot in it for BA to give me a freebie.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
My second ever flight as silver got me CW-F KUL-LHR, and that was on a WTP booking upgraded with avios.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Me! My first upgrade with BA since 2000 - ET to CE on BCN to LHR yesterday on a RFS booking. Very welcome as it was the last flight on a BCN-MAD-LHR-JFK-DCA-CLT-UVF-MIA-DFW-ORD-LHR-BCN TP run.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
6A to 2K on AUH-LHR this week. My first upgrade in about 3 years on BA.

Club and WTP were full, F and Y were both half empty prior to the flight according to the CSM.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Yes! Upgrade today from CW to F on flight to SAN. Nice long flight so hope to enjoy the service in F. Nice start of a (work) weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.