Understanding GUF2

Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
No, first on LHR-BKK if I recall correctly. It also horribly timed and gets terrible reports of bad catering around here.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
This is correct. BA will not approve the use of the GUF if your TA sends the booking to BA including non BA flights.
Is it possible the TA send a booking without BA flights at first to apply the GUF, then add the additional flights after BA approves the GUF?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Yes, I've been advised to do it this way and I will ask my TA to try.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Protocol7
Thanks KARFA, I won't be able to use the GUF2 unless I choose AMS-LHR-BKK then.
I've heard bad things about LHR-BKK.
In you opinion what's the best option? LHR-HKG in Club or LHR-BKK in First?
Have you checked HKG from BRU? Price is from 1505 eur pp and is GUF friendly. On the other side, BKK has no F if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
Have you checked HKG from BRU? Price is from 1505 eur pp and is GUF friendly. On the other side, BKK has no F if I recall correctly.
You can also easily stop over and add an HKG-BKK as long as there is availability, which can be tight, using avios. Very expensive on separate tickets for cash.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Protocol7
Thanks KARFA, I won't be able to use the GUF2 unless I choose AMS-LHR-BKK then.
I've heard bad things about LHR-BKK.
In you opinion what's the best option? LHR-HKG in Club or LHR-BKK in First?
Just to be clear, BA do not operate a First Class service on the BA 9 to BKK.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:30 am

This is correct. BA will not approve the use of the GUF if your TA sends the booking to BA including non BA flights.
Whilst factually correct, a TA can send a booking to BA to approve a GUF before adding non-BA flights onto the booking afterwards. Therefore, it is possible to GUF a booking that does contain non-BA flights, just that you need a willing and capable TA.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Whilst factually correct, a TA can send a booking to BA to approve a GUF before adding non-BA flights onto the booking afterwards. Therefore, it is possible to GUF a booking that does contain non-BA flights, just that you need a willing and capable TA.
You will note I chose my wording carefully
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:34 am

You will note I chose my wording carefully
Very carefully, indeed
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Ok, still waiting for the TA response, otherwise I'll go with the BRU-HKG. I just assumed there would be First on LHR-BKK, so naive.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
If you do this you risk having an ADM issued against your TA for the cost of the diff fence between the booked fare and the upgraded fare, which is an incredibly selfish thing to do. Any TA that does this is taking a huge risk and is, IMHO, rather stupid to try it. Not recommended. I'd suggest you stick to the terms of the GUF and stop trying to find ways to screw the system.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Sep 8, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Whilst factually correct, a TA can send a booking to BA to approve a GUF before doing things that are against the policy....
This is not in the spirit of policy and also as mentioned, the risk of the TA ruining their working relationship with BA makes it a daft thing to do...

Last edited by BLHD; Sep 8, 2017 at 3:20 pm Reason: Earlier wording was too blunt...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by BLHD
Grass of the week goes to you...

Edit based on your edit - if the TA actively proposes this as an option, why should I be interested about their relationship with BA?

Last edited by rossmacd; Sep 8, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
If you do this you risk having an ADM issued against your TA for the cost of the diff fence between the booked fare and the upgraded fare, which is an incredibly selfish thing to do. Any TA that does this is taking a huge risk and is, IMHO, rather stupid to try it. Not recommended. I'd suggest you stick to the terms of the GUF and stop trying to find ways to screw the system.
Precisely, why would you subject any TA/why would a TA who makes almost no money on the booking do this for you...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver

Edit based on your edit - if the TA actively proposes this as an option, why should I be interested about their relationship with BA?
So you don't care if your TA goes out of Business?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.