Understanding GUF2

Old Jun 7, 18, 4:19 am
  #706  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,580
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks View Post
The upgrade only applies to the BA flights, but it's not necessary for the whole trip to be on BA metal.
.....
probably not a good idea to be posting this!
KARFA is offline  
Old Jun 7, 18, 4:20 am
  #707  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,580
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks View Post
On an already booked trip, if Avios availability in the cabin above was to become available, would it be possible to apply a GUF2/1? A friend seems to think this is the case, but I wasn't so sure...

Thanks!
in principle yes. all the details are in the thread i linked to just above your one
KARFA is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 8:33 am
  #708  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 1,396
LHR to JNB, Jan 2019
Option 1Buy PE ticket via TA, use GUF1 to CW (exp Jul-18), cost c1500, earn 28k avios (‘save’ 2000 vs CW price of 3500)
Option 2 CW Reward ticket via BA, use GUF1 to F, cost c560 + 125k avios (‘save’ 45k avios)
Option 3 PE Reward ticket via BA, use GUF1 to CW, cost 560 +65k avios (‘save’ 60k avios)

I am aware of a potential ex-AMS fare at c1500 but the convenience of ex-LON for this route is pretty hard to beat. I am not really considering this. I have sufficient Avios, but only just, to actually just book the reward tick in F at 170k avios, however this is my last opportunity to use this GUF1 and it has already had the 6 month extension. So really it comes down to a net difference in my avios account of either 93k (CW) or 153k (F), and 1000 more in my pocket. There are various pay more cash spend less avios options but this is too complicated already.

Of the options above what would you do?


cheers S

Last edited by snuffi; Jun 18, 18 at 9:55 am
snuffi is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 10:17 am
  #709  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,641
Is a need to earn TPs a consideration?

And do you think you'd actually make reasonable use of an F ticket if you were to get one? We have sometimes wondered ourselves about the wisdom of flying F between LHR and JNB, when most of the flight in both directions will be spent asleep. With the best will in the world, it isn't quite the same as a day flight across the Atlantic.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 10:34 am
  #710  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 1,396
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Is a need to earn TPs a consideration?

And do you think you'd actually make reasonable use of an F ticket if you were to get one? We have sometimes wondered ourselves about the wisdom of flying F between LHR and JNB, when most of the flight in both directions will be spent asleep. With the best will in the world, it isn't quite the same as a day flight across the Atlantic.
TP's not a consideration as I have gold until 2020 due to the IT meltdown. I suppose I could save this GUF1 to fly after my 2018/19 TP year-end (Feb) and do a TA booking, but really that is only a TP difference of 100-140 which can easily be made up.

I was actually just considering an Option 4 which was: CW out PE in Reward ticket via BA, use GUF1 to F out CW in, cost 500 +95k avios (save 52.5k avios)

This then allows CCR on the way out, and I definitely be more tired on the way back and just want to sleep plus no CCR in JNB anyway.
snuffi is offline  
Old Jun 22, 18, 12:59 am
  #711  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 260
I am at a bit of a loss to understand pricing on a GUF2 and have never used one before. I am looking at price of 1667 to book WT+/CW on the BA site using a GUF2. If I book the same WT+ flight it only costs 1203. Why does the same flight cost 464 more when I use the voucher to upgrade to CW.

Any help appreciated
MrCheapSeats is offline  
Old Jun 22, 18, 1:17 am
  #712  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats View Post
I am at a bit of a loss to understand pricing on a GUF2 and have never used one before. I am looking at price of 1667 to book WT+/CW on the BA site using a GUF2. If I book the same WT+ flight it only costs 1203. Why does the same flight cost 464 more when I use the voucher to upgrade to CW.

Any help appreciated
Possibly two different factors here.

First the surcharges ("YQ") for the route will be different for WT+ and CW, and you will have pay this differential (so in effect you pay the fare component price for WT+ and the taxes/surcharges for CW). Typically this amounts to a difference of 100-200 GBP on a return booking, but can be more depending the routing (and where you start from - YQ on ex-USA tickets for CW/F is set very high for reasons only known to BA).

