Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:28 am

Are the only Alaska fairs available for Avois award redemption the lowest level, Couch Saver (W)? That would make the Couch Mid-level Choice (N) and Couch Refundable (Z) unavailable via BA, correct?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by asur
Are the only Alaska fairs available for Avois award redemption the lowest level, Couch Saver (W)? That would make the Couch Mid-level Choice (N) and Couch Refundable (Z) unavailable via BA, correct?
Correct, only the lowest level 'saver' award availability can be booked with avios on BA partners.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:38 pm

Can you hold awards booked on BA website with Avios and for how long?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Can you hold awards booked on BA website with Avios and for how long?
No, but you have 24 hours from the time of booking to cancel for a full refund. That type of cancellation can only be done on the phone, and only if you have not made any changes to the booking in the interim. It is primarily intended to protect you from any mistakes that you may make during the booking process and discover later, but there is no requirement that this be the reason why you're cancelling.

You should be aware that the time that it takes for the refund to reach your respective Avios and bank/card accounts can be very variable.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, but you have 24 hours from the time of booking to cancel for a full refund. That type of cancellation can only be done on the phone, and only if you have not made any changes to the booking in the interim. It is primarily intended to protect you from any mistakes that you may make during the booking process and discover later, but there is no requirement that this be the reason why you're cancelling.

You should be aware that the time that it takes for the refund to reach your respective Avios and bank/card accounts can be very variable.
I was trying to book CX with Avios on BA site and at check out it and yes you are right, it shows, 24 hrs to cancel but must be done over the phone. The problem is it takes 30 mins to 6 hrs to get BA agent on phone. Award upgrades, date changes means pay $55 fee per person or lose whatever the tax is? My award is for 3 of us together and shows $169 tax total. I will lose $115 in fees if I want to change the date or upgrade/downgrade the award? Can you change existing awards online?

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:39 pm

Hi, Hope this is the right place for this.

We've got a new Plat with 100k MR to be awarded shortly. Avios seem like a good potential candidate for at least a portion of them. I know of the impending devaluation and may be able to pull the trigger before then. Will have to get creative to finish the spend earlier than planned.

At this point neither of us have an Exec Club account. We aren't huge air travelers but are planning a trip to Alaska and a few other west coast flights (So Cal to PDX and/or SEA) planned in the near future. I'm the one who may travel alone, but I'm not the half with the Plat. I'm also the administrator in the family.

In setting up an Exec Club account, could I make the account and then add the family member with the Plat? Or should we do it the other way around? Seems I can't email BA without first creating an account (makes it hard to ask a question about creating an account).

TIA.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My recent holiday / TP run has been a shambles posting TP and Avios! I am currently 500 short and approx. 35,000. My question is; I started with 980 TP all in. Due to schedule changes I had to change to one long flight rather than two at 140 TP. Am I entitled to the original 980 posting, or will BA award 840? The agent I spoke to yesterday didn't seem too interested and just said the Back Office will sort it out. If it is posted incorrectly can I challenge?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I was trying to book CX with Avios on BA site and at check out it and yes you are right, it shows, 24 hrs to cancel but must be done over the phone. The problem is it takes 30 mins to 6 hrs to get BA agent on phone. Award upgrades, date changes means pay $55 fee per person or lose whatever the tax is? My award is for 3 of us together and shows $169 tax total. I will lose $115 in fees if I want to change the date or upgrade/downgrade the award? Can you change existing awards online?
s
Correct. Yes you can change an existing award online once but you will pay the applicable change fee.

Originally Posted by cal_quail
We've got a new Plat with 100k MR to be awarded shortly. Avios seem like a good potential candidate for at least a portion of them. I know of the impending devaluation and may be able to pull the trigger before then.

At this point neither of us have an Exec Club account. (...) I'm the one who may travel alone, but I'm not the half with the Plat. I'm also the administrator in the family.

