Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Was speaking to a lady from the Product team at the Open Day on Saturday who was saying that as BA give the food out as opposed to sell it, it is much harder to gain an understanding of the quantities needed, so it appears to be very difficult to strike a balance.

She was also saying that the same also applies to the Amenity Kits, so perhaps there isn't one for every passenger onboard in Club?
Well I think the wash bags are loaded according to the number of passengers. They used to be loaded for the number of seats but then there was wastage.

When it comes to the short haul catering, on certain flights there is a lot of wastage which the company is trying to overcome, however it is pretty tricky as on the more leisure routes or the flights that depart over an actual meal period, often everyone does want to eat, so under catering does not always work.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Yes, it always has varied from flight to flight, even before these new rolls came in. We used to offer a veg cheese sandwich before on some flights as the veg alternative and a veg salads on others. Now we offer a veg roll box some flights and a veg salad others.
Yes very strange indeed. I think I got offered a cheese sandwich once but I asked if there was not salad and was given one! I do take at least 30 band 3 Y a year so I imagine that this can't have been 50-50 as I would have almost necessarily got the sandwich more often. Have they rebalanced perhaps?

Since bringing in these sticky buns, the latest is a fruit bun instead of the lemon one, we find that a lot of the people who want the veg option are upset they don't get the sticky bun
Kids I must admit that I found the currant bun with cherry sickenly sweet although it was quite good (definitely much better than the roll!) I would have been much happier on my band 3 outstations breakfast to be offered the bun rather than the ghastly cheese and "spread" sandwich as I tend to have more of a sweet morning tooth!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Hi: Does anyone know what I'll be offered in Club Europe on the 16:50 Madrid departure on Friday afternoon? I'm assuming it'll be afternoon tea. Is that a correct assumption?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Sadly so. A bit of a joke really. There is an IB A321 25 minutes later with service that I deem appropriate for that time of day.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
Sadly so. A bit of a joke really. There is an IB A321 25 minutes later with service that I deem appropriate for that time of day.
I'll eat my dinner in the F lounge before boarding then. I was booked on that IB service but asked BA to rebook as I'm worried about missing a MAD connection due to all the strikes this week in Spain, knock on effects etc.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Hi: Does anyone know what I'll be offered in Club Europe on the 16:50 Madrid departure on Friday afternoon? I'm assuming it'll be afternoon tea. Is that a correct assumption?
Afternoon tea. A bit of a long sector to be having that on...if it was up to me I'd banish afternoon tea from Band 3s. Fill up in the lounge!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040
Afternoon tea. A bit of a long sector to be having that on...if it was up to me I'd banish afternoon tea from Band 3s. Fill up in the lounge!
Thanks I will! Dinner in the lounge (taking a day room after a night shift: Thistle..bargain at £45) then back two stops on the free local bus to T5.

Will have lunch and a few quaffs between about 14:30-16:15 ahead of boarding.

Afternoon tea on the plane (I'm a veggie, but refuse to pre-order a 'special meal' as it' ALWAYS a rank salad). Then more sarnies in MAD in the IB lounge before a connection to Almeria. Onboard that one hour flight, they normally stick the menu in your face and say: have what you like. Wine, cheese and red wine then pls!!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Band 4 hot catering gone on LHR -LCA in ET?

A friend of mine has in the last few days flown Scotland - LHR- Cyprus (LCA) and return.
Chatting over a pint, he said he enjoyed a hot breakfast on the Scottish route, but all that was offered on the 767 to LCA was a choice of wrap and a chocolate type pot...
Is this correct? And If so is it just on the LCA run or all B4s?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's a hot meal to LHR, are you sure he didn't travel to LGW, I think they have a inferior product?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:03 pm

Thanks CIHY.... He said 767 and Lhr but.....
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Band 4 hot catering gone on LHR -LCA in ET?

A friend of mine has in the last few days flown Scotland - LHR- Cyprus (LCA) and return.
Chatting over a pint, he said he enjoyed a hot breakfast on the Scottish route, but all that was offered on the 767 to LCA was a choice of wrap and a chocolate type pot...
Is this correct? And If so is it just on the LCA run or all B4s?
Yes it's correct, a cold sandwich box on the LCA from Heathrow (and back again). It changed when Cyprus Airways catering closed down meaning catering is carried for the round trip, and unfortunately we seem incapable of producing a hot meal on smaller trays. We field numerous complaints and many of us now carry complaint forms and pens in our waistcoats ready to hand out during the service. It's the same for all band 4 round trip catered routes (ie most of the new leisure routes). Club Meals are all on one tray with a hot main, cheese plate and desert, but no salad. I'll apologise in advance, and suggest you do what the crew do and self cater. Search the forum (easier said than done) for the Grrr Larnaca thread.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:24 am

Sooo... On some B4 routes you get a hot meal, (at the moment) and on others you don't, depending as to whether BA can up load catering at the outstation....
As a passenger, it would be helpful to know which routes that Is!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Sooo... On some B4 routes you get a hot meal, (at the moment) and on others you don't, depending as to whether BA can up load catering at the outstation....
As a passenger, it would be helpful to know which routes that Is!
The balance is slowly but surely shifting away from hot meal in Y on all band 4 to hot meal in Y in a minority of band 4 (the likes of ATH, IST, etc but not the new "leisure" destinations from LHR, none of the LGW routes, no LCA, etc). My main fear is that BA will "improve consistency" by going down to the lowest common denominator and move to a "band 3 plus" snack on all band 4 routes instead. Of course, the comparison with TK or A3 will be laughable which is probably what makes them keep those remaining few band 4 hot meal routes thus far.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's a hot meal to LHR, are you sure he didn't travel to LGW, I think they have a inferior product?
Due to the demise of Cypres Airways and so also their catering company, all flights to LCA are now round catered.

Therefore due to lack of space because of the round catering, the product offered is a box with roll, wrap, Lilly Obrien chocolate pot and cheese and biscuits.

I think some regular winter style customers were upset about this but I must say on my flight recently with a more holiday centric style of customer, we had no complaints and people liked the box.

On most of the new style holiday island destinations the product is also a box but on the majority of Band 4 flights at LHR where it is possible, the hot meal is still part of the service.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Due to the demise of Cypres Airways and so also their catering company, all flights to LCA are now round catered.

Therefore due to lack of space because of the round catering, the product offered is a box with roll, wrap, Lilly Obrien chocolate pot and cheese and biscuits.

I think some regular winter style customers were upset about this but I must say on my flight recently with a more holiday centric style of customer, we had no complaints and people liked the box.

On most of the new style holiday island destinations the product is also a box but on the majority of Band 4 flights at LHR where it is possible, the hot meal is still part of the service.
What is a winter style customer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.