Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Got rather a useless "no catering" upgrade from my slightly spacious row 12 to row 2 on a packed flight LUX-LHR on thursday . Sadly my colleague was on row 26 so no quick exit for me, rather a ten minute wait on the airbridge.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Thumbs up A BA surprise.....

Returning back from HKG recently (attending HK rugby 7s) Mrs fbrj and I were routing HKG-BKK on CX in Y followed by BKK-CMB (4hr gap built in owing to - at time of booking - no through luggage on 2 PNRs) also in Y on UL. Checked in at 1st Class check in at HKG (we are both BA gold). All went well ...luggage straight through to CMB (in accordance with new CX guidelines) and 2 x Upgrades to CX Prem Econ (incidentally, a year ago, again returning to the UK from the same event via BKK from HKG in Y on CX with wife and daughter - we all got upgraded to CX J at 1st Cl checkin).

Roll on a week from CMB, we were travelling QR in J: CMB-DOH-OSL and then BA OSL-LHR in Y. 2 PNRs but luggage was checked through to LHR (in accordance with revised QR guidelines). Arrived at BA gate to board to LHR from OSL. Mrs fbrj's BP was looked at (pre scanning) and was told 2 things - first, an upgrade to J and also that they had been tracking our luggage from CMB and they wanted to assure her that our luggage was safely loaded onto the BA flight. I waited anxiously behind (maybe I was still in Y!).....but was told the same - you could have knocked me over with a feather.....especially as our BA flights were both RFS! Later I looked back - the flight was perhaps 2/3rds full and at least one of our original seats was empty.

Last edited by fbrj; Apr 29, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
KWI-LHR from WTP to CW at check in [no mention of it, just handed CW BP].

Apparently, flight was oversold by 25, although left with 4 empty seats [two of them being on the upper deck].

Managed to sneak a peak at the manifest [more than half of the upper deck were BA Golds] during the flight and noticed "U DUE TO SERVICE RECOVERY" under my name - not sure what for...

Also, found out my CIV score [I suppose that is what the random numbers were next to each name?].
Old May 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Today on the LHR > YUL (WP+ > CW). The guy even let me choose the seat I was upgraded to. Row 1 it is Guess I'll have to wait to the return to experience the pretzels again haha

Great service though. I do like BA on long haul. I always see glimmers of hope.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Managed to sneak a peak at the manifest [...] during the flight and noticed "U DUE TO SERVICE RECOVERY" under my name - not sure what for...
Interesting - a colleague and I were also lucky enough to get an U/G a couple of days ago, and we both had the same message next to our names on the manifest, although neither of us have complained/had service disruptions recently.

So, is this a glitch in how the system puts an oversales message in, or a new proactive upgrading policy ;-), or just that someone at the airport wanted to be kind to us?
Old May 6, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Finally after waiting 2 years since the last one got upgraded lhr to lax! I guess it because we were in wtp rather than the usual cw that it happened.

On another note I cannot believe how appalling lax airport is for transfers.....
at least the KAL lounge is nice and relaxing
Old May 7, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Gold, Accor LeClub - Platinum, Hilton Hhonors - Diamond
Rather odd upgrade experience on my flight to BAH yesterday.

Was given a proactive operational upgrade on the BA flight, 24+hours out from WT+ to CW. BA even called my TA to ask if this would be alright or if I was travelling with a colleague on a separate ticket and would prefer to remain in the booked seat.

I was able to chose a CW seat at check-in, MMB showed the enhanced CW menu to pre-select from and the enhanced baggage allowance.

No mention of the upgrade at the airport, the myflights app shows that the booking class has changed to U. No mention of the OpUp at the airport on the day or from the crew once onboard.

It was a rather surprising phone call from my TA to check that it would be ok, but a much appreciated one at that!

I didn't think that OpUp's were done on a proactive basis? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?
Old May 7, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Managed to sneak a peak at the manifest [more than half of the upper deck were BA Golds] during the flight and noticed "U DUE TO SERVICE RECOVERY" under my name - not sure what for...
Interesting - a colleague and I were also lucky enough to get an U/G a couple of days ago, and we both had the same message next to our names on the manifest, although neither of us have complained/had service disruptions recently.

So, is this a glitch in how the system puts an oversales message in, or a new proactive upgrading policy ;-), or just that someone at the airport wanted to be kind to us?
Maybe it's predictive? Because the DUT can sense that there's going to be some major service stuff-up in your future?
Old May 7, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by NXflyer
I didn't think that OpUp's were done on a proactive basis? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?
Yes, this happens. Sometimes op-ups are visible in MMB two or three days before the flight, or already done by the time OLCI opens and visible at that stage.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
LHR to BCN yesterday, two of us in ET.

Long queue to get into gate area, eventually realised there was a priority queue which was empty when I saw others jump to the front.

I was about to complain about the lack of signage when the chap said the printer was broken so he was going to have to write the new seat number on my BP.

I was about to complain that he had moved us from our emergency exit seats when he informed me it was an upgrade to CE. That could have been embarrassing, that said I lost the legroom I needed and only survived due to the spare middle seat and the ability to stand up at the curtain for a while and not get in the way.

The sandwich served was partly hard bread and frankly poor but hey ho got a G&T! And Mrs Rockyrobin was ok wit her little legs
Old May 7, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Two in a row a couple of weeks apart. First was an op-up through change of plane LHR-ORD from W to J. The second last night LAX to LHR, this one was the first time it's ever happened this way, booked in W got on plane, settled into seat and dozed off during take off. Probably 30 minutes later CSD came through and said would you appreciate a bit more space in club? Moved through the curtain and settled down, many thanks to him when getting off in LHR as never experienced this before.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by dwoodroffe
Two in a row a couple of weeks apart. First was an op-up through change of plane LHR-ORD from W to J. The second last night LAX to LHR, this one was the first time it's ever happened this way, booked in W got on plane, settled into seat and dozed off during take off. Probably 30 minutes later CSD came through and said would you appreciate a bit more space in club? Moved through the curtain and settled down, many thanks to him when getting off in LHR as never experienced this before.
Sounds like the new happy ending service
Old May 8, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
From J to F today for LHR to JFK. Very pleasant but completely unnecessary! Daytime flights to the East Coast are the ones I always fly Club, with F on the way back - ironically, I always use it as a chance to check out the J product, as we take our family holidays via J or WTP.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Was settling down in WTP yesterday (YUL > LHR), happy because there was an empty seat next to me when the CSM came and asked me for my boarding pass and then said get your bags and follow me, and took me to a CW seat. Very nice of him! That was an upgrade on both legs of that trip, what are the chances. Very thankful
Old May 12, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Heading to Hong Kong tonight from LHR, booked in WTP (Company Policy). Pleasantly surprised when I refreshed the app on the way to LHR to find that I'd been upgraded to Club.

Third free upgrade in 12 months to Club from WTP, and first since becoming Gold back in March.

Now sat in the First lounge enjoying a glass of bubbly! Happy days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.