In setting up an Exec Club account, could I make the account and then add the family member with the Plat? Or should we do it the other way around?
I'm assuming you mean a devaluation of the MR transfer rate for US card holders? There has been a recent avios devaluation.

You can only transfer Amex MRs into a BAEC account in the same name as the Amex cardholder. Either setup a BAEC account online then use that in the Amex transfer, or request Amex to setup a BAEC account. The former is probably quicker.

You can use avios from one BAEC account to purchase award flights in anyones name, unless you setup a Household Account to pool avios.

So, setup new BAEC account in Amex cardholders name, transfer MRs to that BAEC account, use that BAEC account to purchase award flights for anyone.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
My recent holiday / TP run has been a shambles posting TP and Avios! I am currently 500 short and approx. 35,000. My question is; I started with 980 TP all in. Due to schedule changes I had to change to one long flight rather than two at 140 TP. Am I entitled to the original 980 posting, or will BA award 840? The agent I spoke to yesterday didn't seem too interested and just said the Back Office will sort it out. If it is posted incorrectly can I challenge?
Yes if you were involuntarily re-routed by BA you can call after everything has posted and request ORC (original routing credit).
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nux

Yes if you were involuntarily re-routed by BA you can call after everything has posted and request ORC (original routing credit).
Well, I preferred the re-route and suggested it - I suppose it depends if this was noted or not!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cal_quail
Hi, Hope this is the right place for this.

We've got a new Plat with 100k MR to be awarded shortly. Avios seem like a good potential candidate for at least a portion of them. I know of the impending devaluation and may be able to pull the trigger before then. Will have to get creative to finish the spend earlier than planned.

At this point neither of us have an Exec Club account. We aren't huge air travelers but are planning a trip to Alaska and a few other west coast flights (So Cal to PDX and/or SEA) planned in the near future. I'm the one who may travel alone, but I'm not the half with the Plat. I'm also the administrator in the family.

In setting up an Exec Club account, could I make the account and then add the family member with the Plat? Or should we do it the other way around? Seems I can't email BA without first creating an account (makes it hard to ask a question about creating an account).

TIA.
Another suggestion is to open also an IB+ account and transfer a few MR points to activate it. Once the IB+ account has been open for three months and is active you can transfer Avios to and from BAEC freely. I know you want to travel along the west coast (for which the BAEC is better) but you never know, you may want to travel to Europe in the future (better redemption options with IB, with much smaller surcharges) and it doesn't hurt.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Another suggestion is to open also an IB+ account and transfer a few MR points to activate it. Once the IB+ account has been open for three months and is active you can transfer Avios to and from BAEC freely. I know you want to travel along the west coast (for which the BAEC is better) but you never know, you may want to travel to Europe in the future (better redemption options with IB, with much smaller surcharges) and it doesn't hurt.
Thanks. I'll look into it. I'd definitely like to make it to Europe. Have a few closer things to check off my list first though.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC
I can't see it posted anywhere else but Tesco have announced that from November the Clubcard points (and therefore Avios) earned from spend not in Tesco stores will reduce to 1 point for every £8 spend. This is a significant drop, particularly for someone like me who does not spend much in store but significant amounts out of store where i can't use my Amex card.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JohnW52
I can't see it posted anywhere else but Tesco have announced that from November the Clubcard points (and therefore Avios) earned from spend not in Tesco stores will reduce to 1 point for every £8 spend. This is a significant drop, particularly for someone like me who does not spend much in store but significant amounts out of store where i can't use my Amex card.
It's been reported in the Tesco thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...thread-44.html
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
My Dad has just given me some Avios in an Avios account. If we join together in a household account can I transfer them to my BAEC account?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:47 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
If we join together in a household account can I transfer them to my BAEC account?
No, but you could redeem them parallel to your own. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html

Or he can just redeem them for you from his account. Which option makes most sense depends on, among other things, how many Avios are involved and whether the HHA rules would prevent you doing other things you want to with your own BAEC account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.