Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I have a slightly complex question. I want to book an I class fare using a travel agent and upgrade with a GUF1 into A class. A class is available in the outbound direction but the inbound direction is currently showing F1 A0 J9 D9 C9 I9. Departure is in 3 months so I think I would have a decent shot of clearing a waitlist.

The ticket requires immediate issuance. Is it possible for the TA to use the GUF at the time of issue, confirm A class for the outbound, confirm I class for the inbound and waitlist A class for the inbound? If this is allowed, what would the reissue provisions be should the waitlisted segment clear (ie would I have to pay the EUR 300 reissue fee specified in the I class fare rules)?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I have a slightly complex question. I want to book an I class fare using a travel agent and upgrade with a GUF1 into A class. A class is available in the outbound direction but the inbound direction is currently showing F1 A0 J9 D9 C9 I9. Departure is in 3 months so I think I would have a decent shot of clearing a waitlist.
If the inbound is already showing F1 A0 it's probably very busy of even completely full. I'd say it's unlikely that any additional A class inventory will be added making your question moot.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Added to that I don't see how you can waitlist for A and have the TA apply the GUF later if A opens up. For a TA applied GUF the upgrade needs to be done at the time of booking.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
If the inbound is already showing F1 A0 it's probably very busy of even completely full. I'd say it's unlikely that any additional A class inventory will be added making your question moot.
I've cleared multiple waitlists in A class with the same situation but the difference was the underlying business fares I booked were flexible so didn't need to be issued before the waitlist eventually cleared (weeks after booking). People's plans can and do change over the three months before departure...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Added to that I don't see how you can waitlist for A and have the TA apply the GUF later if A opens up. For a TA applied GUF the upgrade needs to be done at the time of booking.
A class is available on the outbound so the voucher will be used for the booking at the time of issue.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I believe the voucher can only be used in one shot at ticketing. What I have managed is to ticket on a different day or different service on the same day in /A/ and then waitlist the one I want. Sometimes 24-48 hours before the flight the waitlist clears. Sometimes not.

You can book mixed classes, book and upgrade one way to F and the other to J. Which is what I would do unless you are flexible on dates, as I concur with the above that it is probable /A/ will not clear.

KF
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A class is available on the outbound so the voucher will be used for the booking at the time of issue.
Yes that's correct. I don't think the OP was suggesting needing to waitlist for the outbound so the GUF would only upgrade that flight.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold

The ticket requires immediate issuance. Is it possible for the TA to use the GUF at the time of issue, confirm A class for the outbound, confirm I class for the inbound and waitlist A class for the inbound? If this is allowed, what would the reissue provisions be should the waitlisted segment clear (ie would I have to pay the EUR 300 reissue fee specified in the I class fare rules)?
I think this might be possible - Not quite the same but I made a WTP to CW booking (BUD-LHR-PEK/PEK-LHR) using a GUF1 through a TA (Propeller Travel) a couple of years ago - there wasn't any "I" availability for BUD-LHR, so that leg stayed in the underlying K (EuroTraveller) class. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes in the booking, but the folks at Propeller told me that they had wait-listed me for a seat in the CE cabin - and lo and behold (perhaps entirely by chance) I got the magic beep at the boarding gate.

I do agree though that even with the open CW cabin, the chance of A class availability going up again looks slim to me.

Last edited by GinFizz; Apr 8, 2019 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
the folks at Propeller told me that they had wait-listed me for a seat in the CE cabin - and lo and behold (perhaps entirely by chance) I got the magic beep at the boarding gate.
No, this wasn't the waitlist clearing - your eTicket for that segment would still have been in K class. The ticket would have required a reissue following that segment being confirmed in I class in your reservation before you'd be eligible for travel in the I class cabin (without an OpUp, which is likely what happened).
If you look at your BAEC statement for that leg I'd imagine you got K class Tier Points and miles.
EDIflyer and Discovery Bay like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
No, this wasn't the waitlist clearing - your eTicket for that segment would still have been in K class. The ticket would have required a reissue following that segment being confirmed in I class in your reservation before you'd be eligible for travel in the I class cabin (without an OpUp, which is likely what happened).
If you look at your BAEC statement for that leg I'd imagine you got K class Tier Points and miles.
That makes sense - the Avios/Tier Points awarded were indeed still for K class. Just to confirm though when the TA booked the ticket they told me that "The European sectors get upgraded if there is I class space available, there isn't at the moment but I can wait list. " - so at least it was possible to do that (in the case that I space became available sufficiently early to be re-ticketed). Good luck in any case with your planned travel!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
I have an upcoming GUF2 booking. My GUF2 certificate for a open jaw to the US with me and my (GCH) wife. We are part of an HHA.

I now need to fly the outbound seperately and meet her at the destination. A few questions:

(1) If I split the PNR and change my booking (obviously losing the value of the upgrade), will my wife be able to keep her reservation intact (e.g., still benefit from the GUF2 that was originally applied)?

(2) If I no-show and she flies (obviously in J since she’ll be BIS before the system offloads me and cancels the return), will there be an issue with the return?

Any other ideas?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am not exactly sure what you are asking, and I assume this is ticketed. A GUF2 can be applied to a single single booking as a GUF1 - i.e. you can use a GUF2 to upgrade a single passenger so your option (1) would work if you just want the upgrade applied to your wife. I would avoid the no show option (2) as all sorts of things can go wrong - such as CI agent checking bags in under your name.

Have you asked your TA for options? If this is ticketed then they can see what is possible and there may be different grey options depending on the degree of risk you wish to take.

KF
danielbk likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I am not exactly sure what you are asking, and I assume this is ticketed. A GUF2 can be applied to a single single booking as a GUF1 - i.e. you can use a GUF2 to upgrade a single passenger so your option (1) would work if you just want the upgrade applied to your wife. I would avoid the no show option (2) as all sorts of things can go wrong - such as CI agent checking bags in under your name.

Have you asked your TA for options? If this is ticketed then they can see what is possible and there may be different grey options depending on the degree of risk you wish to take.

KF
Yes, this is ticketed. My question is if I split the PNR - in the context of a GUF2 that was from my account and the context of a HHA (which I think pose additional restrictions on GUF usage?) - will I be able to ensure my wife remains with the GUF2 applied to her resulting single booking rather than with me.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
No, your wife will not be able to remain in the upgraded cabin. I suspect also that her trip will be re-priced in the lower cabin at current prices, as will yours when you amend your dates.
danielbk likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
No, your wife will not be able to remain in the upgraded cabin. I suspect also that her trip will be re-priced in the lower cabin at current prices, as will yours when you amend your dates.
That’s what I feared. So then what happens to her return if I no-show the outbound? I can buy a whole new ticket in J and expense so I don’t really care about my ticket value but want to avoid a situation where she gets downgraded for the return segment.

Last edited by MTJ Bound; Apr 28, 2019 at 6:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.