Also though it can be the case that when using the "book and upgrade at the same time" function, the web-booking tool fails to offer you the lowest price WT+ fare (search here in this forum for "DIF" fares to see examples of this). In that case the solution is that you have to call up and make the booking and then upgrade afterwards (or make the booking in WT+ online and immediately call up to apply the voucher).
EDIflyer likes this.
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jun 22, 18, 1:43 am
  #713  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 260
Thanks, all done over the phone 1306
EDIflyer and GinFizz like this.
MrCheapSeats is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:33 am
  #714  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Posts: 1,229
Hi,

I have some questions about GUF2:

1) Does BA still extend the expiry date? I have done in the past, but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is no longer the case.
2) Lets say I use my GUF2 - On BA I can price up LHR-DEL Return - Outbound 12/08 19:30 in PE and Inbound 22/08 01:50 in CLUB for 2 Persons at GBP 3057.22 Total. Is this good price? I would then like to my GUF2 for upgrade to CLUB on Outbound and Inbound to FIRST. Can a GUF2 be used across mixed cabins?
3) Final question, Both passengers would be travelling out on the 12/08. However one prefers to return on 22/08 and the other on 27/08. Is this possible? The price for both returns is the same.
4) Note the return in PE is double that of CLUB .. so it makes sense.
deboyzoned is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:36 am
  #715  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,641
Originally Posted by deboyzoned View Post
I have some questions about GUF2:
You may want to have a look at this thread, including its wikipost: BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Globaliser is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:38 am
  #716  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,580
Originally Posted by deboyzoned View Post
Hi,

I have some questions about GUF2:

1) Does BA still extend the expiry date? I have done in the past, but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is no longer the case.
2) Lets say I use my GUF2 - On BA I can price up LHR-DEL Return - Outbound 12/08 19:30 in PE and Inbound 22/08 01:50 in CLUB for 2 Persons at GBP 3057.22 Total. Is this good price? I would then like to my GUF2 for upgrade to CLUB on Outbound and Inbound to FIRST. Can a GUF2 be used across mixed cabins?
3) Final question, Both passengers would be travelling out on the 12/08. However one prefers to return on 22/08 and the other on 27/08. Is this possible? The price for both returns is the same.
4) Note the return in PE is double that of CLUB .. so it makes sense.
1) yes, 6 month extension is fine, also the booking just needs to be made by expiry date of the voucher with flights at a later date
2) yes it can be used for a mixed cabin return so you book WTP out and CW back, and then GUF so both end up in CW out and F back
3) not possible, if you want both to be on the same booking (so you can use a GUF2 to upgrade both) they must both be booked on the same flights

More information in the GUF guide linked ot in the dashboard
KARFA is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:44 am
  #717  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Posts: 1,229
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
1) yes, 6 month extension is fine, also the booking just needs to be made by expiry date of the voucher with flights at a later date
2) yes it can be used for a mixed cabin return so you book WTP out and CW back, and then GUF so both end up in CW out and F back
3) not possible, if you want both to be on the same booking (so you can use a GUF2 to upgrade both) they must both be booked on the same flights

More information in the GUF guide linked ot in the dashboard
Thanks Karfa, I suspected that was the case with point 3.
deboyzoned is offline  
Old Jul 2, 18, 10:30 am
  #718  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SIN
Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Posts: 347
Hi, just wanted to seek some advice on the GUF2 and some other matter.

1. I've extended my GUF2 once before for 6 months, would BA be kind to extend for another say 3-4 months?
2. I want to use my GUF2 at the start of my membership year which is in April 2018. However, there's a pretty good sale ex KUL that ends on 31st March. Would BA be willing to "shorten" or bring forward the expiry of membership year?

Thanks.
tango3 is offline  
Old Jul 2, 18, 10:43 am
  #719  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,641
Originally Posted by tango3 View Post
2. I want to use my GUF2 at the start of my membership year which is in April 2018. However, there's a pretty good sale ex KUL that ends on 31st March. Would BA be willing to "shorten" or bring forward the expiry of membership year?
Do you mean that you want to travel before the end of March 2019 but have the TPs for the trip count for the membership year that starts on 9 April 2019 (presumably you don't really mean 2018)? If so, then the answer is no.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:01 am
  #720  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SIN
Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Do you mean that you want to travel before the end of March 2019 but have the TPs for the trip count for the membership year that starts on 9 April 2019 (presumably you don't really mean 2018)? If so, then the answer is no.
Ah thanks! Shucks, looks like I'll have to try my luck with BA to extend the GUF2.
tango3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread