Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I flew to Stockholm last night in CE.

Not having flown this far on short haul for a while, I was surprised to see a hot meal. I was even more surprised to find that it was excellent - fish on a bed of mash with veggies. Very tasty, properly cooked. I would have been happy to get it as a CW main on long haul yet alone short haul.

Perhaps J food is picking up as promised?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Same meal as I had last night in CE on LHR-LIN (Band 2 iirc).

It was described as "Wasabi Cod on a Bed of Mashed Potato and Chinese Vegetables".
Shame it was served with Stilton! Bleurgh!
Old May 11, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CocoPops

It was described as "Wasabi Cod on a Bed of Mashed Potato and Chinese Vegetables".
LIN and MXP are (just) Band 3. Sweet spot as they are Band 1 redemptions.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ENTP
LIN and MXP are (just) Band 3. Sweet spot as they are Band 1 redemptions.
Interesting.

Might look at a redemption then for the wife when I'm travelling for work. Go and see the expo.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Not having flown this far on short haul for a while, I was surprised to see a hot meal. I was even more surprised to find that it was excellent - fish on a bed of mash with veggies. Very tasty, properly cooked. I would have been happy to get it as a CW main on long haul yet alone short haul.

It appears so. I had my first reconfigured A320 J-cabin experience, horrendously Ryanair-esque in the amount of personal space and contortions required to read a newspaper, more so as I was stepping off a 13 hours flight and ended up with a back ache. But the highlight was the breakfast as the "Italian style cold plate of salami, prosciutto, Parmesan, olive, sun dried tomato, ricotta and artichoke served with wild berry Bircher muesli" was surprisingly and memorably good ^
Old May 15, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm allergic to eggs so can't have the full English breakfast in CE.

Previously on a flight to ARN in CE I had the breakfast that had the the yoghurt/muesli pot (CSD just referred to it as the cold option).

Any idea what special meal this is so I can pre select this for my flight next month?

Last edited by Down Low; May 15, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by davidrr16
I'm allergic to eggs so can't have the full English breakfast in CE.

Previously on a flight to ARN in CE I had the breakfast that had the the yoghurt/muesli pot (CSD just referred to it as the cold option).

Any idea what special meal this is so I can pre select this for my flight next month?
It isn't a special meal. It's the "cold option", part of the "regular meal" choices - see post #2. No need to select a special meal.

However, if you're allergic to eggs and want to absolutely ensure that preference is met, then you should play safe and select "Lacto Ovo Vegetarian" meals.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks very much I'll do that.

Just wondered if the regular cold breakfast was possible to select as a special meal.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by davidrr16
Thanks very much I'll do that.

Just wondered if the regular cold breakfast was possible to select as a special meal.
No; but try to sit as far forward as possible in the cabin to ensure you get it before it runs out. I've no idea if it's a popular choice or not to be honest; I usually get a special meal at breakfast time on Band 1-3.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
However, if you're allergic to eggs and want to absolutely ensure that preference is met, then you should play safe and select "Lacto Ovo Vegetarian" meals.
"Lacto Ovo" means the meal may contain dairy (lacto) and/or eggs (ovo). So it might not be the best option for someone with an egg allergy! "Vegan" shouldn't contain either so would be a safer bet, but could be fairly dull...
Old May 15, 2015, 2:31 pm

Short haul catering guide

Oops... I thought it excluded those! My bad.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
"Lacto Ovo" means the meal may contain dairy (lacto) and/or eggs (ovo). So it might not be the best option for someone with an egg allergy! "Vegan" shouldn't contain either so would be a safer bet, but could be fairly dull...
Haven't had the breakfast yet, but last time for a dinner-time flight the meal was quite uninspired. A few wedges of tofu set on a couple leaves of lettuce. Dessert was an apple.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Raffles
I flew to Stockholm last night in CE.

If getting a real meal (and that is a big "if" nowadays as it implies avoiding the long "brunch" and "afternoon tea" periods), CE food has been better than CW for several years now.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Some new band 3 Y salads seem to have been introduced. Had a small ratatouille pasta with boconccini one which was better than the previous pasta with pesto that it is presumably replacing. Finally "real plastic cutlery" (I know it sounds like an oxymoron but is much preferable to the tiny folded mini fork which was previously directly found in your food).

On the other hand, catering on band 3 Y from LGW has deteriorated with some particularly nasty mini sandwiches instead of the previous wrap/sandwich combination that had replaced the "two wraps" packages.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by CocoPops

That was offered on my flight yesterday too. Clearly a new favourite.

I instead had chicken with gnocchi in a tomato sauce which was also very nice. I remember thinking that it would be great to have something half as decent in Club World.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.