Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:13 pm

I would like to book flights from MSP to SLA (Salta, Argentina) for the summer of 2017 (yes, I'm looking way in advance). I have about 370k Avios and need flights for 6 people. If I booked AA from MSP-JFK-EZE and then found a LAN flight from AEP-SLA, does anyone have an idea of how that would price out? I know we may have to split our group into two groups of 3 to get all 6 of us there. It is a family trip to visit my son's friends in Salta. Thank you for your advice and help. I'm not a newbie to Avios but definitely not an expert either.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
While you're a little eager for 2017, why not try booking a random date that's within range, and see what ba.com gives you?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
While you're a little eager for 2017, why not try booking a random date that's within range, and see what ba.com gives you?
I can't do the whole itinerary online. The MSP-EZE is pricing at 32500 and the AEP-SLA is pricing at 7500. I was wondering how it would price when they were combined. Isn't there a limit based on the mileage (which is around 7000 miles each way)?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:11 pm

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
OK, I need to vent.

BA Gold, last year over 40 long haul legs in J/F. As a result I have a big pool of avios (500k+) and a couple of Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers.

I've tried to book to take Mrs S and the little one to St Lucia in November. Not a single premium seat available - not in E+, J or F - out or back. Speaking to the gold card hotline, and nothing.

So I called my other airline, United. I only have basic status with them, but I have a lot of miles from a few years ago. Within 5 minutes, I'm offered J/F availability on most days in November, with much lower taxes.

How on earth can this happen? How utterly useless can Avios be that a top-tier customer spending over £50k a year on travel can't get any priority above someone who uses their BA Amex card to buy their weekly groceries? "BA Gold get extra availability of economy seats" - is like offering the coffee shop manager a latte. I want premium seats - because thats how I fly. But they're all gone - probably to people who just buy a credit card and got lucky.

On that note, I'm done with BA. I put my gold card in the shredder, and I just won't bother anymore.

Rant over. Thanks BA Exec forum, I won't be attending any longer as there doesn't seem to be any reason.

Grrrr.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
OK, I need to vent.

BA Gold, last year over 40 long haul legs in J/F. As a result I have a big pool of avios (500k+) and a couple of Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers.

I've tried to book to take Mrs S and the little one to St Lucia in November. Not a single premium seat available - not in E+, J or F - out or back. Speaking to the gold card hotline, and nothing.

So I called my other airline, United. I only have basic status with them, but I have a lot of miles from a few years ago. Within 5 minutes, I'm offered J/F availability on most days in November, with much lower taxes.

How on earth can this happen? How utterly useless can Avios be that a top-tier customer spending over £50k a year on travel can't get any priority above someone who uses their BA Amex card to buy their weekly groceries? "BA Gold get extra availability of economy seats" - is like offering the coffee shop manager a latte. I want premium seats - because thats how I fly. But they're all gone - probably to people who just buy a credit card and got lucky.

On that note, I'm done with BA. I put my gold card in the shredder, and I just won't bother anymore.

Rant over. Thanks BA Exec forum, I won't be attending any longer as there doesn't seem to be any reason.

Grrrr.
If you are giving up on BAEC please send your avios to me before you close your account. I will have no trouble using them.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
OK, I need to vent.

Grrrr.
Where are you flying from? I see PLENTY of availability in premium cabins on the CLT-UVF flight on AA, the rest is a matter of connecting.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

November as in next month? Looking for premium availability during peak season (or the run up to peak season in this example) is unlikely to yield reward.

If you're more than 30 days prior to your intended travel date you can use the Double Avios option to open revenue seats for Avios purchase.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:28 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Membership year for a new account

I am about to setup a BAEC account. Just say I create the account in Mid-December 2015, will my membership year expire on 31 December 2016, or 31 January 2017?

Or some other date that I haven't considered?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
I am about to setup a BAEC account. Just say I create the account in Mid-December 2015, will my membership year expire on 31 December 2016, or 31 January 2017?

Or some other date that I haven't considered?
Your TP collecting year will run from the 9th. of the month following your first qualifying flight until the 8th. of the same month a year later. Your status year will run until the end of the month following the month in which your collection year ends. So the first TP collecting year can be almost 13 months long. When you set up the account is actually immaterial as long as it is before the first flight that you want to count.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

So just say my first flight to earn tier points is 20th December 2015, then I have until 8th January 2017 to collect points before they get reset.

And assuming I reach a status level during 2016, it will last until 28th February 2017?

Kind of weird that the tier point collection months end on the 8th of each month.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
So just say my first flight to earn tier points is 20th December 2015, then I have until 8th January 2017 to collect points before they get reset.

And assuming I reach a status level during 2016, it will last until 28th February 2017?

Kind of weird that the tier point collection months end on the 8th of each month.
The status should last until 28th. February 2018 as it is good for one full year after the year in which you qualify. I don't know about other programs but it is much like the AA program, except that AA uses a fixed year of 1 January through 31 December for collection. I don't know why they chose the 8/9 as the boundary. You might think they would have used the 5/6 like the Inland Revenue or the 14/15 like quarter days!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Thank you!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Prospero
[*]Gold Priority Reward. This allows a redemption for double Avios points if revenue seats are on sale but no redemptions are otherwise available. Gold Priority Rewards can only be booked offline and 30 days notice is required.
This must have been asked before but I can't see an answer.

Can a Gold Priority Award be used in conjunction with an AmEx 2-4-1?

e.g. regular F for 1: 100,000 Avios
regular F for 2: 200,000 Avios
2-4-1 F for 2: 100,000 Avios
GPA F for 2: 400,000 Avios
(I hope) GPA F for 2 using 2-4-1: 200,000 Avios?

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Roger

Thanks.
No.

Gold Priority Reward
5. Double Avios points may not be used in conjunction with (i) Avios & Money, (ii) Gold Upgrade for Two; or (iii) Avios for Upgrade or (iv) American Express Vouchers.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ditions-of-use
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Roger

Thanks.
No, it can't be used with a 2-4-1.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ditions-of-use

5. Double Avios points may not be used in conjunction with [i] Avios & Money, [ii] Gold Upgrade for Two; or [iii] Avios for Upgrade or [iv] American Express Vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.