Understanding GUF2

Old Nov 17, 18, 9:29 am
  #751  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: At home...
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,030
To GUF2 - or not?

This TP year I'll be at 2310 TPs, so could get a GUF2 with a TP run - easiest run would be a WAS-LAX for about $1000. Question though is whether it is worth it (my usual TATL route is more often than not 100% booked in CW - and no F)?
CKBA is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:34 am
  #752  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Posts: 3,385
Personally I find GUFs very convenient, therefore I would do it... but It's a very subjective matter.
Lefly is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:09 am
  #753  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 226
Can a GUF2 be used on a one-way booking - however wasteful it may appear to be?
rosswill is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:13 am
  #754  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,581
Originally Posted by rosswill View Post
Can a GUF2 be used on a one-way booking - however wasteful it may appear to be?
yes thats fine, you can use it on a one way.
KARFA is online now  
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:16 am
  #755  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


yes thats fine, you can use it on a one way.
Thank you. To explain thinking here, one way of the itinerary is on BA1 so can't be upgraded to a higher class.
rosswill is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:20 am
  #756  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,581
Originally Posted by rosswill View Post
Thank you. To explain thinking here, one way of the itinerary is on BA1 so can't be upgraded to a higher class.
ah so it is a return booking then? Basically you can apply a GUF to a one way or return booking. The upgrade will only be applied to the relevant BA flights with availability in a higher cabin, whether thats one or several in the booking.

So if you book LCY-JFK-LHR in J and apply the GUF there will be no change to your LCY flight but your JFK-LHR would be upgraded to F.
KARFA is online now  
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:23 am
  #757  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


ah so it is a return booking then? Basically you can apply a GUF to a one way or return booking. The upgrade will only be applied to the relevant BA flights with availability in a higher cabin, whether thats one or several in the booking.

So if you book LCY-JFK-LHR in J and apply the GUF there will be no change to your LCY flight but your JFK-LHR would be upgraded to F.
Perfect thanks.
rosswill is offline  
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:05 am
  #758  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC G, SQKF G
Posts: 25
Hi there...just looking for a bit of GUF2 help: can anyone recommend any travel agents with whom they've had good/knowledgeable experiences using GUF2 except for Propeller Travel?

Not that I have the slightest thing against PT and I recognise they are generally well-regarded here, but using them has not been working on this occasion and I need to get a move on with my booking. I was hoping to avoid having to educate a newbie agent...
litecubed is offline  
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:34 am
  #759  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Posts: 377
What went wrong?
danielbk is offline  
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:34 am
  #760  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,841
I did manage one with Amex Platinum Travel but would be lying if I said it was an easy or straightforward experience! Got there in the end though.
EDIflyer is offline  
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:50 am
  #761  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 3,436
Originally Posted by litecubed View Post
Hi there...just looking for a bit of GUF2 help: can anyone recommend any travel agents with whom they've had good/knowledgeable experiences using GUF2 except for Propeller Travel?

Not that I have the slightest thing against PT and I recognise they are generally well-regarded here, but using them has not been working on this occasion and I need to get a move on with my booking. I was hoping to avoid having to educate a newbie agent...
What was the issue with Propeller? I've always found their agents to be more knowledgeable than most...
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:43 am
  #762  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Somewhere in the Air
Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Posts: 554
I recently used a GUF2 from PE to J (LHR-SJC Return). Checked my transactions and Avios and TP awarded for the J Cabin. I actually called GGL to find out why the Double Avios Promotion Avios did not post. Turns out it takes a few days for the promotion avios to post after the standard avios, Tier Bonus and Cabin Bonus Avios.I was then informed that i have actually been incorrectly awarded the J Class TP and Avios, and should have been awarded the PE class Avios and TP's. Is that correct ? All my previous GUF2's have awarded the higher cabin Avios and TP. On this occasion BA will leave the J Avios and T as awarded.
BAEC is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:48 am
  #763  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,581
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
I recently used a GUF2 from PE to J (LHR-SJC Return). Checked my transactions and Avios and TP awarded for the J Cabin. I actually called GGL to find out why the Double Avios Promotion Avios did not post. Turns out it takes a few days for the promotion avios to post after the standard avios, Tier Bonus and Cabin Bonus Avios.I was then informed that i have actually been incorrectly awarded the J Class TP and Avios, and should have been awarded the PE class Avios and TP's. Is that correct ? All my previous GUF2's have awarded the higher cabin Avios and TP. On this occasion BA will leave the J Avios and T as awarded.
you have only ever been entitled to the TPs and avios for the underlying cash fare not the upgraded cabin (same for GUF or UuA). You may have been a recipient of a bank error in your favour in the past but you weren’t due the upgraded TPs and avios. I understand BA has recently done some recent work to reduce these errors in our favour.
rossmacd likes this.
KARFA is online now  
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:54 am
  #764  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Singapore
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
I recently used a GUF2 from PE to J (LHR-SJC Return). Checked my transactions and Avios and TP awarded for the J Cabin. I actually called GGL to find out why the Double Avios Promotion Avios did not post. Turns out it takes a few days for the promotion avios to post after the standard avios, Tier Bonus and Cabin Bonus Avios.I was then informed that i have actually been incorrectly awarded the J Class TP and Avios, and should have been awarded the PE class Avios and TP's. Is that correct ? All my previous GUF2's have awarded the higher cabin Avios and TP. On this occasion BA will leave the J Avios and T as awarded.
Yes, it's correct and you've been consistently fortunate in the past. Not the only one. Maybe best to draw as little attention to such matters in the future...
rossmacd and Calchas like this.
crazyanglaisy is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 6:56 am
  #765  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,841
Yep, wasn't a good plan to have gone chasing that one I'm afraid. Disappointed to hear there may be fewer errors in our favour going forward - I would have hoped they'd spend more time fixing issues like data breaches rather than paying out fewer TP and Avios, but with BA's approach it sadly doesn't surprise me.
EDIflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread