Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Yep, johnaalex - I've managed to have it extended quite a bit in the future previously (when it was erroneously issued early after a redemption flight posted with TPs which were then cancelled off but had tripped the 2,500 level!)
Originally Posted by KARFA
are you able to book the trip before December? Your GUF only needs to be valid for when you make the booking not for the actual flight dates.
Also a 6 month extension seems to be easily obtainable if you call within 2weeks of GUF expiry so that should cover March 2019 anyway.
Thank you both for this good news. We are currently sitting in the IAM Jet Centre in BGI after a most enjoyable 12 days, the news that we can do a similar trip next year is easing the "post holiday blues"!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danielbk
It is a mystery as to when BA approves them. It ranges from literally minutes to days, and in all days of the week. There is no consistency.

To the OP's question though, irrespective of whether a ticket is a GUF, 'regular' or otherwise, fares are never guaranteed until actual ticketing. (this holds true for any airline,
not BA specific).
Has this approval wait time been getting worse over time, or has it always been inconsistent?

I’m waiting on one where the 60 day advance purchase period expires today.

Last time I was in a similar situation, the approval didn’t come through in time.

The thing is, I want to book the flights at this fare with or without the GUF. So, I guess I need to wait until llate in the day to book it myself if it looks like the approval will not happen. Anyone have any advice?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
The process on the BA side remains mysterious...but BA did approve my GUF today (Saturday), and Propeller issued the ticket
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL
While BA may not be the easiest company to deal with, if anyone can get it done in time, it's Propeller! ^
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
While BA may not be the easiest company to deal with, if anyone can get it done in time, it's Propeller! ^
Seconded, the service from PT is second to none!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Quick question if anybody can help. I want to book flights for myself and a friend using a GUF2. We will catch the same flights out, but I'd like to return on an earlier flight. Is it possible to do this? I'd be using Propeller Travel if that makes any difference.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richonlybyname
Quick question if anybody can help. I want to book flights for myself and a friend using a GUF2. We will catch the same flights out, but I'd like to return on an earlier flight. Is it possible to do this? I'd be using Propeller Travel if that makes any difference.
You have to be on the same booking for the GUF2 to apply to both - which means same route, flights, and cabin.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
OK - thanks, sounds like we'll have to reach a compromise then!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
As I didn't find anything on it when searching a few weeks ago, thought I'd post a compliment to BA's IT here, and one that is useful for those looking at doing a tier point run for a GUV2 at the end of their qualifying year.
I took a TP run two days before the end of my qualifying year, on a oneworld airline
Situation:
  • Finished the year with 2400 TPs, status reset (i.e. the TP run hadn't posted)
  • Over the next week a further 120 TPs were added from a few flights I'd taken to retain my status two days before my TP year ended
  • The GUV2 was added to my account automatically with the correct expiry date based on my flights, though without an email notification
So avoids chasing BA support, which I quite expected to have to do , good job BA!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Hello, I'd just like to confirm a few things before I commit to a short TP run before my membership year ends... (I'm approximately 100TP short!)
  1. for the GUF2, it can only be used when the ticket is booked via a TA if all flights on the PNR are BA operated on a 125- ticket
  2. if the ticket is booked directly through BA, then the PNR can contain partner flights and it wouldn't matter
  3. however, TA bookings allow for CW->F upgrade if there are A class fares available; BA bookings only upgrade if there are first class award spaces

And if the above is true, then does anyone have general advice on whether they've had difficulties using the GUF2? I just know that there aren't always first class award spaces available, especially on the Far East longhaul routes - but if TA bookings allow for their use where there is paid availability, then surely it can't be too difficult?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
Hello, I'd just like to confirm a few things before I commit to a short TP run before my membership year ends... (I'm approximately 100TP short!)
  1. for the GUF2, it can only be used when the ticket is booked via a TA if all flights on the PNR are BA operated on a 125- ticket
  2. if the ticket is booked directly through BA, then the PNR can contain partner flights and it wouldn't matter
  3. however, TA bookings allow for CW->F upgrade if there are A class fares available; BA bookings only upgrade if there are first class award spaces

And if the above is true, then does anyone have general advice on whether they've had difficulties using the GUF2? I just know that there aren't always first class award spaces available, especially on the Far East longhaul routes - but if TA bookings allow for their use where there is paid availability, then surely it can't be too difficult?
GUFs are very useful so yes I would definitely go for it. Point 1 is not strictly accurate. Best advice is speak to propeller travel
07L 25R likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
1. Depending on region and TA, BA typically request a clean BA 125 ticket with all flights BA operated. However, sometimes this varies if booked as a through fare, so best to check with the agent who can try and if approved great, if not have a plan B.
2. After BA have approved you can add flight at your cost and a separate ticket to the same PNR. This will enable through checking of bags, but you will not be as protected as booked on a single actual ticket number.
3. Correct. (You can use a Joker when booked through BA).

I believe now BA will allow a GUF to be used post ticketing through a TA, I would not recommend this as the first course as it has a degree of risk that space will not be available.

With much of this around GUFs, best to use an agent who is experienced, and Propeller is an example. As annoying as it is, answers have in my experience depend on agent and country of ticketing.

KF
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 07L 25R

I think you have answers to your questions now, but have a look at the guide here as there is lots of useful information BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:11 am

On an already booked trip, if Avios availability in the cabin above was to become available, would it be possible to apply a GUF2/1? A friend seems to think this is the case, but I wasn't so sure...

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by teledude
GUFs are very useful so yes I would definitely go for it. Point 1 is not strictly accurate. Best advice is speak to propeller travel

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Jun 7, 2018 at 4:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.