Understanding GUF2

Old Jan 27, 19, 1:16 pm
  #781  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 680
It seems from this forum that the crew know your fare code and treat you accordingly (ie skipped over for meal choices, seat moved based on other pax request for your seat, or just told you are just an upgrade passenger, etc)

is this actually true or overblown? Seems this factors into the value of upgrade instruments
footballfanatic is offline  
Old Jan 27, 19, 1:23 pm
  #782  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,069
Originally Posted by footballfanatic View Post
It seems from this forum that the crew know your fare code and treat you accordingly (ie skipped over for meal choices, seat moved based on other pax request for your seat, or just told you are just an upgrade passenger, etc)

is this actually true or overblown? Seems this factors into the value of upgrade instruments
Where are you seeing indication of that in this thread, either the seat moving, skipping meal choice, or being told you are just an upgrade passenger?

There is some meal prioritisation based on status in long haul J/F cabins on BA if there isn't enough of one dish, but that has nothing to do with GUFs or UuAs. On the other points I haven't heard any mention of people being seat shifted just because they are on a GUF or being told you are just an upgrade.
KARFA is online now  
Old Jan 27, 19, 3:05 pm
  #783  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SYD, GOT
Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,095
I have experienced no discriminatory behaviors in terms of a GUF from J to F. In most cases it is the opposite as a GGL with meal request taken first, extra hello from CSD etc etc. that said sometimes you get a good crew and sometimes a poor crew.
Koru Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 6:04 am
  #784  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,914
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer View Post
I have experienced no discriminatory behaviors in terms of a GUF from J to F. In most cases it is the opposite as a GGL with meal request taken first, extra hello from CSD etc etc. that said sometimes you get a good crew and sometimes a poor crew.
Exactly. What sense would it make to provide an inferior service to the very people why fly often enough to earn GUFs.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:08 am
  #785  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,638
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
yes that's fine. i think you may have to call to book it though.
thanks
confirmed it worked and priced correctly
ermen is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:59 am
  #786  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Posts: 2,432
Sorry not being lazy but time constrained.
Best value is to but I class and use voucher to A class?
Both classes must be available to make this work?
Thanks.
stevie is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:04 am
  #787  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,069
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Sorry not being lazy but time constrained.
Best value is to but I class and use voucher to A class?
Both classes must be available to make this work?
Thanks.
Value is so subjective and factors so different from person to person that it's very difficult to say what is best for any one individual.

You can GUF any revenue selling class in business, it doesn't have to be I. If this is a TA booking you need A class to allow the TA to apply the GUF, if it is a booking made with BA you need reward availability to apply the GUF to F.

More information in the guide BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
KARFA is online now  
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:06 am
  #788  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TLV/LHR
Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 12,940
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Best value is to but I class and use voucher to A class?
Both classes must be available to make this work?
Only A class needs to be available.

Edited to add: KARFA beat me to it (and did a better job explaining too...)
clubman is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:41 am
  #789  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Posts: 2,432
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Value is so subjective and factors so different from person to person that it's very difficult to say what is best for any one individual.

You can GUF any revenue selling class in business, it doesn't have to be I. If this is a TA booking you need A class to allow the TA to apply the GUF, if it is a booking made with BA you need reward availability to apply the GUF to F.

More information in the guide BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Thanks Karfa.
So weirdly it is better to go through a 3rd party (TA) than deal directly with BA? A vs reward availability.
stevie is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:42 am
  #790  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,449
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Thanks Karfa.
So weirdly it is better to go through a 3rd party (TA) than deal directly with BA? A vs reward availability.
Correct, for now anyway.
flashware is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 1:10 pm
  #791  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SYD, GOT
Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,095
As a data point I have had BA consistently push back if the original (Ie selling) booking class is not available (I was not available and upgrading to A). I know others have had no issue, but you may find inconsistency.

(This was ex Scandinavia where the rules seem to be applied a little more in favour of BA).
Koru Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:25 am
  #792  
PxC
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 828
If I use a GUF2 via TA to upgrade a return trip LHR-LAS in CW to F, will I have to pay any extra taxes or surcharges? On the BA calculator it is higher for first...
PxC is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 11:31 am
  #793  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,069
Originally Posted by PxC View Post
If I use a GUF2 via TA to upgrade a return trip LHR-LAS in CW to F, will I have to pay any extra taxes or surcharges? On the BA calculator it is higher for first...
you paythe same extra taxes/fees/charges that you would do if applying the GUF with ba directly. Having said that a LHR-LAS rtn should have the same taxes/fees/charges in CW and F so you should have to pay much if anything for that upgrade. Where are you seeing higher TFC in F?
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 19, 11:32 am
  #794  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,069
Originally Posted by PxC View Post
If I use a GUF2 via TA to upgrade a return trip LHR-LAS in CW to F, will I have to pay any extra taxes or surcharges? On the BA calculator it is higher for first...
you pay the same extra taxes/fees/charges that you would do if applying the GUF with ba directly. Having said that a LHR-LAS rtn should have the same taxes/fees/charges in CW and F so you should have to pay much if anything for that upgrade. Where are you seeing higher TFC in F?
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 19, 11:41 am
  #795  
PxC
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 828
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


you pay the same extra taxes/fees/charges that you would do if applying the GUF with ba directly. Having said that a LHR-LAS rtn should have the same taxes/fees/charges in CW and F so you should have to pay much if anything for that upgrade. Where are you seeing higher TFC in F?
On the return leg, using the Rewards Calculator on BA site, CW is 449.40 and first is 603.92.
PxC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread