Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On rest of the day flights af bar has a greater selection than ba's and better quality in c.
... but an extremely limited one in Y...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I had four CE-flights this week. Is it just me or has the food, drinks and service really improved lately? (ARN-LHR-BUD-LHR-ARN).

Tasty tagliatelle with prawns, warm tandoori chicken salad. They even switched to a proper cheese as a dessert. The red wine totally drinkable ^ Fresh warm bread.

Also on all four flights, crew checking if the glass is empty and offer more drinks throughout the flight ^
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR, SPG, HHonors
Flying CE LHR-LCA in around 10 days.
Myself and my wife keep "Kosher", but happy to eat veggie/fish etc (i.e. any food apart from non-kosher meat, fish etc). What should I expect if I order a Kosher meal? Better than WT? How about veggie?

just debating whether to order a special meal or hope that there's something we can enjoy (likely fish) from the on-board catering
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Lobengula
I had four CE-flights this week. Is it just me or has the food, drinks and service really improved lately? (ARN-LHR-BUD-LHR-ARN).

Tasty tagliatelle with prawns, warm tandoori chicken salad. They even switched to a proper cheese as a dessert. The red wine totally drinkable Fresh warm bread.

Also on all four flights, crew checking if the glass is empty and offer more drinks throughout the flight
I've always found CE food to be anywhere from reasonable to excellent. Only had one poor meal.

There is a nice red Chilean wine they do on board, the name of which I forget.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:52 pm
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jsto
Myself and my wife keep "Kosher", but happy to eat veggie/fish etc (i.e. any food apart from non-kosher meat, fish etc). What should I expect if I order a Kosher meal? Better than WT? How about veggie?

just debating whether to order a special meal or hope that there's something we can enjoy (likely fish) from the on-board catering
Having the same issue here. Flying CE in a couple of days, ordered an Asian Veggie special meal and left the other one unchanged. Hope to get some seafood/fish with a standard meal. Will confirm then.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:22 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt

Got the following flying from HEL-LHR in CE yesterday:

Standard Meal:
Tagliatelle with prawns in lobster sauce

Asian Veggie Special Meal:
Veggie curry with paneer

Both were great!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
... but an extremely limited one in Y...
Actually, as often with AF, it is far more complicated than that. The other day, on NCE-CDG-CPH all in Y:

- NCE-CDG late morning only had beer, wine, and whisky (??!).

- Then afternoon CDG-CPH had the likes of Port, Pastis, Vodka, Cognac, etc. which is more than almost any other European airline I can think of with the possible exception of TK!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Saash
Got the following flying from HEL-LHR in CE yesterday:

Standard Meal:
Tagliatelle with prawns in lobster sauce

Asian Veggie Special Meal:
Veggie curry with paneer

Both were great!
thanks, prawns/lobster don't really work for a kosher diet so maybe will play it safe and just order 2 kosher meals. though paneer curry sounds great so tempted to order one of them!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot understand how a Band 3 which arrives 8PM can be afternoon tea and there is no choice but made yesterday evening afternoon tea! Awful! On top of that, there is afternoon tea in GF for those who want it.

If I order a child's meal would it be hot? Like fish sticks or something?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways

I recommend you order two kosher meals and then you will know you can eat the food.
We do sometimes have a fish choice but not always, so I would not recommend you leave it to chance.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Calchas
Not on AF/KL?? Been a while since I had a red wine on an early morning domestic AF. But I know they are cutting back.
Early morning BHX-CDG somebody asked for a sparkling water but they didn't have it - only tea / coffee or still water. "Full service" hmm. Could have had a G&T on BA had they wanted it!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:18 pm

Has anyone done the KEF route yet? Do we know if it's Band 3 or 4 catering; and if 4 do ET get a hot meal or the LGW-style slightly-bigger-sandwich?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I can confirm veggie afternoon tea has now been transformed out of Gatwick. No more salads (and crews scrabbling around in the galley looking for a spare clotted cream and jam. Three finger cheese salad sandwiches were served up to me in CE. I was astonished after many 'rounds' of salad over the years…
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I can confirm veggie afternoon tea has now been transformed out of Gatwick. No more salads (and crews scrabbling around in the galley looking for a spare clotted cream and jam. Three finger cheese salad sandwiches were served up to me in CE. I was astonished after many 'rounds' of salad over the years…
I had the veggie salad afternoon tea in CE yesterday, but out of LHR. I'd quite like to join in with the sandwich eaters so I hope the salad is enhanced from Heathrow as well.

Last edited by gingeola; Nov 24, 2015 at 11:29 am Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:32 am

It's such a terrible shame that whilst food in CE continues to see improvement, food in ET continues its apparent inexorable descent towards inedibility. Yesterday, flying from NCE to LHR departing at 2030 (ish, in this case), we were served a tiny, miserable ham sandwich and an inedible chocolate orange 'bun', which was perhaps the most hideous piece of sponge I've ever had the misfortune to attempt to eat, with all the texture and taste of sawdust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.