Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by AAL2887
Just tried using a GUF1 JFK-LHR with plenty of A availability (expert flyer showed A3). The agent told me they can't see any availability on that flight - is there any reason for this? Original fare was cash CW
Did you ask them to check the revenue (A class) availability? Several times I've found that agents only look for that if prompted.

It may also be a POS issue if you are only upgrading a flight in one direction.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Originally Posted by flarmip
Did you ask them to check the revenue (A class) availability? Several times I've found that agents only look for that if prompted.

I’ve had this very issue, just ask them to check again as above.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Exec - BA GGL/CCR, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by flarmip

I got my outbound upgraded ok on the same booking, it was just the return was proving an issue. I did ask them to double check for A Class as I am seeing A class availability. They still said none was available. Will ring up again as i'm assuming its something on their end
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by AAL2887
Just tried using a GUF1 JFK-LHR with plenty of A availability (expert flyer showed A3). The agent told me they can't see any availability on that flight - is there any reason for this? Original fare was cash CW
I had the same issue. The agent claimed no A availability and pulled a joker. Another agent later confirmed to me that there was (still) A availability. Basically, I lost a joker over this. The second agent told me I could escalate it but it would get the original agent in trouble. I didn't want that so I did nothing about it. Then, the original agent called me back and still claimed there had been no A availability, but made me some kind of offer where I would have had to pay Avios or something. He was clearly trying to cover up his own mistake. I just said forget it, no worries. But in hindsight, it annoys me what the original agent pulled off.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I had the same issue. The agent claimed no A availability and pulled a joker. Another agent later confirmed to me that there was (still) A availability. Basically, I lost a joker over this. The second agent told me I could escalate it but it would get the original agent in trouble. I didn't want that so I did nothing about it. Then, the original agent called me back and still claimed there had been no A availability, but made me some kind of offer where I would have had to pay Avios or something. He was clearly trying to cover up his own mistake. I just said forget it, no worries. But in hindsight, it annoys me what the original agent pulled off.
I wouldn't have been so quick to lose a Joker over someone's mistake. It seems highly unlikely that anyone would be fired or anything close to it over something like this - but it should certainly be a learning point. Perhaps BA can identify that the training is insufficient or perhaps doesn't cover this area well enough.

I'd understand if general Customer Services staff didn't know these kinds of details but I'd expect GGL staff to be trained or as a minimum, to know who to ask.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Has anyone yet worked out what the actual rules and requirements are for accessing A inventory on AA with a GUF? And how would one know what is actually available if just looking at EF? Because even with an AA prime flight number, A class commercial availability and A class upgrade availability showing on EF I have never managed to successfully upgrade..
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:05 pm

If you're searching for availability as per below and it shows as available then you need to HUACA - the agent probably doesn't know how to process the upgrade. They do need to swap from BA flight numbers to AA prime which can potentially cause a reprice, however it's easily done - just a few phone calls to some back office department. (In my experience the reprice has always been £0).

Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thanks for the info. All of what you shared is what I have followed.

HUACA didn’t work with the GGL team in the UK and India having the same opinion over many days: they could not see the A upgrade inventory that I was seeing on EF even on AA prime numbers (which I originally booked onto anyway.)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott GfL
Originally Posted by taylopet
Trying to use a GUF1 to upgrade an existing JFK-LHR return. There is A class availability. When I do a trial booking for First vs Club the Carrier Imposed Charge is the same ($1940) does that mean there should be no up-charge for the booking, for a while I thought there was a $200 difference in YQ?

Also first time calling, and making the upgrade request I was put on hold and got cut off after waiting for 30mins. Second call the agent said it was in the queue for ticketing and they would get back to me 'within the week' !? I expressed that I was concerned about the limited A class availability going and was told it was 'on hold' but looking at expert flyer I do not see a drop in availability or a hold put on any of my GUF vouchers as I would expect/have seen in the past. Sadly, I'm not sure I have any faith in the BA call center or IT systems to make this happen without further prodding, other than hang up and call again any suggestions on prompts to use with the agent to get this moving?

Thanks
Just to follow-up on my GUF saga from last week. Called the Gold line several times during the week each time the agent said "all in hand, it has been sent for ticketing" after a week and multiple agents, finally got an agent who knew what they were doing, said the booking was a mess and that they would take care of it. Of course by this point the return flight had no A class availability (flight is next week), I asked, given the circumstances if they could move me to a later flight that day that still had A class availability which they were able to do (surprising to me), including a $0.20 refund, and apply the GUF so it all worked out in the end. It seems like a shocking number of Gold Support Line agents don't know how to process GUF. Even when it goes well, it is a tedious process, hopefully something the future BA IT investment can address....
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Thanks for the info. All of what you shared is what I have followed.

HUACA didn’t work with the GGL team in the UK and India having the same opinion over many days: they could not see the A upgrade inventory that I was seeing on EF even on AA prime numbers (which I originally booked onto anyway.)
I suspect this has to do with married segments potentially. either way its so unfortunate that ba is being a pain
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Hi All

Got a 5-week jaunt to JNB from MEX via LHR. Used a GUF2 for it. We thinking of shortening it one week due to some work commitments. Was wondering how I can search for availability as we booked it using WTP avios for CW seats, not cash. What's the simplest way to know if we can move the date of return forward a week? I don't have another voucher, so can't see it in the Avios portal by pricing up a new ticket.

Thanks in adv
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
If there is I class available on the flight in the POS of your local BAEC office, you should be good.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.