Understanding GUF2

Old Sep 18, 17, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks View Post
Tier points question.
Presume a GUF2 redemption will deliver TP and Avios from the booked cabin, not the upgraded one?
Some mixed messaging in the Mileage Run Deals thread has got me confused...
It is supposed to be the booked cabin.

If you get the upgraded cabin, keep it under your hat.
Old Sep 18, 17, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have a look at KARFA's great new wiki

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ki-thread.html
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 18, 17, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post

If you get the upgraded cabin, keep it under your hat.
Mumms the word 😜👍
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
A colleague has a GUF2 expiring in two days, we both have a business trip that takes us to HKG and then KUL so looking at open jaw LHR-HKG KUL-LHR and he will quite nicely add me as no2 on his GUF2 for that trip. However, its near Christmas and he'd quite like to extend his trip to see friends in OZ, so taking a separate flight from KUL to OZ and then a later flight home than myself KUL to LHR (maybe 7 days later) Is that even possible to utilise the GUF2 that we both fly out on same flight but return on different dates?
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Unfortunately not. Both parties need to be on the same PNR when using a GUF2, so you would have to book a combined, one way itinerary on the outbound to use the GUF and separate itineraries on the return, which could prove expensive.

Has your colleague asked BA for a six month extension? These are generally granted without too much fuss...
Old Sep 24, 17, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Unfortunately not. Both parties need to be on the same PNR when using a GUF2, so you would have to book a combined, one way itinerary on the outbound to use the GUF and separate itineraries on the return, which could prove expensive.

Has your colleague asked BA for a six month extension? These are generally granted without too much fuss...
Already at end of 6month extension sadly

What if booked the LHR-HKG/KUL-LHR itenery and then he chose to change his return flight to a later date afterwards. Would both need to be on later date?
Old Sep 25, 17, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Infocustv View Post
Would both need to be on later date?
Yes, because if the two passengers return on different dates, the PNR must be split. If they are no longer on the same PNR ... well, you know the answer to that one!
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:26 am

Programs: KL Plat; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Gold; SU Gold
As long as you are changing within the fare rules and there is availability in the original, paid booking class, as well as A class for the upgrade to First, the GUF should not be lost. If you are having trouble, try asking BA directly to change the ticket for you. The fact that you have already flown the outbound means they will now have control of the ticket.
If BA changes a TA issued ticket upgraded with GUF will award inventory be required or BA will book into the originally ticketed booking classes?
Old Oct 15, 17, 2:30 pm

And one more: BA marketed non-BA operated flights are permitted on a TA booking eligible for GUF upgrade from what i see in earlier posts from 2015 and 2016 here. Is this still the case?
Old Oct 15, 17, 4:34 pm

It's unclear and seems very much to depend on which way the wind is blowing when you make your booking. By looking at the terms, it appears to forbid any non-BA carriers. Point 7 of BA's GUF terms states -

7. Gold Upgrade vouchers cannot be applied to a booking containing any carriers other than British Airways.

However, there is evidence on there that it hasn't been allowed. I guess all you can do is try...
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
It's unclear and seems very much to depend on which way the wind is blowing when you make your booking. By looking at the terms, it appears to forbid any non-BA carriers. Point 7 of BA's GUF terms states -

7. Gold Upgrade vouchers cannot be applied to a booking containing any carriers other than British Airways.

However, there is evidence on there that it hasn't been allowed. I guess all you can do is try...
I used one the other day for a booking that had 4 BA metal flights and an AA metal flight. All 4 BA were upgraded without issue.
Old Oct 16, 17, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Keter View Post
And one more: BA marketed non-BA operated flights are permitted on a TA booking eligible for GUF upgrade from what i see in earlier posts from 2015 and 2016 here. Is this still the case?
I called EC and the agent was confident that BA will change to originally ticketed booking classes (ie revenue classes and not to award classes). He did not want to double check this unlike the other 2 questions that i asked him.
Old Oct 16, 17, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Keter View Post
I called EC and the agent was confident that BA will change to originally ticketed booking classes (ie revenue classes and not to award classes). He did not want to double check this unlike the other 2 questions that i asked him.
If this were a TA booking and therefore booked in to a revenue class after applying the GUF, why would BA be changing anything? Surely any changes need to be done by the TA?

I doubt that even if a change were needed and the TA had to do it, your booking would move in to a reward class. TAs have nothing to do with reward selling classes and it would be the TA doing the change.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 16, 17 at 3:31 am
Old Oct 16, 17, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by xenole View Post
I used one the other day for a booking that had 4 BA metal flights and an AA metal flight. All 4 BA were upgraded without issue.
That's great to hear ^
Old Oct 16, 17, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
If this were a TA booking and therefore booked in to a revenue class after applying the GUF, why would BA be changing anything? Surely any changes need to be done by the TA?

I doubt that even if a change were needed and the TA had to do it, your booking would move in to a reward class. TAs have nothing to do with reward selling classes and it would be the TA doing the change.
Well that's the reply i got, and of course this is the scenario for partially used ticket only.
For sure what you say has its logic. Probably will need to check again.

The pending questions (email reply promised):

1) Applying 2 GUF1s to a booking for 2 passengers via BA and TA - where or not possible to split on a later date. The original answer was that it is not possible to apply GUF1 to a booking with more than one passenger.... Does not make sense and contradicts what i read here so i asked to double check.

2) Possibility of rerouting a TA issued ticket upgraded with GUF to an itinerary with non BA flights (either BA or non BA marketed).

The agent was also surprised when he said that booking via BA allows non-BA flights while TA booking only required BA marketed and operated flights after he read the rules saying that a GUF cannot be applied to a booking with non-BA flights. He said with BA it is possible despite this (that we all know here).

Search this Thread