Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Therefore due to lack of space because of the round catering, the product offered is a box with roll, wrap, Lilly Obrien chocolate pot and cheese and biscuits.
I had one of these earlier this week and this is what it looks like.

(apologies for the poor photos, it was a night flight and I didn't want to disturb anyone with the flash).

I volunteered for this in CE and it was sufficiently filling for this trencherman manqué. The rolls were "Greek inspired flatbread", chicken, feta cheese, salad items and harrissa dressing; plus "Egg and slow roast tomato brioche".
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Question

I am a bit confused by different sources about the special meals.
I'm flying HAM-LHR-HAM - so band 2 - next month in CE and the flights are in the dinner and lunch time slots.

While I wouldn't mind a salad, I noticed that 4 of the 6 listed in this thread have seafood in them. I don't have food allergies but don't like seafood. I think a special meal would be a good alternative. Better than BA loading a normal meal that I wouldn't eat just to throw it away.

This thread as well as ba.com list "Asian vegetarian" as "Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content." - Sounds great.

Then there's "Hindu", which is listed here as "Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal." but on the BA website "Does not contain: fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. This is a meat free, spicy meal." - BA's version sounds "safe"

Obviously a big company always keeps their website up to date and the post about the special meals on here is over a year old, so I just selected "Asian Vegetarian" for the dinner (HAM-LHR) and "Hindu" for the lunch (LHR-HAM).
When I checked it in the My Flights app, I was even more confused:
The "Asian Vegetarian" is shown as "Vegetarian Hindu" and the "Hindu" is shown as "Hindu (non vegetarian)".

Does anyone have some experience what the difference actually is?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The Hindu and Asian vegetarian meals are now exactly the same, so they are both spicy vegetarian meals that do not include egg.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:38 pm

Emirates has no troble serving hot meals on flghts out of LCA

British Airways has been gradually spending less and less on catering, amenities etc; the disappearance of hot food is part of this trend and the company' self-congratulatory publicity about their commitment to customers is a lot of hot air. Of course people prefer to use other carriers.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by lhrpete
A3 are now operating a range of services from LCA, they can't be lifting the catering in ATH for all of them as the aircraft don't necessarily return there between rotations.

I've started using TK in C to Cyprus, OK the Greeks don't like it but the service LHR (or for that matter LGW, BHX or EDI) to IST offers proper C seats including long haul product on some services from LHR, transit is quick, sometimes only sixty minutes and then there is a second meal service on the way to ECN. I've now done it over a dozen times and wouldn't revert to the BA service for anything, it's just not in the same league.

That's a great shout.

Instead of bleating about BA's onslaught and simply continuing to use them I'm currently burning avios and vouchers but any new cash bookings are going elsewhere.

It will take a year to wind down redemption BA London - Cyprus for me (not a bad thing as direct flights are a real possibility by then).............and after that it will be TK in business.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I'm still non-the wiser as to why BA can't provide an afternoon tea for vegetarians in Club Europe. I mentioned it to the Food and Drink BA people at the Open Day. It's provided in Club World. I end up with a poxy salad every time, and the tray doesn't include jam or cream. So when they CC (who are non the wiser) offer you a scone, there's always a ad scramble as they try to see if there's any spare jam or cream in the galley. A premium experience it is not as you feel like they're 'doing you a favour'.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
apologies for the odd typo above -- I really need to re-read my submissions, every time I post!!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Am I correct in assuming that there is only one bar run on Band 3 flights? If so, is it possible to ask for another alcoholic drink from the galley?

I'm not usually a big drinker while flying, but will be met by thirty drunk university students the other end. I'd like to have enough booze to be able to survive the night while still being sober enough to be responsible.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Am I correct in assuming that there is only one bar run on Band 3 flights? If so, is it possible to ask for another alcoholic drink from the galley?

I'm not usually a big drinker while flying, but will be met by thirty drunk university students the other end. I'd like to have enough booze to be able to survive the night while still being sober enough to be responsible.
Only one drinks run in ET on band 3, but you can ask for 2 (or even 3!) drinks during the service. Failing that, you can press the call button or go to the galley for another drink.

Sounds like the fun will begin at the other end though!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by headingwest
Only one drinks run in ET on band 3, but you can ask for 2 (or even 3!) drinks during the service. Failing that, you can press the call button or go to the galley for another drink.

Sounds like the fun will begin at the other end though!
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm back at university earning another degree, and making up for being too studious the first time around. This trip is with my university surfing society. I'm looking forward to giving surfing a go, as most of my aquatic sports so far have been under the water (scuba).

I'm flying ET the way out (middle seat), since I couldn't see the value of paying £99 to upgrade to Afternoon Tea.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Can anyone explain what, if any, difference there is between Cityflyer and mainline services? I am off to AMS in CE ex LCY and wondered if we would be offered the standard afternoon tea service (mid afternoon flight).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Can anyone explain what, if any, difference there is between Cityflyer and mainline services? I am off to AMS in CE ex LCY and wondered if we would be offered the standard afternoon tea service (mid afternoon flight).
Cityflyer generally offers a slightly more extensive service. On an afternoon tea flight, there is usually a small quiche or something similar alongside the usual sandwiches, cake and scones.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan1974
British Airways has been gradually spending less and less on catering, amenities etc; the disappearance of hot food is part of this trend and the company' self-congratulatory publicity about their commitment to customers is a lot of hot air. Of course people prefer to use other carriers.
I believe the Emirates flight terminates in Malta, where catering is uplifted. The good news is that a new catering company is now operational in LCA, a contract has been signed, and hot meals return from July 9th.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
The good news is that a new catering company is now operational in LCA, a contract has been signed, and hot meals return from July 9th.
^
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VIE-LHR, CE

Can anyone tell me on VIE-LHR Club Europe, what is served for the lunch time, and what is served for the afternoon tea time?

Trying to choose which flight to take, departure time versus meal on board, among other things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.